Model Cars Magazine Forum

1984 Mustang GT 5.0L Build

gjorenby

My current build is a replica of a car I owned in the early 90s.  A 1984 Mustang GT 5.0 with T-Tops.  I am using the 1:25 MPC Ford Mustang 20th Anniversary Edition as my base kit as its a hatchback style and thanks to my new friends here, supplementing several parts from the SVO kit and the Monogram kits to get an accurate reproduction.  Interior side panels, rear spoiler and front air dam from the SVO kits are already worked into the build.  Other additions will include an anatomically correct 5.0L engine from B&L Resin, the dual snorkel air cleaner from the Monogram kit, correct single pipe/dual tail pipe exhaust, clear glass parts (not the tinted part from the MPC Anniversary kit), some photo etch, flocked carpet, and decals from Keith Marks.  Still searching for the correct steering wheel however...

Special thanks to those who have contributed parts!  I am new to the forum so finding people with parts has been really a fantastic find for me.

Long way to go yet...

20200614_190447.jpg

20200618_172137.jpg

20200618_172905.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Making some progress...interior is mostly done.  Additions include scratch built headrests, steering wheel, clutch and brake pedals, door lock knobs, and seat belts.  I added carpeting and for fun some photo etch CDs, as that was the media format at the time I owned the car.  If you look closely you will see a CD half ejected in the stereo.  The kit dash panel did not have the level of detail I had hoped for but did what I could.  Working on the engine now...

20200723_170616.jpg

20200723_170858.jpg

Sorry all....looks like I have some post carpet installation clean up to do after looking at the close up photos!  I hate flocking...it gets everywhere!  Wasn't that a line from a movie?  Oh yeah, that was sand....(Star Wars reference).

We've got a heartbeat!  Engine and transmission are in.  This was a resin 5.0L from B&L Resin.  Belt and accessories along with fan shroud and upper radiator hose were from an old 1990 GL I had built years ago. Add plug wires (in correct firing order), photo etch battery terminals and wires, wiper motor and master cylinder.  For a major kit bash project, over all alignment of items is acceptable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ever have one of those builds that just kicks you butt at every turn?!  Well this was that build for me, but I'm calling it done (for now).  I present the 1984 Mustang GT, a car I owned.  A bit of a Frankenstein build, the base kit is the MPC 20th Anniversary Edition Mustang, with parts added from an old 1990 GT Convertible build I did years ago (engine accessories and fan shroud), the MPC Mustang SVO kit (clear windows, front lower grill with fog lights, exhaust pipe, rear deck spoiler, interior side panels), and the Monogram 1984 Mustang kit (exhaust twin tail pipe and dual snorkel air cleaner).  I added flocking and '84 Mustang decals from Keith Marks.  The engine is a resin Ford 5.0 from B-N-L Resin and distributor from Morgan Automotive Detail.  Also added seat belts, door lock knobs and some photo etch CDs in the interior for fun.  Despite sizing and alignment issues, messing up the first set of decals (my fault), painting, stripping and repainting, I think the end build is fairly accurate to the car I owned and not to bad of a build.  Time to add the license plate and call this one done and move on...quick photos from my phone...enjoy!

20201107_165957.jpg

20201107_170113.jpg

20201107_170022.jpg

20201107_170146.jpg

20201107_170246.jpg

1991 06 1984 Mustang GT (8).jpg

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2020 at 5:16 PM, gjorenby said:

Making some progress...interior is mostly done.  Additions include scratch built headrests, steering wheel, clutch and brake pedals, door lock knobs, and seat belts.  I added carpeting and for fun some photo etch CDs, as that was the media format at the time I owned the car.  If you look closely you will see a CD half ejected in the stereo.  The kit dash panel did not have the level of detail I had hoped for but did what I could.  Working on the engine now...

20200723_170616.jpg

20200723_170858.jpg

What flocking did you use.. I like the look....

• 2 weeks later...