Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

More small stuff being added each day.  Today it was windshield wipers, front hood latches, interior door handles and window cranks, clearance lights and cab interior.  The engine also needed to have the radiator hose connected now that the cab is permanently attached to the frame.

080.JPG.2ced538c8555704d62a491de2d11f016.JPG083.JPG.81c1c0a8780459dcb7dfcf08fe893ed7.JPG084.JPG.fae53827a57127bfc48e1d01f4b41419.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

More work on the project.  Bell and siren/light combo on the front bumper, steps, spotlights, rear tail and direction lights and body grab rails.  The latter were a pain to bend.  The aluminum rod tends to bend in one spot rather than take a nice radius.  Perhaps because it is soft.  Stanchions are crimp beads along with common pins and aluminum flashing for the mounting points.

085.JPG.b699de39de15ac46a5d17542db49a7c7.JPG087.JPG.e90deead1b8d1e04d8c292938816d209.JPG089.JPG.59dbf28a08e6e280eaffb6a9a494550e.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got started on the flood lights for the top of the body.  The first thing was to make a master that could be copied so that all three lights are the same.  I found some light images on line along with general dimensions.  This helped me to turn a master from aluminum and then do the mold.  In the photo below is the master in the middle, a first resin casting to the right and a second casting in the clamp that has been sprayed silver.  The unpainted casting is no good as it has a bubble in the middle of the lens but that is easily corrected with two more like the painted one.  I kept the face of the light in the white resin as it seems to look like a translucent lens that these lights had.102.JPG.b5a27cd9157ad619f767f7d0a2d748d2.JPG

The lights will be mounted as seen in the photo below after mounting brackets are made for each one.  They will be "wired" through the top of the body.

105.JPG.5794d05d26f76510cdeeca995a006403.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the flood lights done today.  Still have to "wire" them up but the construction is done.  I put BMF on the lens to cover it and then sprayed the entire light unit silver.  Then the BMF was removed leaving the white resin as the lens.  Common pins were used for the clamps that hold the lens cover in place.  The mounting platform is made of strip brass and a thin section of PVC pipe.

109.JPG.1c86aa5f9f3b2c0bf4411e7792838205.JPG110.JPG.66e8cf9be6267a595da02f1aebc90a8a.JPG111.JPG.7b4ba793e3f88119be4aed8967d74d1d.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is looking great. The bench seats in the back are an amazing detail, they really have that well used heavy duty upholstery look to them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aaronw said:

This is looking great. The bench seats in the back are an amazing detail, they really have that well used heavy duty upholstery look to them. 

Amazing what some masking tape, some weathered black paint and some powders will do!😊

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...