Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1956 Ford FD-100 Foose Truck*

This was my second build in 50+ years.  Yeah I'm older than dirt ☺.  Still trying to locate a windshield as mine was damaged so I have it temporally tacked in.  I learned a lot for my first time using an airbrush, craft paint, and Tamiya Clear.  I'm still a little impatient and making small mistakes here and there.  I cut some of the smaller chrome parts off the tree early on and put them in a sandwich bag and somewhere down the line the gas cap come up missing.  I made one out of what parts I had left over.  lesson learned.....leave everything on the tree until it's time to use it.  Body color is Ceramcoat Midnight Blue with a little black mixed in, Bumpers, running boards, wheels, door handles, and grille were painted with Testors flat Gun Metal, seat was painted with Tamiya Buff and Model Master Leather, Wired distributor by Model Roundup, I used Sharpie's for the small detailing.  All comments welcome.  Tell me what I need to improve on for my next build.       

20210407_091952.jpg

20210407_092050.jpg

20210407_092911.jpg

20210407_091847.jpg

20210407_092016.jpg

20210407_092808.jpg

20210407_091905.jpg

20210407_092033.jpg

20210407_092853.jpg

20210407_092911.jpg

DSC01767.JPG

DSC01775.JPG

DSC01768.JPG

DSC01765.JPG

DSC01773.JPG

Edited by Zippi

I enjoyed watching you put this one together. The gloss paint finish didn't turn out the way you wanted but like Tom mentioned it looks great on this one. Hope Revell come up with a windshield for you, if not just add a rock chip to the windshield maybe. 

Hi Bob,  I agree with Tom and David, paint may not have turned out as you hoped, but it suits the truck perfect. I really like it. Shame about the windshield... The gunmetal trim and wheels work well with the semi gloss paint. Well done! What’s next?

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for the comments fellows.  Steve....I'd like to find one of the Revell kits of the1964 Russ Davis ford thunderbolt or a 1966/67 Chevy Nova.  I think I'm going for a shiny finish next but I've got to get a handle on how to get this ceramcoat paint to shine or maybe I need to find something different.     

On 4/8/2021 at 3:57 AM, Zippi said:

Thanks for the comments fellows.  Steve....I'd like to find one of the Revell kits of the1964 Russ Davis ford thunderbolt or a 1966/67 Chevy Nova.  I think I'm going for a shiny finish next but I've got to get a handle on how to get this ceramcoat paint to shine or maybe I need to find something different.     

Well, as a GM guy, I would try to lean you to the Nova. Bahama blue with Tamiya lacquer for the clear?  I have very limited knowledge or experience with acrylic paint, so not sure what if anything went wrong there for you. Your first two have turned out great, especially considering the long hiatus... Look forward to your next project.

Cheers, Steve

9 hours ago, Steve H said:

Well, as a GM guy, I would try to lean you to the Nova. Bahama blue with Tamiya lacquer for the clear?  I have very limited knowledge or experience with acrylic paint, so not sure what if anything went wrong there for you. Your first two have turned out great, especially considering the long hiatus... Look forward to your next project.

Cheers, Steve

Steve,

I just bought 3 kits at Hobby Lobby yesterday as they had 40% off and one was the 1966 Chevy Nova.  That Bahama blue is an interesting color.  

20210409_093716.jpg.b29169c95154a46cb3aee479eb50137c (2).jpg

Nice job on the Foose Truck! I kind of like the satin finish, but I bet it would've really popped with a gloss. What Tamiya clear did you use? The TS-13 is gloss, while the TS-79 is semi-gloss and TS-80 is flat. I've really been wanting to try the TS-65 Pearl clear as well. Thinning the craft paint with Pledge should also give you a glossier finish, I've done that a few times myself. Trial and error and lots of practice and experimentation will be your best friend and best gauge of how to and not to do things for the best results. I have numerous NASCAR test bodies and white plastic spoons for my mad scientist tests, lol. 

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

Craig,

Thanks for the comment.  I used the Tamiya X-22 clear.  I thinned my Ceramcoat acrylic paint 50/50 with Windex.  I thinned the Tamiya clear with off the shelf thinner 50/50.  I went with the Tamiya clear from the advice I got online.  Going to try the Pledge Revive it next time.  I watch a couple online videos and the end results looks pretty good.  Do they sell the TS-13 gloss in the small bottles? 

20210330_091025.jpg

58 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Craig,

Thanks for the comment.  I used the Tamiya X-22 clear.  I thinned my Ceramcoat acrylic paint 50/50 with Windex.  I thinned the Tamiya clear with off the shelf thinner 50/50.  I went with the Tamiya clear from the advice I got online.  Going to try the Pledge Revive it next time.  I watch a couple online videos and the end results looks pretty good.  Do they sell the TS-13 gloss in the small bottles? 

It's funny, I've never actually used their acrylic clear, but I am surprised it would need to be thinned. I believe they do sell the TS-13 in small bottles, I think it's what's listed as LP-9, but I've only ever used the TS-13 Gloss Clear straight from the can in Tamiya's line. I also really like Testors' Gloss Clear 1261 and Wet Look Clear 1834, also straight from the can, but the first couple of coats over acrylics and craft paints have to be really light.

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

It looks great Bob! Isn’t that airbrush a wonderful thing?  Looks like you made short work of the learning process.

Thanks.  Yeah....didn't really take long to figure it out.  I just make sure to spray a test pattern prior to shooting the body to make sure it's not to much paint coming out.  I like spraying multiple times with a fine mist.  

Thanks again guys.  One thing I read a lot about Before I built my kit was the hood not fitting well.  I set my hood in place before I glued in the cross member that connects the fenders.  hood fit great.