Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus prices on the Bay

I keep seeing Modelhaus products on the auction site asking ridiculously high prices. Are any of these really selling for those? I know Modelhaus made great stuff but, really, 500-600 dollars for a kit....I can't afford that so I wonder if anyone is really paying this much for one.

Steve

One vendor. Most others listed about 1/2-1/3 the idiotic prices. 
Same vendor lists everything as Modelhaus. Has couple Johan repop kits, few other castings that aren’t in same class listed the same. R&R at least one in the listings. 

I've seen some of those kits as well on E Bay and with prices that are very well though the roof. I'm guessing that with Modelhaus closed for good, some E Bay vendors who are selling Modelhaus products are bound to engage in price gouging. Greed doesn't fly with some.

Edited by John M.

Funny, I bought two kits when they announced their retirement with the intention of building them both. Ended up selling one of the kits to a fellow modeler because I knew he would build it, and he did. I still have the other and have wondered about selling it, but will likely build it as it would look great for what I have planned. I am sure there were many speculators who placed large orders with the sole intention of selling them later on eBay for insane money.

If you are interested in whether some item sells, you can "watch" the item.  I usually watch about 15-20 items.   Many items are automatically relisted, so you just watch the same item for a very long time.  If the items are listed for limited number of days, then when the auction ends (with no sale) and the item is relisted, that will be shown in your watched list, so you can then watch the relisted item.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

If you are interested in whether some item sells, you can "watch" the item.  I usually watch about 15-20 items.   Many items are automatically relisted, so you just watch the same item for a very long time.  If the items are listed for limited number of days, then when the auction ends (with no sale) and the item is relisted, that will be shown in your watched list, so you can then watch the relisted item.

That's what I do so that I can get an idea of what things are really selling for.  I can't imagine spending that kind of money (hundreds of dollars) on any model kit, but I guess there isn't any one kit that means that much to me.  I'll just build something else.  There are so many subjects I want to build, I will stay busy for years with "affordable" models.  But then I'm not what you would consider a "collector" either.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:44 PM, keyser said:

Knew I should have popped the 61 CdV and the 61 300 convert. To build. Not as retirement fund. 

For the CdV, you could take a builtup '61 Fleetwood kit with a bad roof, or the current Decko resin kit, and use a '62 Buick roof with modified C-pillars to get you close. Don't forget the wheelcovers are easily found custom items from the '64 Mercury kit. 

Wow! I was lucky enough to purchase 5 kits from Modelhaus just before they closed. 2 are built, one is in the WIP section now, 2 left to build.
For me, I don’t buy kits to “collect” them, I buy them to build. I will pay decent money for a rare kit, but $600 is ridiculous in my opinion. I actually still have the 61 Caddy waiting to be built, and look forward to building it in the future. No, it’s not for sale...

Steve

On 4/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, Casey said:

You have to look at Sold listings to see what actually...sold.. Here are the most recent, from highest selling price:

image.png.ebf802fb091692bea02348f7f90ff012.png

FOUR PIGS for a Modelhaus '67 Cougar? :blink: I've seen unbuillt original '67 and '68 Cougar kits go for less than half of that recently! 

2 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

Someone bought one of my 75 dollar 4dr Nova transkits and sold it on the bay for 300 bucks.  If the buyer knew my price I'm sure he would have bought it from me instead.

I'm not selling mine. I like it too much!

5 hours ago, Ramfins59 said:

There's a '57 Desoto Modelhaus resin kit on EBAY with a ridiculous price of $999......!!!!!!   The seller is just crazy asking that much.  

More power to him if someone ponies up that amount (it’s not happening!)  I’d be happy to sell my Modelhaus 58 Plymouth wagon for that!  But not a penny less! 😀

• 3 weeks later...

I bought 8(?) kits &/or transkits when they announced their closing with no thought of selling them. I then had a chance to buy any leftover stuff but figured I spent enough already even though they had some other kits I would like to have. After seeing these kits sell for so much I wish I had! I have only started 2 of their kits, both on th back burner for now. These are the 1st resin kits I’ve worked with with the exception of a somewhat clunky LFC Dodge trans kit that I purchased decades ago. (It remains mostly  unstarted. It took a real effort just to get the interior to fit into the cab & even then there will be fit issues with the frame 😕 )

Edited by #1 model citizen

I bought two kits at $100 each when they announced they were closing. Waited a year for them and struggled to decide how to build them. I sold one to a fellow modeler for what I paid for it because he is a good model friend who I knew would build it. The other one is still sitting on the shelf, but I think I know what I will finally do with it. 

I am sure what we are seeing on eBay is the result of someone who loaded up and is now cashing in. 

On 4/2/2021 at 6:35 PM, keyser said:

One vendor. Most others listed about 1/2-1/3 the idiotic prices. 
Same vendor lists everything as Modelhaus. Has couple Johan repop kits, few other castings that aren’t in same class listed the same. R&R at least one in the listings. 

If this is the same vendor, they also try to sell MCW kits for astronomical money, when you can just buy from MCW direct. That vendor also tries to sell “built” kits for $700. And they look horrible. Check out the foil on this 59 Ford... 

2D5EAD8F-7326-4930-9874-58172207D893.jpeg