Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby lobby and tamiya primer

I've noticed that that my two local Hobby Lobbies have ceased stocking the Tamiya white and gray primer as well, a disappointment. Glad I stocked up on them this past summer and fall with 40% off coupons when I had the chance. Guess when the time comes I will try the Mr Hobby brand...but right now all they have is a can or two of clear.

Stopped using Tamiya primer about 6 years ago. I was in same situation couldnt get Tamiya, but seen Mr Hobby and gave it a try and havent looked back since.

Fully switched over to Mr Hobby primers and finishing surfacers. I personally think they are far better than Tamiya and are available in different grades.

The main ones I use.

ludQDvl.jpg

Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 is good for when you have alot of body modification work. Kind of like scratch filler primer.

Mr Base white 1000 is good at covering coloured plastic and stops bleed through.

Mr Sufacer 1000, is as the number implies will fill in light 1000 grit scratch's.

Mr Finishing Sufacer 1500 is perfect to apply after mold line, seam removal and light body prep sanding . Its the one I use the most.

Dont use the spray cans very much, prefer to buy the jars and MLT then mix up in bottles and apply with airbrush for controlled coverage and less wastage.

lWO43nZ.jpg

Also use the grey.

V0WZlP3.jpg

Once you get use to how to apply and understand the numbers you wont be disappointed in the results. Mr Hobby is a high quality product and Tamiya is so yesterday.

Edited by Cool Hand

Some of the products have a bit of a description.

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemList.php?cId=33

The lower the number the heavier/thicker the pigment. 500 would be good to use as a heavy filler primer, like filling scratches from 320-600 grit or a modified surface that needs a light fill and levelling out. 

The 1000 primer surfacer you would use just like Tamiya. Just dont go to heavy or thick.

The 1500 Surfacers lay down super smooth. For the box stock builders they are perfect.

The higher the number the finer the pigment which results in a smoother finish and wont bury details, also very little sanding after application.

Hope that helps, thats my understanding and the best I can explain.

Im sure there will be someone else who is more of an expert and could explain it better.

The Tamiya spray primers aren't the best choice for scratch filler primer.  Their bottled liquid surface primer is very good however.  I apply it to bodywork areas only, with a brush, then sand it.  As always, don't rely on the primer to fill deep scratches.  Get everything as smooth as possible before putting on the primer.  

The problem is once you understand and use the Mr Hobby primers, you’ll never use Tamiya again. 

Ive converted all my paints to the Mr Hobby lacquer range. The primers lay smooth and can correct orange peal (I have sprayed over the top of a ruined paint job with no prep) Their clear coats from the can have great levelling property‘s as does the Mr Levelling Thinner cool hand showed.