Model Cars Magazine Forum

FHP 02 Camaro

kymdlr

On 5/29/2020 at 10:43 AM, espo said:

Very nice looking State Trooper. I notice that they seem to only have blue lights in the light bar. 

You are partly correct, for years FHP only used blue lights. Based on some studies a while back that showed a difference in visibility of red and blue depending on daylight or night, they started using a combination of red and blue. The lights either flashed blue only or red/blue, and a sensor in the lightbar controlled that. This first started a few years ago, not sure if they still use this system. Either way, when the lightbar is activated, there will always be blue flashing because in most states in the south blue indicates law enforcement.

On 5/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, kymdlr said:

Florida Highway Patrol used these in the early 2000’s. Using a junked revell Kit that I picked up at a show for $3 & a couple aftermarket decals/parts, I made this. 

C0041FE9-AA7F-43E7-B4AA-D48C7B95D89B.jpeg

8AC6E730-3334-401D-9BC4-4A498F8C2D4E.jpeg

44E2C213-72FD-4B5E-BD8D-A13EF6E7BC2A.jpeg

962AFFC2-C5BE-4C5A-BDDA-DF7FF778F637.jpeg

EF2E5AAA-214B-4CE6-BDEC-6104BABC1D61.jpeg

Nice job! Those were one year only, and most Troopers liked the speed, but disliked the uncomfortable seats and the downtime in the shop!  I built one and presented to a great Trooper friend at his retirement party. I'll have to get with him someday and get some pics of it.

19 hours ago, rkeel said:

You are partly correct, for years FHP only used blue lights. Based on some studies a while back that showed a difference in visibility of red and blue depending on daylight or night, they started using a combination of red and blue. The lights either flashed blue only or red/blue, and a sensor in the lightbar controlled that. This first started a few years ago, not sure if they still use this system. Either way, when the lightbar is activated, there will always be blue flashing because in most states in the south blue indicates law enforcement.

Thank you for the additional information about the light system. Interesting how different regions approach things differently. The Black and Tan or Gold paint job is also a different style but seems unique to Florida.