Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Easy fix! I had to do it on a glue bomb I rescued last year. Had a bad glue booger on the roof that I sanded out, but couldn't match the paint for. BVT to the rescue!

1. Mask off everything else (duh!)

2. Lay down one coat rattlecan flat black primer (I used cheap Touch N Tone, same as Walmart). 

3. Lay down one coat of rattlecan satin or semigloss black, holding the can about a foot out so the paint lands "pebbly." If you don't have a rattlecan of satin or semigloss black, do the same thing with the flat black. A second coat might or might not be needed. DO NOT let the paint land wet or flow out, or you'll have to start over. 

4. Finish with a coat or two of rattlecan clear satin, matte, or semigloss, whatever you can get. Again, hold the can about a foot out and don't apply it wet. If you used a good satin or semigloss black in step 3, you might have an acceptable finish already and not need to clearcoat it. 

66OldsGB004.jpg.f928beb73b8932b453a8b862d7c8bfb7.jpg

66OldsGB006.jpg.a71405436bbab1e8af33c67272d5c9ff.jpg

66OldsGB024.jpg.a531cc21a3aa0d945ae7692f2cf2758e.jpg

I swear, you gotta write a book with all these in it. I have so many bookmarks of "Snake45 fixes..."

36 minutes ago, spencer1984 said:

I swear, you gotta write a book with all these in it. I have so many bookmarks of "Snake45 fixes..."

I'll call it, It Ain't Rocket SurgeryB)

One of my standard lines in job interviews is, "If there's an easier, faster, cheaper, quicker, more efficient, better way of doing anything, I will find it." 

I appreciate your kind words. I consider them high praise coming from a modeler of your talents and accomplishments. B)

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Easy fix! I had to do it on a glue bomb I rescued last year. Had a bad glue booger on the roof that I sanded out, but couldn't match the paint for. BVT to the rescue!

1. Mask off everything else (duh!)

2. Lay down one coat rattlecan flat black primer (I used cheap Touch N Tone, same as Walmart). 

3. Lay down one coat of rattlecan satin or semigloss black, holding the can about a foot out so the paint lands "pebbly." If you don't have a rattlecan of satin or semigloss black, do the same thing with the flat black. A second coat might or might not be needed. DO NOT let the paint land wet or flow out, or you'll have to start over. 

4. Finish with a coat or two of rattlecan clear satin, matte, or semigloss, whatever you can get. Again, hold the can about a foot out and don't apply it wet. If you used a good satin or semigloss black in step 3, you might have an acceptable finish already and not need to clearcoat it. 

66OldsGB024.jpg.a531cc21a3aa0d945ae7692f2cf2758e.jpg

Snake what did you do for the chrome trim?

1 hour ago, Pat Minarick said:

Snake what did you do for the chrome trim?

The roof trim was molded in the kit IIRC. Most of the standard trim on that model was my usual beloved Silver Sharpie but the big chrome side trim I did in Deco Color Premium Silver Leaf (very much like Molotow) I got from Walmart.