Model Cars Magazine Forum

Large scale.

I miss it too. I know it’s easier to have less categories (although how many β€˜truck’ categories do ya need?)Β 

the differentΒ scales really are different animals ...more so than subject in modeling, say IΒ 

i wonder if there’s one of those algorithm thingys that can auto label the post heads with the scale in them ... or mandate by penalty of odorless glue to those who don’t use the scale in their post heads (you can tell I like that smell)

i don’t mean to sound like a large scale snob, but as much as I respect 1/24 scale, 2 inch thick spark plug wires really messΒ stuff up

4 hours ago, LaughingIndian said:

i don’t mean to sound like a large scale snob, but as much as I respect 1/24 scale, 2 inch thick spark plug wires really messΒ stuff up

Aren't we exaggerating a wee bit Mike? :)

2" spark plug wire in 1:24 scale would have 0.083" diameter.Β  Most modelers use either 0.016" or 0.012" diameter wire (Detail master or ProTech).Β  That scales out to 0.38" and 0.288".Β Β  Nowhere near 2".Β  Now I also model in 1:43 scale and that gets a bit tricker.Β  On my 289 Cobra I used 0.012" wire (scales out to 0.516"). While oversize, it doesn't look too bad (and still not 2"!).

EngineChassis08_zpsf9a66090.jpg

Remember, this is 1:43 scale.

Having said all that, I have built models in scales ranging from 1:6 to 1:220, and I also miss the separate large scale section where I could easily get my large scale "fix".

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, peteski said:

Aren't we exaggerating a wee bit Mike? :)

2" spark plug wire in 1:24 scale would have 0.083" diameter.Β  Most modelers use either 0.016" or 0.012" diameter wire (Detail master or ProTech).Β  That scales out to 0.38" and 0.288".Β Β  Nowhere near 2".Β  Now I also model in 1:43 scale and that gets a bit tricker.Β  On my 289 Cobra I used 0.012" wire (scales out to 0.516"). While oversize, it doesn't look too bad (and still not 2"!).

EngineChassis08_zpsf9a66090.jpg

Remember, this is 1:43 scale.

Having said all that, I have built models in scales ranging from 1:6 to 1:220, and I also miss the separate large scale section where I could easily get my large scale "fix".

Lol, ok Pete that was an exaggeration ...Β Β some of the most amazing models I ever saw were in the smaller scales. And that engine bay above is amazing ... really ... except for that skinny fan belt ... πŸ˜‡

45 minutes ago, LaughingIndian said:

And that engine bay above is amazing ... really ... except for that skinny fan belt ... πŸ˜‡

LOL Mike, there is just no way to make you happy.Β  In smaller scales the spark plug wires are too thick, and in even smaller scale, the fan belts are too thin!Β Β  ;)

And thanks!

Edited by peteski

14 minutes ago, peteski said:

LOL Mike, there is no way to make you happy.Β  In smaller scales the spark plug wires are too thick, and in even smaller scale, the fan belts are too thin!Β Β  ;)

And thanks!

You’re welcome Pete.

I just went through some old photos of my stuff and couldn’t find one pic where there wasn’t a scale problem. Β I’m doing a Gee Bee R1 in BALSA right now and you would laugh at my cheatin’ on the scale stuff.

talk about a whole other animal ...

Β 

Β 

23 hours ago, LaughingIndian said:

You’re welcome Pete.

I just went through some old photos of my stuff and couldn’t find one pic where there wasn’t a scale problem. Β I’m doing a Gee Bee R1 in BALSA right now and you would laugh at my cheatin’ on the scale stuff.

talk about a whole other animal ...

Β 

Β 

Mike, scale model photography is really a challenge.Β  Unless the lighting is just right most round objects such as spark plug wires look too large.Β  That is because most photos are litΒ  inline with the round objects and thus you lose the shadowing on the bottom than you have when you see the same object in 1:1. In other words, lighting flattens round objects.Β Β Β The best way to change that is to make the light source above the line of the shot.Β  This gives the subtle shadows that make round objects "look" right.Β 

Pete_s_935_Engine_480x480.jpg?v=1557862502

12 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Mike, scale model photography is really a challenge.Β  Unless the lighting is just right most round objects such as spark plug wires look too large.Β  That is because most photos are litΒ  inline with the round objects and thus you lose the shadowing on the bottom than you have when you see the same object in 1:1. In other words, lighting flattens round objects.Β Β Β The best way to change that is to make the light source above the line of the shot.Β  This gives the subtle shadows that make round objects "look" right.Β 

Pete_s_935_Engine_480x480.jpg?v=1557862502

Oh sure, sharieΒ pics of a 1:1 scale motor to discuss scale lighting πŸ˜‰Β 

• 2 months later...

Mad Mike has the scale wiring down pat on hisΒ  1/8 Indy Ford.Β  That is one of the nice things about large scale is the availability of materials that can be used to approximate the 1:1 parts.Β  Mad mike has the wiring down on his 1/8 Indy Ford.Β  I like to use 24 gauge electric wire that comes in many colors. Solid rather than braided seems to be more manageable and hold if's shape.Β  The injected engine uses 24 ga.Β  The blown engine I believe are 22 ga. because I wanted a high performance silicon look, but I think they are a tad too big.

Of course these are apples to oranges compared to a small block Chevy in your T.

Michaels Ford Indy Build.jpg

Injector V12.jpg

Big Bad Blower 1.jpg