Model Cars Magazine Forum

School me on gassers

26 minutes ago, ksnow said:

That GK website is an absolute treasure trove of primary documentation. When I do decide to build one, I'll definitely be using that for reference.

I can't spend five minutes there without getting at least six or eight ideas for new builds I'd like to do. B)

After a VERY cursory glance of the GK web site, a gasser build has moved up my list of projects. I love the back yard ones, just normal guys with normal jobs who want to drive a fast car. 

Neat to see the small details. Things like mismatched front and rear wheels, towing setups, and almost level stance at rest. Paint jobs ranged from some pretty spectacular graphics to what looks like rolled on house paint.

Was there any body lift on these? Or does it just look that way with the bigger rear tires (and trimmed quarters) and raised up front ends to level it out.

Some of them look taller than modern 4wd pickups.

10 hours ago, ksnow said:

Was there any body lift on these? Or does it just look that way with the bigger rear tires (and trimmed quarters) and raised up front ends to level it out.

Some of them look taller than modern 4wd pickups.

10 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

The Falcon is super cool JC 👍

Thanks Mike.  I used the Trumpeter Falcon chassis and the Revell '41 Willys suspension on my build without raising anything.  The bigger tires raise the car significantly.

DSCN5189DSCN6992

Edited by afx

14 hours ago, ksnow said:

Was there any body lift on these?

If by "body lift" you mean were the bodies raised relative to the frames (as on some "lifted" trucks, and of questionable functional value even there), the answer is unequivocally NO.

The "gasser" frames were raised relative to the ground by suspension mods.

Looks like some had to be nose high just to clear the headers.

Nice looking models, guys. I think I have a 51 Chevy in the stash that just might have to be built into one of these.

Yes, Ace, I was asking about body to frame lift. It didn't appear that way in any of the photos, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

38 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

Some gassers were nose high, probably not successful cars but still had a look to them.

009_326_orig.jpg

modsports_20.jpg

43047671-2172529989433441-8402950179996565504-o_orig.jpg

1_1063_orig.jpg

Look at the class designations. The first two are BM/SP meaning B Modified Sports. They aren't gassers. I don't remember what the deal is with L'il Crawl Along. My brain is telling me it wasn't in the US, but I could be mistaken. The last 'Vette looks like it has /MSP on the windshield. The T-Bird shown in the OP most likely is not a gasser since it doesn't have a roof, or at least the convertible top up.

Edited by Draggon

44 minutes ago, Draggon said:

Look at the class designations. The first two are BM/SP meaning B Modified Sports. They aren't gassers. I don't remember what the deal is with L'il Crawl Along. My brain is telling me it wasn't in the US, but I could be mistaken. The last 'Vette looks like it has /MSP on the windshield. The T-Bird shown in the OP most likely is not a gasser since it doesn't have a roof, or at least the convertible top up.

1_1000_orig.jpg

1_998_orig.jpg

009_407_orig.jpg

1_622_orig.jpg

1_623_orig.jpg

1_624_orig.jpg

1_676_orig.jpg

1_732_orig.jpg

1_894_orig.jpg

The Modified Sports class used basically the same rules as the Gassers (so did the Street Roadsters) as far as allowable and prohibited modifications and so forth. The MSP class eventually went away and the cars got incorporated into the Gas classes, probably with few if any modifications. 

This MIGHT (I'd have to look at the rulebooks) have had something to do with wheelbases. When NHRA shortened the wheelbase length requirement around 1966 to let the Anglias in, that might have been when the MSPs went away. 

NHRA did fold the Modified Sports (and maybe some of the Street Roadster) classes into Gas in the late Sixties, IIRC.  I seem to remember seeing pictures of Hugh Tucker's supercharged '28 Chevy bodied car running as a gasser towards the end of its racing career.

I'm getting schooled here, on a subject I thought I really knew. The 1960 NHRA rulebook says nothing about gas class cars needing to sit level, and does not have the 24" to crankshaft engine height requirement. The 1968 rulebook states that "bodies and/or frames may not be raised to gain weight transfer" and has the crankshaft rule. 

1960: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2006u57wp7sqpxt/AAC9WnRAsXqmyEgvaR8KYSowa?preview=1960_Drag_Rules.pdf

1968: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2006u57wp7sqpxt/AAC9WnRAsXqmyEgvaR8KYSowa?preview=1968_Drag_Rules.pdf

More rulebooks courtesy of VW93. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2006u57wp7sqpxt/AAC9WnRAsXqmyEgvaR8KYSowa

In one of the NHRA rulebooks, I forget which one, maybe around '65 or '66, There's a photo of a Corvette coupe gasser sitting MUCH higher than the "lower edge of the body must not be higher than the axle centerlines" rule allows--right across from the page where that rule is stated! :lol:

I spent about 20 minutes in the GK site yesterday and didn't get halfway through the gassers. It is a GREAT resource for getting the feel of what these things really looked like back in the day. B)

8 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

In one of the NHRA rulebooks, I forget which one, maybe around '65 or '66, There's a photo of a Corvette coupe gasser sitting MUCH higher than the "lower edge of the body must not be higher than the axle centerlines" rule allows--right across from the page where that rule is stated! :lol:

Those guys were masters at bending the rules with all kinds of tricks. 

Seems like the rule book changes over the years moved the classes more towards going fast, than running what you brought or keeping the class "pure". But, they weren't exactly nostalgic like we are. They were doing it for the first time, going fast was the primary concern.