Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Indian sport scout (Gunze Sangyo)

I've had this 1/12 Gunze Sangyo multi-media kit since the late '80s but I finally got around to it recently.  Now I'll have to also build its sister kit; the Rikuo (Harley under license) that I purchased at the same time as the Indian, 30 something years ago   

Paint is automotive basecoat/clearcoat 

1-P3072456.JPG

1-P3072457.JPG

1-P3072458.JPG

1-P3072459.JPG

1-P3072460.JPG

1-P3072461.JPG

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bbowser said:

Beautiful job, looks great in red!  I have this kit in the stash, how was the build?  Anything to look out for?

Yes, very nicely built!  I also have one of those and I have the same questions as Bruce.  How did you polish the metal parts (like handlebars)? What glue you used?  Etc. . .

8 hours ago, peteski said:

Yes, very nicely built!  I also have one of those and I have the same questions as Bruce.  How did you polish the metal parts (like handlebars)? What glue you used?  Etc. . .

I used both cyanoacrylate as well as 5 minute epoxy as adhesives. As for the handlebars, I still prefer using scissor-cut strips of quality aluminum muffler tape instead of the usual hobby foils. To me, it conforms better to curved surfaces and, using a fairly soft toothpick, you can burnish out most of the kinks that would otherwise cause bad reflections. I've been using the muffler tape for decades and ,as the saying goes, "practice makes perfect"  I've also had fairly good luck with Alclad chrome lacquer over gloss black. It's only drawback, as with Molitow chrome, is a lack of durability if it gets handled a lot..

Attached is an example of the Alclad chrome lacquer over gloss black on another of my projects

1-1-P8041491.JPG

1-1-P8051498-001.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...