Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Ford J Car Prototype

Today I am tackling the dreaded panel lines.  I am using tape to help guide me.  Since the final color will be white I am going to try and darken the panel lines before I paint the body white and see how that works.

20210409_080016.jpg.050da76ecaf5466c5d492cc83120e765.jpg

Yesterday I fabricated the periscope rear view mirror.  Once the panel lines are done the roof top mirror will be installed and I should be ready for paint.  I am old school so am using Tamiya spray cans.  I am also a believer that this era of race cars should not have a high gloss finish.

I removed the masking and I am not pleased with the way it came out.  I believe I am going to strip it down and start the paint process over again except I think it is now time to get out the old Badger airbrush and try again.  It will also give me a chance to work on those pesky panel lines again.   This is not intended to be a contest model but if I can see the problems so will others.

20210413_131740.jpg.3690901ab09cff7ebd512394ce272be7.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well I have not given up on the J Car.  I ran into paint problems and decided to strip the paint and start over.  Popped the body into the purple pond and nothing happened.  So I let it soak in brake fluid for several days and no visible signs of action.  So I resorted to scaping the paint off and that worked.  So I am back to body prep and trying the paint routine again.

20210530_080527.jpg.bea7465149838fa30ac2bf60ab99233a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...