Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Vintage 67 Mustang parts wanted

I am looking for a Hood and Grille/Bumper for the AMT 60's issue of the 1967 Ford Mustang, more specifically for the Mach 1/Iron Horse show cars.

The 90's issue hood will work, (kinda, and I already have one of those) but the grille is not the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mach 1 02.JPG

Edited by Ralph Henderson

If you don't find one here, I'd recommend looking on eBay. Stuff like this turns up all the time. Over the last couple years I've been able to buy--at reasonable prices--the complete custom parts sets from original AMT annual '65 Impala (two sets), '66 Impala, '66 Skylark, '67 Camaro, and '68 Cougar. And yes I plan to use them all. 

I'd search for both '67 Mustang and '68 Mustang in Toys & Hobbies--a seller might not know which year he has. Checking about twice a week is sufficient since most auctions go at least 5 or 7 days. It might take a while but I'd be willing to bet one will eventually appear. Good luck! 

37 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

If you don't find one here, I'd recommend looking on eBay. Stuff like this turns up all the time. Over the last couple years I've been able to buy--at reasonable prices--the complete custom parts sets from original AMT annual '65 Impala (two sets), '66 Impala, '66 Skylark, '67 Camaro, and '68 Cougar. And yes I plan to use them all. 

I'd search for both '67 Mustang and '68 Mustang in Toys & Hobbies--a seller might not know which year he has. Checking about twice a week is sufficient since most auctions go at least 5 or 7 days. It might take a while but I'd be willing to bet one will eventually appear. Good luck! 

Thanks!  I am watching ebay, and I have purchased quite a few lots containing old custom parts, etc.  Just figgered I'd check here as well.

You just never know?

On 3/24/2021 at 11:53 AM, Ralph Henderson said:

Thanks!  I am watching ebay, and I have purchased quite a few lots containing old custom parts, etc.  Just figgered I'd check here as well.

You just never know?

Now or maybe never.  Seller has the hood also.  Happy bidding.

F7A16B53-A6E0-421D-A25C-05B042222205.png

Edited by vamach1
4 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Now or maybe never.  Seller has the hood also.  Happy bidding.

F7A16B53-A6E0-421D-A25C-05B042222205.png

Has anyone here bought from this guy? I won an auction almost 2 weeks ago and still hasn't shipped my stuff or responded to messages.

7 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

Has anyone here bought from this guy? I won an auction almost 2 weeks ago and still hasn't shipped my stuff or responded to messages.

I have not purchased from this seller but with almost 900 feedback in just a month with only a few negatives I’m guessing he is shipping at least three  dozen items a day and is backed up on getting them out.  Personally I do not want to get into a bidding war over one part that two people want from a rare kit. Also, some of the parts should be small enough to send in a 55 cent envelope and not be charging a flat $5.

5724B3C5-BDCF-490D-B656-F5725CC47757.png

F99B8F90-EB9C-40B9-8FF8-8CEE017D0F84.png

I have bought from that guy, never any problems.  Check the fine print, maybe he's away for a while and won't get back to sending messages right away.

I was going to say you should do searches specific to this kit and its variants: Mach I, Autolite Special, Superstang Gasser, and Iron Horse.  These kits have nothing to do with any other AMT '67 or '68 Mustang kit (chassis and engine are shared with their '66 coupe kit however)...but you've got that under control...

Seldom does anyone buy just one part at a time, so combined shipping usually enters the picture.  Sending parts in a flat envelope for 55 cents usually doesn't end well.

I have bought several items from this seller. He'll combine shipping if you ask. And he does take a long time to ship things out. Don't know why. But you will eventually get them. 

11 minutes ago, Mark said:

Seldom does anyone buy just one part at a time, so combined shipping usually enters the picture.  Sending parts in a flat envelope for 55 cents usually doesn't end well.

I hear you on that given the USPS these days.  Back in January it took a month to get some decals I ordered from another vendor and he shipped them the next day.  It’s still annoying to pay as much for a part as the shipping if you bid one multiple items but only win one small part.  I probably have dozens of parts I could sell one at a time but I would rather be building models than selling parts. 😉

I know that if I were off from work, I'd be combing through my stash of parts and doing some selling...

28 minutes ago, Mark said:

I know that if I were off from work, I'd be combing through my stash of parts and doing some selling...

I wish I could get knowledge of items in your stash....I'd be buying.   I have bought a ton of stuff from this seller...(vintagemodelcarparts)... always has been slow to ship...BUT ...... In the last year his negatives have multiplied & his comments have become terribly harsh! ....also has hung me out twice. ....I refuse to give him the third opportunity!   IMHO. ...bid with caution if at all. 

As a member of this forum....I could not let this fall on deaf ears.

I'm blocked from bidding or even messaging this guy on ebay.  No idea why, I have never been able to buy anything frrom him.

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

I have bought several items from this seller. He'll combine shipping if you ask. And he does take a long time to ship things out. Don't know why. But you will eventually get them. 

Same here, exactly. If you buy two or more things, wait for a combined invoice from him before you pay and he'll combine shipping. He does sometimes take a week or two to get things out but I HAVE eventually gotten everything I've ever bought from him--prolly over a dozen items by now. 

2 hours ago, afx said:

I'm blocked from bidding or even messaging this guy on ebay.  No idea why, I have never been able to buy anything frrom him.

I had that happen with someone, I was blocked even though I hadn't dealt with the guy previously.  I had my brother throw in a bid on his account, he got the part and I paid him for it.  Ironically, it was a window unit for this same kit (Mach I concept).

I have dealt with this guy, he is slow, 2-4 weeks in some cases. One man shop, family, and a job. If I can get the parts I want at the price I am willing to pay?  I'm good. I do wish he wouldn't part out perfectly good kits/rescues, though. But it's his stuff...

Now if I can just get one or two items without a bidding war...

13 minutes ago, Ralph Henderson said:

I have dealt with this guy, he is slow, 2-4 weeks in some cases. One man shop, family, and a job. If I can get the parts I want at the price I am willing to pay?  I'm good. I do wish he wouldn't part out perfectly good kits/rescues, though. But it's his stuff...

Now if I can just get one or two items without a bidding war...

I will not outbid you.  😉  The hood is more common and hopefully you can snag one.  The grille is the unique piece.

I just have to wonder if he is parting out complete kits that could easily sell for $100 give or take.  That would seem much simpler than selling hundreds of parts and dealing with shipping, Ebay fees and the sheer time to post pictures etc.  I suppose his total sales from the parts he sells might be more than selling whole kits but time is money so there is that to consider.  It must take a couple hours a day or more I’m guessing just to list and ship stuff.

B4710320-DFB6-4E8A-8E9C-8CFE3555E391.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
1 minute ago, vamach1 said:

I will not outbid you.  😉  The hood is more common and hopefully you can snag one.  The grille is the unique piece.

I don't NEED the unique grille, one of the custom grilles, without the emblem, would be fine for the purpose of this kit.  I wouldn't MIND having the unique , 1 year grille, but oh well..

4 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

and, with a little bit of work, the current issue hood will work, but I hate it when everything winds up being a science project...

32 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

I just have to wonder if he is parting out complete kits that could easily sell for $100 give or take.  That would seem much simpler than selling hundreds of parts and dealing with shipping, Ebay fees and the sheer time to post pictures etc.  I suppose his total sales from the parts he sells might be more than selling whole kits but time is money so there is that to consider.  It must take a couple hours a day or more I’m guessing just to list and ship stuff.

Wonder no more, that is exactly what he is doing. I've watched him part out many rare intact kits and sell them part by part, including a '66 Skylark and a '68 Cougar. Sometimes he gangs all the custom parts from a kit together and offers them as one lot and these sometimes go for a reasonable price. That's how I got all the custom parts for a spare '68 Cougar bare body I happened to have from a junkyard lot. 

Selling an older kit part by part nets him more money than by selling them whole, especially if one is started or is missing something.  Certain parts fetch absolutely stupid money.  With Modelhaus gone, and with many people working from home, or less than normal hours, or not at all, they seem to be going through their collections and going after critically needed parts for "someday" projects.  I've seen things like early Sixties Ford pickup hood emblems going for over $20.  

A while back, I forked out $20 or so for an unused '65 Chrysler glass unit.  Sounds stupid to some people, but I have an otherwise mint kit with a cracked windshield.  I only had $30 in the kit to start with, so for a little more than $50 I have a mint, complete kit that (if I intended to sell it) could fetch three or even four times that at the right show.  I did have a windshield from a Jo-Han Plymouth police car, it did fit the Chrysler, but now I've got the absolutely correct part for the kit.  I have seen a couple of glass units for other kits go for north of $50.  I was always a pack rat, going through parts boxes at shows and picking up parts boxes at flea markets and automotive swap meets.  That habit has paid off over the long haul, as I didn't get in an order during the Modelhaus closeout but overall am not in bad shape where those little pieces are concerned.