Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Humbrol Fiat 131 Abarth Rebuild

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Here is a road version from 1976 driven by Franz Wittmann, multiple Austrian rally champion, in a road test for the Austrian autorevue magazine:

Thanks Helmut, looks like he was enjoying himself!

Really useful to see a road car photo, and it's reminded me I'd forgotten about the spoiler above the rear window. No rollcage, so that's something I don't necessarily have to find and repair.

Got the colour down on it today, Tamiya TS-53 Deep Metallic Blue as I thought it would be reminiscent of the dark blue used on the Olio Fiat cars.

IMG_0856.JPG.f22a452aef6f1e38ac7406412b62da7d.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG.efc3b5188e5bc503025f5007dea02a7a.JPG

It needs clearcoat, but I'm happy with it so far. Strange to see it properly in colour after 40+ years.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

On 5/11/2024 at 10:10 PM, Funkychiken said:

Superb! I guess your house move got completed! 

Thanks Atin! And yes it did, been here for over 2.5 years now, so pretty much settled in. Still don't have quite as good a modelling set-up as I used to have, but I found room to store all the unbuilt kits and I keep messing about with the WIPs whenever I can.

No photos, but I gave the first couple of colour coats a wet sanding and then applied another two coats followed by the Mr Hobby Gloss Clear. That looks to have gone down nicely, should just need minimal polishing which I'll do at the weekend.

Have also made a start on a new engine and 'box from one of the spare sprues. Should go together pretty simply from this point onwards.

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 12:32 PM, David G. said:

It's great seeing this one back on the bench.

Nice color, the body work looks real good.

David G.

Thanks David. With more coats the colour has got quite a bit darker, I'm keen to see what it looks like sunlight.

On 5/16/2024 at 8:36 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Nice to see a 'spares box' kit being resurrected!

Thank you Noel. The spares box is still being raided, just this morning I managed to locate the radiator, fire extinguisher, steering wheel, gearlever and pedals. For whatever reason I hadn't found them first time round, maybe it helped as I knew what I was looking for this time....

IMG_0979.JPG.a2aa4d7b9932032316d356cb73a9f652.JPG

Current state of play, with pretty much everything I need to complete it prepped, in progress or at least located. Front and rear screens will be separated from the side glass, and I'll cut the latter from flat clear sheet.

IMG_0983.JPG.56748f6319fad32ac07b19dfa7b48b00.JPG

Pleasing to see an engine in place again. I built this up from one of the 5x spare sprues. Bodywork fully painted and polished, have made a modest start on the black trim detailing.

IMG_0976.JPG.634a4e91798e728aaaa3d18d1d4d991d.JPG

Crude mock-up, with no suspension. I suspect I'm going to have to lower the rally car suspension for it to look good as a hi-po road car.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

That is really looking sharp Nigel!

Having all those parts together in one tidy pile must be exciting. I'm sure you're eager to bring this one across the finish line.

David G.

• Thanks 1

Probably my last WIP update on this one, it's coming together nicely and there's a vague possibility I could get it finished tomorrow (a public holiday here in the UK, so no work for me).

IMG_1003.JPG.4a2d07f5312daa75169244038ebbfdc0.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG.849b18c048d91a1f9476664fcb02a4c8.JPG

Fairly basic interior is done, engine is installed along with what I could find of the ancillaries. Made a start on the body trim detailing.

Before and after on the rear end:

IMG_5870.JPG.12380aabd66c3a30bb63a1158c9a567f.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG.e307a2e2ea9d72ee1f431553818fc6f3.JPG

I'd painted the lights black because I had in my mind it was a rallycross car and that was a quick, easy way for me to blank them out. Fast forward 40+ years and I have to make them look like lights again. I went over the black with Gundam Chrome Marker, then painted a couple of coats of clear red and amber (and leaving the reverse lights). The black slightly bled through, a happy accident which seems to give them a bit of depth.

IMG_1013.JPG.16de58bf72bcff672bca30bdc189aca0.JPG

Sorry, no detailing here. One day, but not on this build.

IMG_1015.JPG.f02425b924e8a43e0dfb299fd7bd1178.JPG

Final mock-up, still without suspension - that's one of several jobs I have tomorrow.

I have fitted headlight lenses, but they're not easily visible. Some years ago I saw aftermarket grille and light sets for this kit, now wishing I'd bought one.....