Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford finished!


Recommended Posts

Despite its limitations, I've always like the old Monogram 32 Roadster kit. And this is a fantastic build of that kit.  Great proportions and color choice!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2021 at 4:07 PM, Dave72 said:

 Paint is Rustolium Camouflage with Duplicolor clear. 

Wow, that paint combo could have easily gone sideways on you.  Oh wait, the clear is an acrylic isn't it, that works.

Terrific work. Great color, stance and overall realism.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really handsome channeled Deuce. Great proportions and contemporary Conservative Traditional vibe. The color, rolling stock, and stance all come together just right, not a small mater when you realize you were starting from the old Monogram 1/24th full fendered kit which lacks a separate chassis. The strengths of the kit are in the finely molded body shell, the interior styling,  and the nice windshield, all of which play out nicely in you rendition. Bravo!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Wow, that paint combo could have easily gone sideways on you.  Oh wait, the clear is an acrylic isn't it, that works.

Terrific work. Great color, stance and overall realism.

Thanks Rob! When trying new paint combos, I always do a spray out on a small piece of flat styrene starting with the primer all the way to the clear just to make sure everything works well. I’ve learned that the hard way!  Lol! Never again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 7:51 PM, Dave72 said:

Thank you very much guys for all of the compliments! I cut about 3/16 from the bottom of the interior to get the body down over the frame. I was going to drop the rear suspension as well but glad I didn’t. No mods to the front suspension either. As far as the tail lights, it just kinda slipped my mind. I’ll add them on when I find something I like. For now, hand signals will have to do! Lol. 32’s are kind of addicting!  I already have another one in the works. More of a show car. Thanks again. Much appreciated! 

AMT 34 5 window coupe has some nice round 50 Pontiac taillights (Seems like something Revell does also has them). The ZZ Top Coupe has some nice '39 Ford Teardrops with blue dots. 

I've always loved that old Monogram 1/24th Deuce roadster, and it has the absolute best dropped Ford beam front axle with early Ford brake backing plates to be found. That alone is worth the price of admission. I've never had fitment issues with mine.

That said, very, very nice job on yours, especially with the challenge of a kit that wasn't engineered to be fenderless. Love the color scheme. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

AMT 34 5 window coupe has some nice round 50 Pontiac taillights (Seems like something Revell does also has them). The ZZ Top Coupe has some nice '39 Ford Teardrops with blue dots. 

I've always loved that old Monogram 1/24th Deuce roadster, and it has the absolute best dropped Ford beam front axle with early Ford brake backing plates to be found. That alone is worth the price of admission. I've never had fitment issues with mine.

That said, very, very nice job on yours, especially with the challenge of a kit that wasn't engineered to be fenderless. Love the color scheme. 

Thanks Dave! Much appreciated! For the most part, the kit wasn’t too bad. I had issues with the mismatch on the motor, windshield was definitely unusable, and rear leaf spring needed some love to fit correctly. As far as removing the fenders, I had an idea and just started cutting! Lol! Yes I do like the wheel backing plates. That is a cool touch in the kit. It was a bit of a challenge but that’s why we do it right! I gotta say it is one of my favorite finished builds! Thanks again and thanks for the info as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of the best models I've seen built out of that old Monogram kit. Has a really nice stance and proportions, nice simple small block and I like the color scheme a lot. Then there's the fact that the frame and fenders are molded as one big heap so bonus points for so cleanly cutting the fenders away!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 6:18 AM, oldnslow said:

Nice looking 32 , under stated and clean .

 

On 2/11/2021 at 12:06 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

This is one of the best models I've seen built out of that old Monogram kit. Has a really nice stance and proportions, nice simple small block and I like the color scheme a lot. Then there's the fact that the frame and fenders are molded as one big heap so bonus points for so cleanly cutting the fenders away!

 

On 2/11/2021 at 2:21 AM, christian-w said:

So clean built. Nice!

 

On 2/11/2021 at 4:57 AM, GeeBee said:

Superb build, I don't build Hotrods, but I'd love to find one this side of the pond. 

 

On 2/11/2021 at 12:51 PM, Phildaupho said:

Fantastically built  lo-boy. This kit can produce some great looking hot rods and you have definitely proved that !!

 

10 hours ago, BeakDoc said:

Everything from the stance, wheels and power train to the paint and finish is spot on. This model is neat as a pin! Fantastic work.

Thank you very much guys! I can’t tell ya how much I appreciate the compliments. Cutting those fenders off and dropping the body over the frame was the very first thing I did. When I first opened the kit, I was not impressed with it so I just started cutting with simple notion in mind that if I screwed it up, I’ll just make the parts box a little bigger! Lol! What do ya know, like I said before, it turned out to be one of my favorite completed builds. Now I really gotta get those tail lights on and maybe a cheesehead license plate! Thanks again, very much appreciated! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I had to do a double take, it is the old Monogram kit. It's not easy to make a channeled deuce roadster look good but you did it, and well. Nice trad look, makes me want to build another deuce... -RRR

Thanks Rodney! Yup, already have another one in the works! It’s the newer Revell 32 Highboy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 10:00 PM, Venom said:

That is a very appealing model, very nice and clean... That shade of green is superb!! ... Great finish!

 

On 2/14/2021 at 4:08 AM, Deuces ll said:

Cool hot rod.... 😎👍

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice job building this contemporary hot rod. When I build a fenderless 32 i never consider this kit because of the Revell kit with it's separate fenders. But, before that kit came out this was the best way to get a highly accurate highboy roadster since the body on the AMT kit is less accurate. Your execution of the fender removal is well done, and that paint combo is very well chosen (and smooth)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 9:18 PM, Steve H said:

Very nice hot rod Dave. As others have said, it’s a great colour/stance/wheel and tire combo, it all works very well together.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve! 

6 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Very nice job building this contemporary hot rod. When I build a fenderless 32 i never consider this kit because of the Revell kit with it's separate fenders. But, before that kit came out this was the best way to get a highly accurate highboy roadster since the body on the AMT kit is less accurate. Your execution of the fender removal is well done, and that paint combo is very well chosen (and smooth)

Thank you Craig for the compliments! This is what happens when you have a kit and just want something different! I do like the Revell Highboy and Coupe kits much better as well. I have two of them  in the stash with one of them about to go onto the bench. I think I have got myself a little addiction to 32’s after this one!  

3 hours ago, thomascoffey1959@gmail.com said:

Thank you for sharing. Perfection? ah, NO ! Should be a Ford  in a Ford. A Y block would be perfect. hmmm, guess I'll just have to build one for myself. But other than the SBC engine, pretty dern close to it.

I hear ya Thomas. I was wondering when someone was gonna zing me on that one! My first choice was a Flathead of course but I didn’t have one that I didn’t mind stripping out of another kit. Next time for sure! I appreciate the compliment and feedback as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...