Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1932 Roadster 1964 Box Art Replica

Dave Darby

Built from the 1964 (3rd issue Deuce Roadster) AMT kit. Kit stock except for the tires. The rears are from the 27 T/XR-6 kit, and the front are from the MAALCO Mustang Gasser. I actually started this one around 20 years ago, and wasn't happy with the color. (Then Testors Competition Orange, now Testors 1231 Bright Red.) A little History tidbit, this configuration was available in 3 different releases. The yellow Trophy Series box, the blue dealer promo box, and with a slightly different decal sheet in the Bonnie & Clyde Series. When AMT reissued this kit for the Street Rod series, they removed the side mount spares, welded off the gates to all the drag parts, and replaced the tonneau cover with a rear mounted spare tire. It was reissued in that configuration for a couple of decades, until the Pro Shop issue in 1998. nearly all of the drag parts were returned to the kit, except of course, the tonneau cover. 

20201024 090110

20201023 203138

I actually started this one around 20 years ago, and wasn't happy with the color. In an old photo below, you can see the difference the change in front rolling stock made.

78337859 10159197579663102 6941832027071053824 o

20201024 090005

If you have Facebook, and like replicas of the old box art, we have a group called (appropriately enough) Box Art Replicas. Enjoy, and thanks for looking.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/2/2020 at 10:25 AM, Snake45 said:

Absolutely fabulous! If I could come up with the tonneau cover (missing from the issue I have), I could build one of these or something very, very similar. (Anyone got a spare laying around?) VERY well done and model on! B)

Dave, very nice build, the tire and color change made a huge difference.

Snake, I think I have one of these tonneau covers, didn't know it was a early issue only piece. I'll have to taka a look. Maybe its worth resin casting it?

On 11/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, Snake45 said:

Absolutely fabulous! If I could come up with the tonneau cover (missing from the issue I have), I could build one of these or something very, very similar. (Anyone got a spare laying around?) VERY well done and model on! B)

Richard....don't quote me on this....but I vaguely seem to remember Replicas and Miniatures offering the tonneau cover along with some other parts to do this version of the kit....might be worth checking out....TIM 

23 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I believe I may have commented on this one before, but let me say (again) great job, Dave!!!   I think this model perfectly captures the spirit of the times and the intent of the AMT art department with their box art illustrations....TIM  

Thank you very much for the kind words Tim. It took me quite some time to get it where I wanted it. Regarding your other post, the 1998 Pro Shop issue has all of the parts except the tonneau cover.  Looking over at Craig Stansfield's Replicas & Miniatures album, Norm has a pair of the blower scoops for 5.95,
DD-26

and a package with the tonneau cover and center steer dash as well for 4.50.

TONNEAU COVER

Were I to start another,  I would seek out either a basket case original, or get the Pro Shop issue (it has the roll bar, headers, injector pump, blower and intake) and supplement with Norm's excellent parts. I imagine he probably has the right tires for a period look as well.

These would make great front runners for a period look.
1545577392317-vi.jpg

https://public.fotki.com/crstan/replican-and-miniat/replicas-and-miniat/

Edited by Dave Darby