Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 International Transtar F-4270 Rebuild

7 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

I've heard from others that his decals need to be layered to have an opaque color.  I ordered the same decals for mine, but in red as I plan to paint it white.

I was wondering --  I'm in the middle of my 4270 kit.  I had to move the front axle forward so that the front wheels would be centered in the fender.

Did you find that the out-of-box assembled front axle and wheels were the correct width ??   

I've heard with the 4300 the front axle is too wide and the front tires stick outside the front fenders.   I haven't snapped the front wheels on my front axle yet to see, since once snapped on they won't come back off easily I'm guessing.

Just curious if that's another thing I'll have to deal with  ?

Thanks !

Here’s mine I built back in 1989 like Casey’s the front axle looks center and the wheels snug underneath the hood 

A5F2646B-84BD-4EDA-8AC6-AB1C8459BCCC.jpeg

Casey,

great project you have here.  You mentioned small machine screws holding things together on one of your donor kits. I have a T600 that I picked up years ago.

And the original builder did the same thing. Which was understandable considering the fit os some of the body parts, But ERTL kits fit together like a glove.

So now you have a few extra parts and the makings of a fine model.

Be Well

Gator

On 4/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, Goodwrench3 said:

I've heard from others that his decals need to be layered to have an opaque color.  I ordered the same decals for mine, but in red as I plan to paint it white.

I was wondering --  I'm in the middle of my 4270 kit.  I had to move the front axle forward so that the front wheels would be centered in the fender.

Did you find that the out-of-box assembled front axle and wheels were the correct width ??  

I did have to adjust the axle to move it forward some. I just opened up the holes in the stock leaf springs and shaved the locating tabs a bit to get it forward. the width appears to be fine, so I wonder if the Alcoa wheels in the 4300 vs the Dayton spokes in the 4270 make the difference. As for your decals, Colored stripes installed on white in general never seems to be an issue. So you may be able to get away with only one application. That's just my two cents though.

On 4/15/2021 at 7:45 PM, Pete68 said:

Casey your truck looks great as well as the paint job. I ordered the exact same decals for my 4200 I’m gonna have to check mine now since I’ve seen the difference in your stripes I have a lot of problem with his decals be an offset from the original color strips a small band of white stripes outline in your main stripe that’s not supposed to be there my brother and I have addressed him on this issue but he still fails to correct it. I’ll get mine out and post you a pic of it. 

I too noticed some layer misalignment on the other decals on the sheet. Probably not super noticble with the white stripes but I'm not sure. I know of several people who have spoken very highly of Modeltruckin decals which is why I feel I expected better. They're better than anything I can do with an inkjet, and there aren't a lot of folks out there catering to truck modelers so I guess it is what it is. I've yet to get a response from Mr. Reeter about my inquiry, so if I'm impatient enough I'll spend for another set. If that ends up being the case, I'll just limit my business there is all. Like I mentioned before, I'm not bashing anyone, and the best course of action is to simply not be a repeat customer.

Edited by Casey429

On 4/16/2021 at 10:32 PM, Pete68 said:

Here’s mine I built back in 1989 like Casey’s the front axle looks center and the wheels snug underneath the hood 

A5F2646B-84BD-4EDA-8AC6-AB1C8459BCCC.jpeg

What a great survivor. I contemplated a brown paintjob for this, and had I used the original cab and hood I would have as the original builder painted it brown. But, since there are no parts of this truck in the current build I went with blue. When I rebuild the original truck I intended to, I'm going to spray it some shade of brown as a nod to its original builder.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update to satisfy the rules of BRBO and have an update for May. Not a whole lot to report as progress has stalled slightly. I ended up buying a second decal set to make the stripes more opaque and got those applied. I'm still not satisfied with them as they have a very noticeable matte finish and I think I will have to break down and apply clear. The weather has been so hit and miss that the days I have time to work the weather is BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, and days the weather is nice I'm usually doing outdoor stuff. The other hold up is I unknowingly jumped the gun and did a bunch of detail painting on the cab, window rubber and the like. So when I clear it, that will all end up shiny and I'll have to touch it up again...

So with that, that's my May update. I'm hoping to remedy the mentioned issues and get to final assembly soon!

• 1 month later...

I inadvertently missed a June update, because frankly there isn't one. I do however, have an update for early July and I'm happy to report I'm ready for final assembly. I got some clear laid down on the cab and hood to gloss up the decals. Once that cures for a bit I'll give it a quick polish, but credit to my first time with Tamiya clear, it's already pretty good. Just a couple flecks of dirt that need taken care of, and I should be ready to stick a fork in this.

Edited by Casey429
spelling