Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/48 Spirit of St Louis

Been on an aircraft kick lately and built this one from start to finish in less than a month. This one is gonna be a ceiling hanger so I left out all cockpit detail and blacked out the windows from the inside with a wide black Sharpie. The cockpit details that are provided in the kit are quite adequate if one wants to use them. It also comes with a sitting and a standing figure of Lindbergh although you only get one head.

She's painted with Tamiya TS 17 with no clear coat and the tires are Vallejo German dark grey. Engine done in MM flat black and pushrod tubes in MM chrome silver along with pitot and prop blades. This kit had some of the best decals I have ever used.

Thanks for looking

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

Edited by oldscool

Great model. This 'plane has always fascinated me because Lindbergh has no forward vision at all! He would yaw the thing and look out of the side windows, apparently he was used to flying mail planes from the rear seat with the front loaded with mailbags. A periscope was developed but it's not clear if this was used much if at all.

Beautiful job. It looks very nice. I've thought about picking up this kit several times. But, have wondered about the decals for the engine mount/cowl, and the propeller spinner. You indicated this kit had some of the best decals you've ever worked with. This is good to hear. I may have to pick one up. 

The decals for the cowling went on very well and fit perfectly but up close they look nothing like engine turned metal.

The real aircraft had a retractable periscope on the port side. It can be seen extended in some of the museum photos I found on the web.

• 3 weeks later...