Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell paint

I stopped in my local Hobbytown Friday,  they had the Revell paint stocked up in a shiny new rack.     I picked up a couple tins and a can of Steel acrylic spray bomb.   I'll give it the spoon test next time I get out the airbrush.   I wonder if it's relabeled Humbrol paint.     Can't wait to try it.

There was an article in one of the last issues of Scale Auto detailing the Revell paint line. Maybe the folks at MCM will do a similar story now that the magazine is back in production. They could also do an article about Tamiya's new line of paints as well.

11 hours ago, peteski said:

LOL, the thread you pointed to is from 2013!!  I think the Revell paints being discussed now are the "new" 2021 edition. Not relabeled Humbrol.

My apologies. I will do more research before trying to be helpful. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

My apologies. I will do more research before trying to be helpful. Thanks.

No problem.I was just amused that you brought up a really old thread when I remembered that Revel paints seem to be "new" again.  Here is the recent thread, but it doesn't really give any good info about the new paints.

46 minutes ago, peteski said:

No problem.I was just amused that you brought up a really old thread when I remembered that Revel paints seem to be "new" again.  Here is the recent thread, but it doesn't really give any good info about the new pain

That thread doesn't indicate who makes the paint for Revell since you say it's no longer relabeled Humbrol.  I'm curious. This is all new ground for me. I'm still using bottles of Floquil I bought 30+ yrs ago! LOL

39 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

I'm still using bottles of Floquil I bought 30+ yrs ago! LOL

Me too. Along with squirreled away Testors, and Accu-Paint I also use  other currently available "stinky" old-school type paints like Tru-Color paints, and Scalecoat II. FSM magazine recently had an article evaluating several new lacquer paints. I was not aware that some of those paint lines ever existed.  So yes, Testors is slowly disappearing, but other new lines of hobby paints are coming to the market.  And not just water-based paints. Those are all "stinky" paints.

I bought some of the revell paint recently and the stuff is REALLY thick seemed like a 50/50 MIX WAS STILL TO THICK TO SPRAY, but once got it thin enough to spray(used water) it sprayed GREAT,but in my gun it was REALLY hard to clean had to take apart and flush laq thinner through it good

Edited by bauercrew

Sounds like you are using water-based paints.   I thought the new Revell paints would be solvent-based. 

There seems to be a lot of confusion and speculation about Revell line of paint, and what's new and what's old.  While I have plenty of other paints to use, I am also curious about the those Revell paints.  Like someone mentioned earlier, it would be nice if some modeling magazine would do a review of all the Revell paints.

Revell enamel paints in little tin jars are not new, nor were they ever “relabelled” Humbrol. They have existed in Europe since I can remember, so 30 plus years for sure. They are only new to the US market it seems, but they have been around, tried and tested, for a long time now. I like them, they just need to be thinned down quite a bit. And so as to avoid confusion that I have come across elsewhere regarding this paint, “email” writing on them has nothing to do with electronic post, it simply means “enamel” in several European languages 😝 I have these... all same paint with different can designs over the years. Hope that helps.

A1D10445-BE2D-48D3-A726-C55D1D9C694C.thumb.jpeg.dac8cb9a6d0aa9a55920cca1f93058a6.jpeg

Edited by PowerPlant

3 hours ago, PowerPlant said:

Revell enamel paints in little tin jars are not new, nor were they ever “relabelled” Humbrol. They have existed in Europe since I can remember, so 30 plus years for sure. They are only new to the US market it seems, but they have been around, tried and tested, for a long time now. I like them, they just need to be thinned down quite a bit. And so as to avoid confusion that I have come across elsewhere regarding this paint, “email” writing on them has nothing to do with electronic post, it simply means “enamel” in several European languages 😝 I have these... all same paint with different can designs over the years. Hope that helps.

Thank you for taking the time to show us the difference. i've heard good things about these enamel paints from several European builders. I'm looking forward to trying them, if I can ever find some locally

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Thank you for taking the time to show us the difference. i've heard good things about these enamel paints from several European builders. I'm looking forward to trying them, if I can ever find some locally

No problem, glad I could help... They are not in order, but the blue and red paint colors are the newest, the ones on the right are older designs from the 90's. Just to be clear, Revell has introduced acrylic paints in plastic cubes a few years back, as well as a relatively new line of spray-can paint, but these tin-can enamels have been around literally forever. I mostly use them for engines, interiors and chassis, as they have nice satin/semi matt effects (SM-seidenmatt). But I cannot stress enough that they must be thoroughly thinned with a solvent such as clear turpentine, which is what I use.

Edited by PowerPlant