Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

A couple of more pix of progress made.  Deciding it was time to begin the truck body I got out the 0.030 plastic sheet stock and some strip stock of various sizes and went to work.  I adjusted the length to a 10' long body.  Somewhere in the process the sides got wracked so that it was not square.  It was taken apart sufficient to make a new floor and square up the sides and front.  The upper portion was going to be of plastic but the brass is so much easier to bend and when soldered together looks better scale wise.  A tailgate and lifting mechanism still have to be done and there are some details left on the chassis to complete.

050.JPG.50cedfadddd3d2411343f2bc2ba73f40.JPG052.JPG.de1560ec1ed2184ac7004524d42a557e.JPG053.JPG.91504b63b71747e2c2c3e84f0ff33922.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the body lifting mechanism done today.  It's an older style but the photo in the background shows that it was really done at least some of the time.  I would have expected a slightly more modern version of mechanical arms and just the piston but this is were we're at.

055.JPG.52b2010b6a7b1629b2fa77d81efa1bab.JPG

The piston in the photo above is in the retracted position.  When moved back the inner rollers apply pressure against the curved runners and move the body up.

054.JPG.e1112fce83587c698df7e039d007cfe8.JPG

And this is where it would be at full extension.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your engineering and design is fabulous.....I love the box, and the lift hoist mechanism.... I have never seen that type before, I always had the impression that the old iron used the scissor lift set up, this is really cool.... love what your doing ....

Link to post
Share on other sites

The work on the tailgate is done.  Although the option of adding a small sliding gate was appealing, I think I will forego it on this one and concentrate on just the basics.  The operating tailgate is taking shape though with the mechanical side of things done and ready to install.  The bottom needs to be painted first though.

056.JPG.7c1940bb8ec20d80314f10e06803d32c.JPG

In the photo are the latches that go through the end of the body attached to a long rod that is hidden underneath.  The handle for opening and closing the latches is at the corner of the body.  The connecting rod is in the middle.  It will be soldered to the handle after installation to insure that both the handle and latches are in the correct position for operation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Charles, your attention to detail and ability to fabricate them so that they work is amazing!

The lift mechanism is odd...I love it though. Some of those old engineers came up with amazingly simple solutions. Only moving parts are the cylinder and rollers

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to well agree with Tim, your engineering is spot on and extremely detailed, and that tail gate locking system worked well , until the guy before you pulled on the handle too hard with a bound up tail gate and bent the rod ! Ask me how I know !!!  LOL!!  Excellent detailing, just excellent.... an absolute joy to watch come together...

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Daniel are you familiar with Littleton, CO?  Coleman trucks were made there and they came up with the Coleman front wheel drive.  Here is one with the same type of lifting mechanism.  The real one is in New Hampshire.

 

I was just there, last night, Charles! I never knew about those trucks. I am going to dig around, and see where the plant was. I would guess just north of downtown Littleton. Your work is exceptional! Thank you for sharing it, with us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Body is now painted and the latch and handle are in place.  Still some detailing left to do but we are approaching the end of the build.   Each of the driving chains need an oil container and spout that would drip oil onto the chain to keep it lubricated.  There are also some air cylinders needed as these rigs had air brakes and step on the driver'060.JPG.43f08a24bca420c6a5cb120472ed5ade.JPGs side.  Mud flaps and tail lights also need to be added.

059.JPG.e7b5d0c8d6f7126945a2dc116dcc6b7d.JPG

I decided to make the interior of the body look as if it has been used in spite of its pristine outside appearance.  I left the center portion of the body in primer and then went over it with some Doc O'Brien weathering powders.

062.JPG.dc18e6fa244a0b00f9d1b710ed1f6325.JPG063.JPG.d72136cc7535e597512e8e62bcf47791.JPG068.JPG.924ade50a19a2668110d3ac4d76ffa28.JPG067.JPG.d944535b1f51bc7e074129cb2cbca4ab.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...