Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod model car builders who also own or build 1/1 scale hot rods...let's start a list...

I’d like to add Alan Cozby to the list.  One of the early founders of the NNL (or at least part of the responsibility),  Alan has for years been an owner and builder of very fine 1/1s, and is also a very prolific builder and collector of scale autos as well.  I believe Alan currently has a very nice 58 Impala, and a tasty 32 3 window in his garage.

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I recall David's GSL work, but didn't make the connection of his Chrysler executive career and didn't know of his 1/1 scale Ferraris.  This would fully qualify him in my mind view.    OF course there was the late Chuck Jordan who was GM's Design VP,  and was a very prominent collector of 1/43 scale Ferrari resin and white metal models....(and a very big  behind the scenes assist to Revell-Monogram on certain models such as their landmark 1969 Camaro Z-28 and SS-396 replica stock kits of the 1990's). 

Thanks for the info, Kurt.....TIM 

Welcome Tim.  I met him at a White Mountain contest (Tim Pentecost show), he lived in Tucson, and we had lunch at a GSL show, so that's the only reason I know something about him.

Another name that comes to mind is Dave Berry.  Last time I saw Dave was at NNL #5? In about 1985 where he was showing his latest build, the amazing 90% brass Indy car which he went on to win best engineered, and Best In Show at GSL with soon after.  I totally lost contact with Dave after that, but one day I happened to notice an issue of Kit Car Magazine with a pic of a gorgeous silver Porsche Speedster on the cover.  When I open to the full center spread, there was Dave’s smiling face as the owner builder.  If anyone has any idea how to contact Dave Berry, I sure would love to hear it.  Dave was an inspiration for me just as much as Richard Carroll when it comes to building with brass!

5 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Sam....that's quite a car building history.....I've never heard a '53 called a Short Step....I presume that means SWB Flareside (Stepside) .... in any case, sounds like a winner in the waiting....TIM 

Thanks Tim,  and yes, stepside. Here is a pic. It is sidelined until I replace the steering gearbox.  As my sister's father-in-law once told me (rancher in eastern Wyoming) when I borrowed one of the old ranch trucks,  "son, you're gonna have to ride herd on that one".

20200524_153412.jpg

The first model builders I thought of were the Titus brothers. They built radical custom models cars as kids and then brought them to life as adults. (A fantasy of mine.)

Here is the first one they brought to life. The Voodoo Spider.

voodoospider-vi.jpg

I think they were completing the 1:1 of the King Scorpion when Eldon passed away. 

kingscorpion-vi.jpg

Scott

4 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

So come to think of it, I believe we could add both Richard Carroll, and Bruce Owen to this list as well.

Tim....yes, that is also the last time I heard about Dave Berry....great talent as we both know!  Richard and Bruce,,,yes, particularly Bruce (his pearl blue customized '74 Z-28), I'm sure I've read something about Richard's 1/1's too but I can't recall the specifics....TIM 

Steve Magnante. Magazine writer, Barrett Jackson commenter, Roadkill's Junkyard Gold host, author, podcaster, etc etc. Built several magazine cars including the Wilshire Shaker Nova and the Funny Fairmont. He's been known to attend the Classic Plastic show in Lawrence, MA.

Hey Tim. 

Thanks for the kind words about my models in the Cutlass "el Camino" thread. As I said before it was an honor to be featured in your Street Rodder column.

I am just about finished with my 1:1 56 F100 (interior is being installed as this is written) and am in the process of replicating it in 1:25th scale.  See the thread "DeFoosing the FD100" in the "Pickups and Vans" in process section. Attached are a few pics of both projects.

truck side.jpg

h 1.jpg

a 1.jpg

gate open.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Thanks for the mention @tim boyd

My Dad and I own and operate a 2-man shop in Southern California called Early V8 Garage. We specialize in 1930’s and 1940’s Ford’s, both stock and early style traditional hot rods. He created the shop in 1996 (but has been in our shop building since 1985, previously his hobby shop) and I have been there since 1999 (just after turning 19 and bailing on my job at PepBoys.) It’s always been just the 2 of us. In addition to working on and building cars we also have an exclusive line of products for converting 1932 to 1938 Ford’s from their original mechanical brakes to hydraulic (master cylinder bracket/linkage kits, pre-bent brake line kits, fittings, etc.)

Between 2005-2007 I built this authentic to the 40’s ‘27 T Roadster on ‘32 rails. I put thousands of miles on this car and sadly sold it in 2013 and it now resides in Australia. But, it couldn’t have gone to a better person and we are now good friends. 

IMG_9207-vi.jpg

This is my ‘32 Pickup which most of the time is my daily driver (and it has Tim’s favorite motor!) My dad gave me this truck when I was 2 and it was completely stock. It’s now on its 3rd version.

IMG_6553-vi.jpg

Outside of hot rods my other automotive love are late 80’s and early 90’s 5-liter Mustangs. They are the only “modern” car I’ve had since I was 15.  Here’s my current original paint 1987 GT that is lightly modified at the moment but in a few months will get a full old school Ford Motorsport GT40 engine parts combo that I’ve been collecting for a proper “1992” build. 

1616365070090-vi.jpg

Edited by Dennis Lacy

I have my never ending  F100 project, just like my model builds............never ending. :) 

The 1st pic was today. slapped some original mid 70's Ford wheels on it and the hub caps are from my Wife's Dad's truck from way back when. Since I work more than not it seems I love to drive it to work, that is it sitting on the dock and the pic is me driving home from work. Been 2 years now since I had it on the road. 

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_6212 (1).JPG

I only own cars with "potential". No run of the mill skateboards for me.

My project car is a 78 Trans Am I bought in Fresno, Ca for $400. Originally a 400/4 spd combo. Came with a 403 Olds and an automatic. I had my suspicions when I found the Z code in the Vin, but was confirmed when I found the clutch pedal tucked under the carpet! I currently have a W72 400 block waiting to be rebuilt. Still looking for a Borg Warner Super T10 to match up with it.

My keeper is a 75 Ranchero GT that my dad bought new. I still remember riding home in it the first day and can almost remember the new car smell it had. Stays garaged!

My daily driver is a 90 Silverado shortbed with a shabby red metallic paint and grey velour interior. Another keeper my dad bought new. It's going to get restored someday. For now I keep it maintained and reliable until then.

My wife's mode is a 96 Suburban. The perfect family truckster for us. It provides us capability to do anything! Another one we want to rebuild when the kids grow out of it.

I started building models in 1968, built my first 1:1 in 1975, a 64 Olds Cutlass with a Buick wildcat engine, after that went to Fords and never looked back. First Ford was a 57 f100 with 390/ toploader combo, then I built a 67 Mustang coupe with a sideoiler/toploader, then worked in a Mustang restoration shop restoring Mustangs And Shelbys. next build was a 64 Galaxie R code clone, a 69 Torino coupe, and a bunch more ....currently have a 63 F100 Uni,

DSCN5081.thumb.JPG.2c0426760b561eb6fd8bbf72ed2c9c19.JPG

Later

While I no longer have any pictures of my 1:1 '70 Plymouth Duster 340, I did build a model of it about ten years ago with the AMT '71 Duster 340 kit.  I scratch-built a front bench seat, added a resin grille from Sport Suburban, deleted the A/C and got some side stripes from the late Fury3 aka Dave Greibling.

Duster01.JPG

Duster02.JPG

Duster03.JPG

Duster04.JPG

Duster05.JPG

Edited by mrmike

Eric Ellerbusch and Russ Beckwith both come to mind. 

This is Eric's Riviera. I don't know if he ever finished it. Last time I saw a post on it he was making some pretty tasty modifications.

cars4-6bmp.jpg

And this is Russ' immaculate Model A Cabriolet. He's also got a nice shoebox Ford.

IMG_6486-vi.jpg

Here's my 1:1 build list: 

38 Chevy Coupe was built by my dad in the 70's-80's, and I'm collecting parts for a complete mechanical rebuild. The crusty 40 Ford Tudor was my only complete build, drug it out of a field and did everything except the paint and interior. It was a 350 Chevy hooked to the original 40 trans and banjo rear. The 65 Bug is the current project, I need to build the motor for it. The 56 Buick was a 2 owner original I did a bunch of work to get it road worthy and reliable, also lowered it all the way around. 

@Dennis LacyI'm pretty sure I bought some brake lines from you or your dad over the phone for the 40 Ford, it had F100 brakes so I needed hoses that adapted from original size 40 brake lines to F100 style wheel cylinders. I'm almost positive I got them from you.

38chev.JPG

40 trailer.jpg

40var.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_0061.JPG

Edited by Dan Hay

That '38 Chevy looks great Dan, cute VW as well.  My wife before I knew her bought a new '68 VW ( We had a couple others later in life). Since she hung around with a pretty notable hot rod crowd back then she couldn't resist "hot rodding" it and blew the engine not once but twice.  She got rid of it for a '66 GTO Convertable.

On 3/21/2021 at 3:42 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

Thanks for the mention @tim boyd

My Dad and I own and operate a 2-man shop in Southern California called Early V8 Garage. We specialize in 1930’s and 1940’s Ford’s, both stock and early style traditional hot rods. He created the shop in 1996 (but has been in our shop building since 1985, previously his hobby shop) and I have been there since 1999 (just after turning 19 and bailing on my job at PepBoys.) It’s always been just the 2 of us. In addition to working on and building cars we also have an exclusive line of products for converting 1932 to 1938 Ford’s from their original mechanical brakes to hydraulic (master cylinder bracket/linkage kits, pre-bent brake line kits, fittings, etc.)

Between 2005-2007 I built this authentic to the 40’s ‘27 T Roadster on ‘32 rails. I put thousands of miles on this car and sadly sold it in 2013 and it now resides in Australia. But, it couldn’t have gone to a better person and we are now good friends. 

IMG_9207-vi.jpg

This is my ‘32 Pickup which most of the time is my daily driver (and it has Tim’s favorite motor!) My dad gave me this truck when I was 2 and it was completely stock. It’s now on its 3rd version.

IMG_6553-vi.jpg

Outside of hot rods my other automotive love are late 80’s and early 90’s 5-liter Mustangs. They are the only “modern” car I’ve had since I was 15.  Here’s my current original paint 1987 GT that is lightly modified at the moment but in a few months will get a full old school Ford Motorsport GT40 engine parts combo that I’ve been collecting for a proper “1992” build. 

1616365070090-vi.jpg

I've had the honor and privilege of riding in both of ADL's hot rods. I even got to drive the '27!! -RRR