Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

I picked this one back up recently while waiting for decent paint conditions on other projects.

Started the build years ago but stashed it away until I figured out what to do next, saved the progress pictures and retrieved them.

I had several old  AMT 1929 roadster kits that I wanted to try a fifties style roadster for dragstrip with. 

This could go in the WIP Drag Racing Models, but is replicating kind of a vintage show car as well.

After trimming and drilling out lightening holes in a Revell 32 frame I set about fitting the rear wheel fender wells to fit the frame contours.

The engine is a Replicas and Miniatures resin flathead block with Model Car Garage valve covers (which I managed to chip some of the fins off while fitting the engine so I'll have to replace them).

Way back when this started, I attempted to scratch build an old fashioned Italmechannica blower...(before R&M produced their very nice resin SCOT blower).

I set this project aside when I hears the were vintage SCOT blowers in the very old AMT 57 Chevy and R & M was working on one.

 

 

 

  

29 roadster body in primer.JPG

Body shell fender well.JPG

29 roadster wheels front.JPG

PC253148.JPG

Tony Nancy 22 jr (2).jpg

Edited by SpeedShift
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Roadsters in this era often used moon disc type wheel covers on narrow implement tires, so I took spoked kit wheels from the Monogram 31 Ford and removed the protruding spokes from the front wheel to allow the flat discs.

The rear wheel has some nice bolt detail that may look ok.

P2073706.JPG

P2073711.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Took the Halibrand rear end from an Attempt One kit.

Narrow Firestone drag slicks are a black resin product from R & M

P3240382 (2).JPG

29 roadster chasis 2.JPG

29 roadster chasis 1.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Warmed up a bit this afternoon for an hour to allow me to shoot some ALCLAD white aluminum over their black base on the blower unit.

.

P3053812.JPG

 

SCOT blower ALCLAD 2.JPG

P3063820.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2021 at 9:51 PM, SpeedShift said:

Couldn't do it again if I tried 

I hear ya....loss of visual acuity and manual dexterity...something we are all going to have to adjust to...sooner or later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure I even remember how I even did it.

I did one half...made the two sides cast from Alumalite in an RTV MOLD.  

Was back in 1998 IIRC.

I had just gotten into car models....wanted an Italmechannica or  SCOT.....even if I had to make one

 

Edited by SpeedShift
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SpeedShift said:

I'm not sure I even remember how I even did it.

I did one half...made the two sides cast from Alumalite in an RTV MOLD.  

Was back in 1998 IIRC.

I had just gotten into car models....wanted an Italmechannica or  SCOT.....even if I had to make one

 

Well...its a unique one-off piece now!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work on that blower. Fine indeed. Body fit on the frame looks very good too.

Just a couple of FYIs;  those aren't "valve covers" on a flathead engine. They are the actual cylinder heads; and your quick-change rear end is upside down in that photo. It does matter.

Not being picky...just trying to be helpful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Very nice work on that blower. Fine indeed. Body fit on the frame looks very good too.

Just a couple of FYIs;  those aren't "valve covers" on a flathead engine. They are the actual cylinder heads; and your quick-change rear end is upside down in that photo. It does matter.

Not being picky...just trying to be helpful.

Ace knows of what he speaks Bro....he is the real deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Very nice work on that blower. Fine indeed. Body fit on the frame looks very good too.

Just a couple of FYIs;  those aren't "valve covers" on a flathead engine. They are the actual cylinder heads; and your quick-change rear end is upside down in that photo. It does matter.

Not being picky...just trying to be helpful.

Thanks Ace....good thing I haven't glued anything yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

This is such a cool project; loving the scratch-building!

Thank you Rusty and Dave ....sometimes scratch building is the only way to get what you need.

Edited by SpeedShift
Link to post
Share on other sites

On a shelf to one side of my bench I have a box marked "Tony Nancy Flathead Roadster"  Yep, been collecting parts (mostly the same as  yours) for years except that I didn't have the Revell hiboy frame when I first started collecting them! If you have access to early issues of SAE, a Californian guy by the name of Martin Faustneyer (IRRC) had a detailed build of this model in their pages, early nineties I am guessing.  It was on display at the Pomona NHRA Museum.

I already built the Buick tube framed car around thirty years ago and managed to get a bunch of photos of both cars when they were in the Petersen Museum in January 97.  If you are interested, I produced a wooden buck to vacform a scale thickness tonneau cover that fits the AMT body like a glove. You can see it in the "Show us your Model A roadsters" thread that was  started a few years ago on this forum. Would be happy to send you one if you need it.

That S.C.O.T. blower is a thing of great beauty! I will be watching this one very closely. Anything Tony Nancy built was a show car!

Cheers

Alan

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, alan barton said:

On a shelf to one side of my bench I have a box marked "Tony Nancy Flathead Roadster"  Yep, been collecting parts (mostly the same as  yours) for years except that I didn't have the Revell hiboy frame when I first started collecting them! If you have access to early issues of SAE, a Californian guy by the name of Martin Faustneyer (IRRC) had a detailed build of this model in their pages, early nineties I am guessing.  It was on display at the Pomona NHRA Museum.

I already built the Buick tube framed car around thirty years ago and managed to get a bunch of photos of both cars when they were in the Petersen Museum in January 97.  If you are interested, I produced a wooden buck to vacform a scale thickness tonneau cover that fits the AMT body like a glove. You can see it in the "Show us your Model A roadsters" thread that was  started a few years ago on this forum. Would be happy to send you one if you need it.

That S.C.O.T. blower is a thing of great beauty! I will be watching this one very closely. Anything Tony Nancy built was a show car!

Cheers

Alan

 

 

Alan, Yes...I have that issue....August 1994,  a good issue to get if you all are interested in this car (also has Larry Booth' incredible '57 T bird, Doug Whyte's '53 Syling Stude, and a how to photo etch article).

This was an excellent scale model of the 22 Jr. by Martyn Faistnauer, with details of the build.

That was an inspiration for me, although it also kind of sent me in a different path as he has built the definitive replica...and way beyond my skill level.

I'd like to have a look at your tonneau cover - If you can get a private message we can arrange something.

SAE  no. 92 Aug 94 a.JPG

SAE  no. 92 Aug 94.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift
Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful craftsmanship on your project. I did a '29 based on the 555 car a few years ago and researching it gave me a real appreciation for the workmanship and detail that went into cars like the Triple Nickle and the two versions of the Tony Nancy car. Capturing that aspect is one of the great challenges of doing these things in scale. I think you'll pull it off. Build on!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks Bernard....you set the bar high.

I had some nice weather (70 + degrees, low humidity) so I shot some paint (Tamiya red X-7 thinned and airbrushed) on the body shell and ALCLAD on parts. 

Have to redo the red paint on the frame as some pencil marks on the white primer frame bled thru the red.....

painted body shell 1.JPG

painted body shell 2.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...