Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Outstanding work as usual , @StevenGuthmiller

Now , at the risk of being "That guy..." , I must inquire about the fan : That's the base fan for auto / open rear , and would be incorrect for a Dana-equipped model ( if you're using an 8 3/4 rear , you can disregard this info )  .

68_Coronet0011.jpg (840×1200) (hamtramck-historical.com)

NOS 1968 1969 CHARGER GTX ROAD RUNNER 426 HEMI 69 340 440+6 A-12 Fan 2863215 | eBay

Don't know anything about the fan except this is what came in the Revell '68 Charger to be used in conjunction with the Hemi engine provided in the kit.

I understand that the Hemi in that kit is not a stock engine, so I suppose it's entirely possible that it could be incorrect.

Not a major issue.

I'm pretty sure that I have a spare Mopar clutch fan around somewhere.

Steve

Steve this has nothing to do with this build, we don't know each other. But I love looking at your builds. Subject matter, quality of workmanship etc. While reading Classic Cars issue # 201 june 2021 on pages 16 & 17 there is a man Noel Wilson who builds the same thing. If you get a chance to look at the piece I think you might like it. Have not read all the comments on your build but Hemi and air conditioned cars used the same fan. Hope that helps. Bubba

13 hours ago, Repstock said:

What a great build (as usual)!  How does one stay in the loop for the resin interiors. I'd prefer not to miss out on them.

Don't worry Tom.

I'll be certain to raise a big noise when they're available.

Last time I checked, the molds were just about done.

Steve

Fantastic work on all of the engine and tranny brackets , your dexterity and eyesight is definitely much better than mine !  I've made brackets in the past but never with the detail you're accomplishing . I even did a kick-down for an auto once , not the best pic but here it is .

Thanks guys!

2 hours ago, TooOld said:

Fantastic work on all of the engine and tranny brackets , your dexterity and eyesight is definitely much better than mine !  I've made brackets in the past but never with the detail you're accomplishing . I even did a kick-down for an auto once , not the best pic but here it is .

I figure that I might as well do it now while I still can.

The steady hands and good eyes won’t last forever. 😊

Steve

5 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

The later street hemi got the 7 blade fan and viscous fan clutch all other years

That first engine appears to be a 1970 with 49 state emissions ( no C.A.P. breather , but does have a vapour separator adjacent to the fuel pump ) . 

But , yes , that 4-paddle fan is a no-go for 1968-1971 --- even the LO23 / BO29 models got the 7-paddle fan with a clutch ( de-clutch ) .

32 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Ps, the 4 blade fan is 66 and MAYBE 67 only.

The later street hemi got the 7 blade fan and viscous fan clutch all other years

25 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

That first engine appears to be a 1970 with 49 state emissions ( no C.A.P. breather , but does have a vapour separator adjacent to the fuel pump ) . 

But , yes , that 4-paddle fan is a no-go for 1968-1971 --- even the LO23 / BO29 models got the 7-paddle fan with a clutch ( de-clutch ) .

Thanks guys.

Already stripped a chrome fan from the leftover parts from my '65 Fury kit.

I'll get it cleaned up an painted and the issue will be resolved.

Steve

2 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Ps, the 4 blade fan is 66 and MAYBE 67 only.

hemi.jpg

hemi-2.jpg

I also noticed the orange exhaust manifold. Is that factory correct?

21 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I believe so, but running the engine for a very short period of time burned the paint off of the exhaust manifolds very quickly.

Steve

Correct,

exhaust manifolds had engine color on them for a very short time

11 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Correct,

exhaust manifolds had engine color on them for a very short time

This was obvious to me when I had the engine overhauled in my 1:1 '69 Grand Prix.

It probably took all of about five minutes running the engine to burn the paint off of the exhaust manifolds. :)

Steve

On 5/10/2021 at 12:28 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Got most of the carb linkage and return spring detail done this afternoon.

image.jpeg.fff6b75b4082254c08fe3ad44333f45d.jpeg

image.jpeg.abff206f5110e5de3527402edc172c29.jpeg

image.jpeg.86f5eeb5c7ca5f27753abbeaf3d10f08.jpeg

image.jpeg.b499829ab37504b95ba59b4ee4558e85.jpeg

image.jpeg.b6c0361ea4eac5221338e0317176d8bf.jpeg

Steve

This engine looks amazing. The smallest details are perfect, Steve. Can’t wait to see this completed. 

BTW, what kind of magnifying visor are you using? I have one with just one flip lens. 

1 hour ago, Brutalform said:

This engine looks amazing. The smallest details are perfect, Steve. Can’t wait to see this completed. 

BTW, what kind of magnifying visor are you using? I have one with just one flip lens. 

I don't use a visor.

Just a lighted table magnifier.

I decided that I didn't really like the kit provided coil, (I never really do like them)

So I threw together my own.

They're pretty easy to make, so why not. :)

image.jpeg.43a46e1372ac013a1e2f61fe1acba09a.jpeg

image.jpeg.5c5599ad29e14fdfc18d24ea35e882ec.jpeg

Steve

• Xingu locked this topic