Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Molly and Oliver... two beautiful cats! ..Lots of love... never to be forgotten💗

These are the cats that inspired the posting of this thread.

Thank you very much ❤️!  I have a shrine with their ashes (inside cedar boxes , separate)  ; two Maneki Neko 'stand-guard' in the shrine , as does a hand-carved wooden tiger from Korea (and a grip of other keepsake items) .

 

feline-shrine-22jan2021-molly.jpg

feline-shrine-22jan2021-oliver.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Captain Spaulding said:

Here's the boss at my house, looks so amused getting her picture taken.

Several years ago I worked at an animal shelter. One of the cats that was there since I began looked just like yours and she was as mean as could be and was feral...Molly was her name. After I was there a couple months I decided to see if I could get her to trust humans. Each day I’d spend about 15 minutes sitting quietly beside her cage. After a couple days of that I would do it with her cage door open. After a few days of that I would do it with my arm inside the edge of her cage and so on. After about a month I was able to pick her up and hold her, and rather than being in an isolated cage she could mingle in a room with several other cats. I felt pretty good about it.

Nice looking cat by the way, thanks for sharing!

Edited by Venom
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Venom said:

Several years ago I worked at an animal shelter. One of the cats that was there since I began looked just like yours and she was as mean as could be and was feral...Molly was her name. After I was there a couple months I decided to see if I could get her to trust humans. Each day I’d spend about 15 minutes sitting quietly beside her cage. After a couple days of that I would do it with her cage door open. After a few days of that I would do it with my arm inside the edge of her cage and so on. After about a month I was able to pick here up and hold her, and rather than being in an isolated cage she could mingle in a room with several other cats. I felt pretty good about it.

Nice looking cat by the way, thanks for sharing!

That's one cool story, thanks for sharing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Venom said:

Several years ago I worked at an animal shelter. One of the cats that was there since I began looked just like yours and she was as mean as could be and was feral...Molly was her name. After I was there a couple months I decided to see if I could get her to trust humans. Each day I’d spend about 15 minutes sitting quietly beside her cage. After a couple days of that I would do it with her cage door open. After a few days of that I would do it with my arm inside the edge of her cage and so on. After about a month I was able to pick her up and hold her, and rather than being in an isolated cage she could mingle in a room with several other cats. I felt pretty good about it.

Lovely story ; full of compassion ! Shelter animals are typically on-edge , esp. the adults or mothers with babies .

I once saw a beautiful mum with her 5 tykes at the shelter . She was on the defence immediately , growling and hissing at me . I spoke gently to her , "Such a pretty mommas . You have a wonderful family there , super girl ; you're great about defending them ." Her mood changed almost instantly ; she started purring and trilling and rubbing-against the compartment's gate . She even called her kittens over ( I love when a mum talks to her guys ! ) . I wanted to take them all home with me !

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Lovely story ; full of compassion ! Shelter animals are typically on-edge , esp. the adults or mothers with babies .

I once saw a beautiful mum with her 5 tykes at the shelter . She was on the defence immediately , growling and hissing at me . I spoke gently to her , "Such a pretty mommas . You have a wonderful family there , super girl ; you're great about defending them ." Her mood changed almost instantly ; she started purring and trilling and rubbing-against the compartment's gate . She even called her kittens over ( I love when a mum talks to her guys ! ) . I wanted to take them all home with me !

That’s great! Yes it’s so rewarding to see them do a complete turnaround. When a cat shows its teeth at you and lunges and hisses and throws claws, a lot of people’s tendency is to hate them or be afraid, but it’s just that they are the ones who are truly afraid, so you have to prove you’re their friend... I guess that would be the case with any feral animal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

Toffy the tortie and Ollie the b&w. Both rescues.

Firstly , thank you for rescuing those two companions ❤️

It's uncanny just how much Ollie resembles my companion Tæo ! They both have a black marque on their right wrist , in the same area ( see photo ) ! 

Toffy is such a gorgeous Tortie ! She looks like a big , solid super girl ❤️

Tao-pointing-to-black-arm-patch-11oct2020.jpg.3d9600247149c3d297d18fbf249a821a.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Venom said:

That’s great! Yes it’s so rewarding to see them do a complete turnaround. When a cat shows its teeth at you and lunges and hisses and throws claws, a lot of people’s tendency is to hate them or be afraid, but it’s just that they are the ones who are truly afraid, so you have to prove you’re their friend... I guess that would be the case with any feral animal.

Any animal will "act-out" if it feels confined or trapped --- Fight or Flight , just like we bipeds --- especially if there's babies around ( or a food source ) . Mountain Lions are my favourite Big Cat ; such graceful creatures ; closest relative to our "domestic" cats ( Mountain Lions purr ; the only Big Cat whose purring is exactly like their little relatives ) . 

People around here are terrified of Pumas ( the Cleveland Mountains are the closest range to me ; extension of the Santa Monica Mountains ) . I tell them to leave the cat an "out" , and it won't bother you unless there are kittens or food in the area . That's when the 'talk-loudly-and-make-yourself-bigger-while-backing-away-keeping-eye-contact' protocol comes into play .

If you're interested , and since you live in Wyoming , you should watch The Secret Life of Mountain Lions . It's a documentary about the Wind River Range and a female puma with her tykes . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Mountain Lions are my favourite Big Cat ; such graceful creatures

If you're interested , and since you live in Wyoming , you should watch The Secret Life of Mountain Lions .

Interesting that you mention the mountain lion...also my favorite wildcat.

I took this pic last summer on the backside of our nearby mountain about 10 miles from town. Was in a very isolated canyon area on my mountain bike. We have a lot of them around here as they have a lot of space for their solitary needs. There were also baby cat tracks, but didn’t want to spend too much time crawling around on my hands and knees.☠️  Funny thing, as much time as I’ve spent way back off the beaten path, I’ve never seen a wildcat, only tracks.

I will check out the documentary you mentioned... sounds very interesting. Thanks for mentioning it.

A95C95DA-B823-457C-BCD1-B5BED9C6DDDF.jpeg.102df60d6bea91a15241e5d96b989d85.jpeg

Edited by Venom
Forgot the pic!
Link to post
Share on other sites

 That reminds me of one of my favorite movies growing up . It was a Disney flick called "Charlie, the lonesome cougar" . Saw it in the theater.

 

Great looking companions guys.  Very cute!

 

Jerry

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Venom said:

Was in a very isolated canyon area on my mountain bike. We have a lot of them around here as they have a lot of space for their solitary needs. There were also baby cat tracks, but didn’t want to spend too much time crawling around on my hands and knees

Cool photo !  Tyke tracks too !  I'm glad that they have plenty of real estate for their needs in Wyoming ❤️.

The documentary is great , albeit bittersweet . A true and candid look into the activities of The Cat of the Americas , centred on a mum and her three babies .

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, 1972coronet said:

Super Girl ! I don't know what it is about Calicos and Torties ; they're not breed-specific , but they're all great hunters . 

I wonder why mum abandoned them ? Perhaps she was too young ?

We came home from pumpkin hunting and pulled into my in laws drive and four cats and mama cat scattered. The next day went out and the four kittens were near a tree so my father in law kept and eye on them and at dusk mama hadn’t come back. So he went out with a box and brought them all inside and the rest is history... lol

Three of the kittens as we found them later that day..

left is Willow, in-laws cat, middle is Taz, my neighbors cat, and our Callie on right..

4AE5C0A4-DEBF-4FB2-9785-97B07550269D.thumb.jpeg.8d47636a7b3093681fa4e85f7f9949c2.jpeg

Edited by DrKerry
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess I'd better include Shasta, my little build buddy. She has a bed on my hobby table, and she also likes to use the Titan IIIc box as an out of the sun bed. She's miffed that I finished that project (finally) and tossed the box. 

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DrKerry said:

Three of the kittens as we found them later that day..

left is Willow, in-laws cat, middle is Taz, my neighbors cat, and our Callie on right..

How darling ! Thank you for rescuing those little angels ❤️

7 minutes ago, Keavdog said:

This is Purcilla - she loves the unboxing of kits

Tæo loves to be near me when I open a new kit (or anything in a box) . I leave the boxes around for him to play with ; he loves talking to them ( trilling , grunting , and meowing --- the only time he's vocal ) . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Shasta, my little build buddy. She has a bed on my hobby table,

What a special heart ! Reminds me of my Navajo neighbour and his table for Beading .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...