Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

4 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

You and me both.

Something to think about. All the Monogram metal kits have been rerelased in plastic, except for the 1931 Packard, and the Duesenberg boat tailed speedster.  So whoever has those moulds could do a brand new classic car kit in plastic without having to shell out a penny for new tools. The chassis looks pretty much like the 1930 Packard, and the bodies are on a separate sprue, so conceivably you could release new variants like a 1931 Packard Sport Phaeton or boat tailed roadster.

Would be quite amazing if they could pull that off.

Quite frankly, even though the licensing would be through Volkswagen AG and who knows how difficult they are to work with, I would pay quite well for a reissue of the Bugatti Type 35 especially with the jaunty driver figure.

12 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

This is an exciting round of announcements out of Atlantis. Going to be quite glad to put the drag cars and the Nomad, plus the Tom Daniels kits, onto my shop shelves. Probably will make an attempt on building the Mack hauler and the Mooneyes dragster myself.

Does Atlantis have the Tom Daniel molds??

15 minutes ago, slusher said:

Does Atlantis have the Tom Daniel molds??

They appear to have the ones that were based in Elk Grove Village at the time of the sale, there's never been any mention or record of Atlantis buying (or Revell selling for that matter) the kits that had been sent over to China.

5 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

They appear to have the ones that were based in Elk Grove Village at the time of the sale, there's never been any mention or record of Atlantis buying (or Revell selling for that matter) the kits that had been sent over to China.

Thank, I didn’t know that..

I think I might be over my teenage trauma caused by this kit. Psychologically  I’m ready to try and make something out of the 1957 Nomad again. Please somehow use that beautiful picture of the Sam Hollingsworth Nomad on the box again!
This kit broke me as a kid.???

This time I’m gluing the doors shut right off the bat. ???

405F6C41-847D-4D4D-9638-0EBF62F25181.jpeg

5F96F592-BB88-4D83-B256-6BF21E97BFB3.jpeg

6375561D-E12B-43F8-B1AE-1DAB300C39B4.jpeg

Edited by doggie427

On 10/20/2020 at 3:02 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

The Mack is back! As well as that headache-inducing '57 Nomad. Might be fun to build it as a more detailed version of the Kenner Smash-up Derby car... tango_face_grin.png.b67116a68a656d9008e082603abaa0a3.png

474757241_smashupderbynomad.jpg.dd189951db55da3c8e09b927ff63649f.jpg

oH MAN, flashback to childhood. My brother and I had the Smash up Derby's and this is one of the ones we had.

Fun fact, YES, that gyroscopic wheel most certainly entangle/twist its rubber wheel VERY well into your brother's long hair.....

On 10/19/2020 at 9:06 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

Mooneyes dragster made from classic Custom Car Parts?  Sounds like we know where those Parts Pack moulds went.

This brings up an interesting question, to me at least. Did the the original Double Parts Pack Dragster kits have complete Parts Pack parts trees ? 

Edited by Greg Myers

On 10/20/2020 at 10:02 AM, tim boyd said:

Here are a couple of outtake (unused) photos of the original c. 1963 MoonEyes kit from Revell, from my new book "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits".  More detail on the original kit(s) in the book.... 

A real surprise, but a great one, to hear this kit is on the way back....TIM 

DSC 0520

DSC 0530

I guess looking at the sales pitch on the box sides these kits did indeed have complete Parts Pack Trees. Now I'm wondering what the Atlantis Mooneyes kit will include. Which Parts Pack Trees ?

The double kits did include complete parts pack trees, but the suspension parts tree was molded in silver plastic and not plated.  Seeing as how the dragster is (presumably) being issued by itself and not as a double kit, hopefully those parts will be plated this time around.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

The double kits did include complete parts pack trees, but the suspension parts tree was molded in silver plastic and not plated.  Seeing as how the dragster is (presumably) being issued by itself and not as a double kit, hopefully those parts will be plated this time around.

What Mark said...

Plus...when I built the Bantam Bomber Altered out of the applicable Parts Packs, but using the Bantam Bomber kit instructions as a guide, I found that a few of the parts on the Parts Pack trees had been subtly altered to make the assembly process easier.  I do not not know if this also applied to the Mooneyes Dragster, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.  Exciting times....TIM  

DSC 0518

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I'd be happy with full parts trees

15 hours ago, tim boyd said:

What Mark said...

Plus...when I built the Bantam Bomber Altered out of the applicable Parts Packs, but using the Bantam Bomber kit instructions as a guide, I found that a few of the parts on the Parts Pack trees had been subtly altered to make the assembly process easier.  I do not not know if this also applied to the Mooneyes Dragster, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case.  Exciting times....TIM  

DSC 0518

man I love those American mags in those old Revell kits. Nice job on what I am sure was a fiddly kit to build, Tim!

On 10/20/2020 at 12:06 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

Mooneyes dragster made from classic Custom Car Parts?  Sounds like we know where those Parts Pack moulds went.

What's intriguing is that in the original Mooneyes Dragster kit, it calls for the front suspension wishbone from the Model T frame parts tree (see below).  Is it too much to hope that, even though only 1 part is required, the entire frame parts tree will included?  Considering that the individual Revell Custom Car Parts go for big buck$ on Ebay, this kit could be the bargain of the year!

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/revell-6/revell-sanitary-t-b/file5.html

There's the possibility that the entire T chassis could be included, then again Atlantis could tool a couple of new parts in order to avoid that (and save the companion T for a separate release).  It'll be interesting to see how they handle this, and 1/24-25 scale car kits in general.

There could be tons of extra parts if Atlantis gives us full trees.  The parts trees in all three Revell Double Dragster kits are laid out similar - seven trees and a bag of tires

one tree - the roadster body parts, white or gray or ...

one tree -  the dragster engine, chrome

one tree - dragster body and frame - yellow for Mooneyes

one tree - roadster frame - black

one tree - chassis equipment and suspension for both the roadster and dragster  - molded in silver  (chrome in the parts pack)

one tree - wheels for both the roadster and the dragster - molded in silver  (chrome in the parts pack)

one tree  - for the roadster engine - chrome

tires in a bag - enough for both the roadster and the dragster

so, with  reference to a couple of the trees,  only half is used for the dragster- as Mark says the trees may be modified  to cut down the extra parts or we may get more parts

whatever we get, I'm happy and looking forward to seeing an old friend.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:48 AM, Tom Geiger said:

When I was in high school I wanted to be a journalist. I was a stamp collector so I set out to get autographs of people involved with newspapers.  I sent out about a dozen of these “Freedom of the Press” first day covers and only got one back!  Charles M. Schultz was very nice to me. He signed it and returned it in my stamped envelope along with a handwritten note wishing me well in my journalism studies!

I've heard nothing but good things about Mr.  Schultz . That is so awesome that he not only replied , but also personalised and signed what you sent him , and he was cautious in sending it back to you in unblemished condition . 

Very cool !

2 hours ago, Muncie said:

so, with  reference to a couple of the trees,  only half is used for the dragster- as Mark says the trees may be modified  to cut down the extra parts or we may get more parts

whatever we get, I'm happy and looking forward to seeing an old friend.

But of course, modifying the trees translates to extra work, and extra expense, so would it be worth it to reduce the number of parts?

Repeated gating and ungating the tooling, especially on something thaylt's so old already, to release the Parts Packs in different ways is way more expensive and labor intensive than running the tooling wide open and then clipping the "offending" parts off and throwing them into the recycling hopper to be ground into more styrene.