Model Cars Magazine Forum

'58 Edsel Phantom Wagon

Plowboy

6 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

This cool Rodger.  I did see one drawn up like yours but they angled the back so the shelf was not as long by the rear hatch. This is not as close as to what you are doing as I thought it was.See the source image

I thought about leaning the backend in. But, decided against it. I was concerned that it would make the side profile look wonky. Plus, I would have to fix the taillight housings to get them back to vertical. I have the interior worked out enough that I should be able to cut the hatch loose. I'm really hoping that I can make a hinge that won't show.

Thanx guys! I got the interior and floor pan fitted to the body. Everything is fitting pretty well. I've had to make a few adjustments. I need to do some filling in at the rear of the floor pan. I reworked the inner wheel wells up front to be able to lower it. Next will be getting the chassis and drivetrain worked out. 

20200426_095024-1.jpg.9784a4cfe30683bb41e6f6d20dd02cf0.jpg

20200426_095144-1.jpg

Edited by Plowboy

I got the suspension worked out. The track on the front needs to be narrowed. That's an easy fix. I'm using the kit suspension and just going to add a rack and pinion. The rear needs to be a little lower. Maybe a couple of mms. But, I can work with this! 

20200426_140640-1.jpg.ab9fbdfec712526185eea7ee40d606e6.jpg

20200426_140729-1.jpg.b0f890756604254544e57a37d09474c2.jpg

Now I just gotta get an engine and transmission together. Then I can make some real progress!

I got the hatch opened and hinged today. I designed the hinges so that the hatch can be removed. I haven't deburred anything yet as I want to wait until everything is dried well before I try to remove it. But, it works!

20200427_234832-1.jpg.775c78f7773c8f2bfbb82632db98924f.jpg

20200427_235047-1.jpg.11fd5231a2a43d0afa746c2da975111a.jpg

The cargo pan came right where it should be.

20200428_000031-1.jpg.91ac435f1303c2b888891abbbcd0479f.jpg

I got the engine together enough to test fit. I had to flip the oil pan around to make it a front sump and it slid right in. I just have to make motor mounts to be finished with the fitting. I dread making a set of headers for it. I may have to make changes to the frame to make room. 

20200427_235653-1.jpg.7ad36a14d1ca44016c9f90e5879abdcd.jpg

14 hours ago, David G. said:

Good job on the tailgate!

It looks heavy though. It would need some beefy support pistons. Or maybe back in the 50's some heavy flat coil springs.

I sure wouldn't to get whacked on the head with it.

David G.

Thanx! I doubt it would be much, if any, heavier than the lift gate on a modern SUV. Especially if it were made from fiberglass. 

One thing that's really been bugging me with this model is the frame. It hangs down too far and shows too much. Last night, I took care of that issue by installing 2.5 mm skirts to the bottom of the body. I then added a strip of .040 half round over the joint. No body work! The plan is to foil the half round after paint. It made a huge difference in the way it looks! The frame is now hidden and it visually looks lower even though it isn't.  

I agree with everyone on the look of the Tail Gate. Good idea to hide the Frame Rails from the side view. Ford products from that era had the same problem with the Frame being visible from the side. Have you come up with a color scheme yet ?  

3 hours ago, espo said:

I agree with everyone on the look of the Tail Gate. Good idea to hide the Frame Rails from the side view. Ford products from that era had the same problem with the Frame being visible from the side. Have you come up with a color scheme yet ?  

Right now, the plan is to paint the whole body with Tamiya Mica Silver, mask the cove and lift gate off (possibly the roof), shoot the rest with Tamiya Mica Red. But, I also want to paint it something very different from the norm. 

7 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Right now, the plan is to paint the whole body with Tamiya Mica Silver, mask the cove and lift gate off (possibly the roof), shoot the rest with Tamiya Mica Red. But, I also want to paint it something very different from the norm. 

The photo shopped pictures of the Red Edsel wagon on this thread  is a good example, but you might want to use a different color just because.  While not realistic, the Wood Trim does look nice. I would go with something bold, something you've wanted to use for a long time but just haven't found the right model for it.