Model Cars Magazine Forum

K.S. Pittman 33 Willys replica

Hello guys, this project is been in my bench for a couple months, i really do like a lot but i've been correcting stuff from the kit, looking for parts, trying new thing like always and trying new painting skills step by step taking longer time in between coats, but so fat is been super fun, I know i have a lot of projects going on at the moment, but what i'm doing is working on one kit while the other is drying or glue is been done, hope you guys like it...

This is my Basic project, this version of the K.S. Pittman 33 Willys, they were 3 different versions of this car...

Q2pp1Bz.jpg

5xGmzRn.jpg

Got a decals sheet from Slixx Decals for this project, love the quality of them

5Gs91BB.jpg

First time casting a resin engine

PVGDb7W.jpg

HL5kDEV.jpg

ghxjcHK.jpg

JdTwqwI.jpg

FsdGrZc.jpg

N58gpub.jpg

dxWdVb5.jpg

I did upgrade the hood hinges to make it work better and more realistic

d6Q2FlJ.jpg

CcYcpYN.jpg

HjDkHdq.jpg

ZbC5D97.jpg

2ZHXs9F.jpg

7rCrltH.jpg

pwafWpx.jpg

HuxKwRU.jpg

SurYqla.jpg

ztBB30P.jpg

TPd3TIB.jpg

MvIUJMf.jpg

Still need to work more on this project, engine is not complete, paint needs to get the clear coats on, need to detail up the dashboard and final assembling, hope to do those things on the upcoming weeks LOL

Nice looking project.

Gotta love the '33 Willys, but dislike the kits let it sit so high off the ground.  I suppose AMT was only interested in doing one version of this body style.  Still, a killer car.

I wanted mine down low in the weeds, resulting in having to chop off the entire front, and to back-halve the rear as well.

A wonderful car for a great project like you are doing.

Mike..

On 1/18/2021 at 7:02 AM, afx said:

Good looking project.

Thank JC

On 1/18/2021 at 3:13 PM, Mike Williams said:

Nice looking project.

Gotta love the '33 Willys, but dislike the kits let it sit so high off the ground.  I suppose AMT was only interested in doing one version of this body style.  Still, a killer car.

I wanted mine down low in the weeds, resulting in having to chop off the entire front, and to back-halve the rear as well.

A wonderful car for a great project like you are doing.

Mike..

Thank you Mike, you know, that is my biggest complain in this project, the stands, even that i lower much as i can is still to high in my opinion, but i'm not going to be fighting more for that, i'm happy on how it looks now, glad you like it

3 hours ago, slusher said:

Great project! Looking fantastic so far..

Thank you Carl

Here's a little update, work on the engine and driveshaft, they came out good, i never like the way those kit driveshaft looks like, i prefer to make something more realistic, so i put an aluminum tubing depending on the sizes of the driveshaft and add the joins from the kit, that way they look good, on the engine, i added the belt and fuel pump, lines and block all connected to the intake, the hood is not closing perfect but is a good fit, the came out really good on my point of view, hope you guys like it...

5Rgp2U5.jpg

d9yOP4I.jpg

v4GjoFv.jpg

t2aJ19B.jpg

nI0IU2C.jpg

YDYQEO6.jpg

NTbEd21.jpg

hM8XSTE.jpg

G3mO9A7.jpg

Ik2maa3.jpg

yjGtujX.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for this WIP. Fantastic so far! Remembering the first time I saw a picture of a 33 Willy's and thought it was the ugliest car on the planet.

No more! Nothing like them. Seriously funky. I built the Stones Wood and Big John Gasser's when I was a kid in the early 60's but had know idea this car existed. Will follow this.

Nice work.
Remember to line up the U-joints or the car will vibrate like god knows what.
It looks like the yoke on the transmission and the yoke on the rear axle are a quarter turn from each other and that will not work on a real car and cause huge vibrations, the U-joints are meant to take up angle differences they have to be lined up so the joints can work properly.
Yes it's a model but details like that does much to a good model.

Edited by Force

On 1/23/2021 at 9:24 PM, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Thanks for this WIP. Fantastic so far! Remembering the first time I saw a picture of a 33 Willy's and thought it was the ugliest car on the planet.

No more! Nothing like them. Seriously funky. I built the Stones Wood and Big John Gasser's when I was a kid in the early 60's but had know idea this car existed. Will follow this.

Thank you Robert, the original factory car from the 1933 is really ugly but car like that with modifications like this one or hot rods versions, they look killer

On 1/24/2021 at 4:04 AM, Force said:

Nice work.
Remember to line up the U-joints or the car will vibrate like god knows what.
It looks like the yoke on the transmission and the yoke on the rear axle are a quarter turn from each other and that will not work on a real car and cause huge vibrations, the U-joints are meant to take up angle differences they have to be lined up so the joints can work properly.
Yes it's a model but details like that does much to a good model.

Thank you for the info, i didn't know all that, that why i like to share my work and get this comments, make me go over the limits and try to get better, for this build i don;t think is a good idea to take it a part and try to fix, but for my future builds like the other one in progress definitely i will be on top of those details...

8 hours ago, Glen Powers said:

Marcos, to finish a build this nice from a vintage AMT kit says a lot about your talent. Great job!!!!!!

Glen

Thank you Glen...

8 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Your builds always look so darn great!!  Another beauty Marcos!!

Thank you Mike, Glad you like my work my friend

Hello everyone, here is a little update on this gasser, not much for my is a lot...

added stirring wheel on the interior and the dashboard, now looks better

Added a water lines to the radiator and mounted the radiator in place, i think this works for now

Still need to add some more details to the engine but those will be after i apply the clear on the body and glue it in place

KBMCEU3.jpg

1aCwa0g.jpg

e4N6xhi.jpg

Fv9gm4X.jpg

ragczXA.jpg

I54AqcY.jpg

8sdwCxr.jpg

FhDxLl5.jpg

xFySlCd.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Very nice detailing here, great that you have the plug wires and looms looking perfect scale, compliments.

Also the touches for suspension and elsewhere make this a special '33 Willys.  Going along nicely.

Mike..

Thank you Mike, appreciate you comment my friend

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys, i can't call this an update, but is something at least, the front suspensions bothers me because was to hi, so i decide to cut a little bit and make it lower, looks better now, i wish i can go more low but i can't do that without damaging the build...

Here's how it was before

HalVsax.jpg

This is now

V3YJZDm.jpg

3cl4XL5.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, magicmustang said:

Are you sure about that injector scoop? Looks to long (1/20th scale?) for the engine IMHO.

Thanks Gerald, yes this one is longer then the original car, but is the only one i have in that style, that's why i did have to modify the hood so this scoop can fit

20 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Great looking car!  Looks like you hit it, paint and the overall. 

This could almost be classified as a "saved model", as the kit is wonderfully terrible.  Fitment and flash were a category for themselves!

You got it right, such an iconic car, well done.

Mike..

Thank you Mike, definitely this project was a challenge from the beginning, with all those kit problems, i know i still have some things that i forgot to fix, but i like how this car is turning around...

I want to thanks everyone for the great comments on this project, this project is getting closer to be done, today, i did something that was bothering me around for a while, the exhaust for this car, finally came out with something that looks like the real 1:1 car, i did a lot of different ideas and none of those came out good as this one, simple stuff, evergreen #222 rods for the exhaust pipes, drill a hole at the end to make looks better, add a piece of evergreen 0.15 sheet styrene and there you go, they look great in my opinion...

MffZRU0.jpg

Mhiwjir.jpg

vCVWQYj.jpg

f8Mqc1t.jpg

• Like 1