Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

Posted (edited)

Great progress going on here folks!

719679294_IMG_0239(1).thumb.jpg.53e7b3888316dfc6e5f95e09b558a6e9.jpg

Got some weathering done on the old girl, fiberglass bed sides and steel cab, looking pretty close..

This is the first clear coat Duplicolor Wheel Matte, over multiple layers of craft paint,.. over Duplicolor Red oxide filler primer

Still haven't decided on an engine yet...

Cheers Cannonballers!

Edited by Belugawrx
speeling
  • Like 1

Getting closer to getting the C7 done.

Because the C7 hood wouldn't properly shut with all the C7R intake ducting in place, I decided to design and print a manifold to use a FI throttle body I had in the parts box and get rid of the crossram setup that was under the ducting. Finding air filters to work with it just became too much.

I also added a front air dam because the C7R body came down lower than the C7 and there was chassis showing. I'll do some more work to make it look more finished though.

The last pic is my prepaint mockup. Other than the air dam there's not much more to do, as I've done some minor fixing already.

C7 Engine Ducting.jpg

C7 Manifold Change.jpg

C7 Air Dam Change.jpg

C7 Prepaint Side.jpg

• Like 1

Great work guys , i really like the Cameo. I haven't got much done on mine , moved to a different building and shift for the company i work for. Has really messed with my sleep schedule and just haven't been motivated to work on anything.

Really nice work guys, going.to look at more than a few pages. Had some set back this year or I would have entered.  
I like the them maybe next year…

On 5/17/2021 at 12:41 PM, spencer1984 said:

...and she's done! The Little Old Lady from Pasadena looks nice and unassuming in her pretty little no-frills Dodge:

lolfp-09.jpg.b71851b12a0496192a172dbfa5049d9d.jpg

lolfp-13.jpg.de32c1638cba09b7e4dd915ee385fd1d.jpg

The tires are a bit wide, maybe, but with those steelies and dog dish caps (thanks for the trade, Sam I Am!) it likely won't get a second glance. But under the hood...

lolfp-10.jpg.67889848d5fd01c64afe26433d858dfa.jpg

...a Supercharged 426 Hemi, all tucked up nice & neat so nothing stands out. Track tested and proven, it should have no problem running all day long.

lolfp-11.jpg.06af90c17a945b97b5e75e2749383fef.jpg

Inside is equally low-key, stripped of anything noncritical and painted black so the exposed sheetmetal and roll bar don't stand out to any passers-by. The auxilliary gauges have been moved to the transmission tunnel just to keep the dash neat. But it still needed something more. One final, borderline crazy, last ditch ace-in-the-hole so if it came down to the last quarter mile she could be sure nothing could beat her.

lolfp-15.jpg.d51a4b68ca00801dd479cd2f77c25bd1.jpg

That ought to do it! Turbonique by Alan Raab, with additional bracing and various lines to it scratch built. I removed the stock fuel tank (a larger unit could be mounted in the trunk) and made a heat-shielded pocket for the turbine out of styrene and Duck tape.

lolfp-12.jpg.ed57050e8502f28174fb24fccc4686a5.jpg

The Lady with her ride:

lolfp-14.jpg.5758dbf76e2590127d0ea4d8a837eed5.jpg

Fantastic sleeper!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I'm done with the C7 Foose over C7R.  I wanted something as covert as you can get with a Vette but also wanted something that I like looking at.

C7 Sleeper Front Angle 2.jpg

C7 Sleeper Rear Angle 1.jpg

13 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Well I'm done with the C7 Foose over C7R.  I wanted something as covert as you can get with a Vette

Well Done! You can never go wrong  with black!  Definitely in Stealth mode... I like the pop of color also. With modern car culture the way it is, this one blends in perfectly... 

I'm seeing some beautiful work and creativity here with all the builds... Sorry I haven't been around to turbo charge the thread as much lately... I am as impressed as always at the participation and skills you folks bring to the table! 

A quick shout out to all the finished contestants...You have set the bar for the rest of us! We still have plenty of time to finish these Awesome projects let's get moving!

I truly am inspired by the continued support, profound work, and dedication we put into the CBR year after year... I know we will, no doubt continue to keep the Cannonball Run challenge great! Keep up the Excellent work guys... I'm gonna get back on this Police Car so I can haul you all in for Speeding, Wreckless driving, eluding, littering, and whatever else I can think of... 😁😁😁 

On 7/4/2021 at 7:00 PM, MeatMan said:

Well I'm done with the C7 Foose over C7R.  I wanted something as covert as you can get with a Vette but also wanted something that I like looking at.

C7 Sleeper Front Angle 2.jpg

C7 Sleeper Rear Angle 1.jpg

Very cool color combination!

On 7/6/2021 at 2:09 PM, spencer1984 said:

Very cool color combination!

Thanks Bill. The car I saw it on was gloss black. I may try that on something else.

On 7/4/2021 at 6:00 PM, MeatMan said:

Well I'm done with the C7 Foose over C7R.

Cool build. With a few additional doo dads it's no stretch to see this as a batmobile.