Model Cars Magazine Forum

Olds Rallye 350

tuffone20

I was aked by a Plastikfreek to post some photos the Olds I'm using for my avatar. So here are a few photos of it. I finished this car about 10 years ago and had started it a lot longer ago then that :o It started out as the Jo-Han 1970 Olds 442 and I removed all of the 442 markings and used some Frad Caddy decals and wheels & rear wing from an Hurst Olds kit, really wish I had the right hood for the car at the time I built it.

I one of the photos you will see a chip in the paint on the roof :o that was done by a carelss employee at a hobby shop that I had it at one time.

Not the best photos, but I hope you all enjoy it.

100_9117.jpg

100_8903.jpg

100_9113.jpg

100_9116.jpg

100_8996.jpg

Fantastic Job on the Rallye Tuffone! :lol:

Hey what did you use to mask off the chrome on the wheels? I always mess that kind of stuff up.

Most of the Rallye wheels were aleady chrome in the kits, so what you could do, is spray the desired color, then just gently remove the excess colors when the paint dries.... I like to use a slightly damp toothpick tip, that way I'm less likely to burn through the chrome while rubbing....

Edited by Dragon7665

Thank You!------------------ :blink: .........That is a beautiful Rallye.......I've always been a big fan of the Cutlass, having owned a few of them here and there. That Johan 442 kit is a rare one to get ahold of.....I've been chasing down the 442 funnycar versions for years now, but it seems like the money tree is never big enough when I do find them.... :lol: ..........Once again, thank you for posting the pics......Beautiful Car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You!------------------ :) .........That is a beautiful Rallye.......I've always been a big fan of the Cutlass, having owned a few of them here and there. That Johan 442 kit is a rare one to get ahold of.....I've been chasing down the 442 funnycar versions for years now, but it seems like the money tree is never big enough when I do find them.... ;) ..........Once again, thank you for posting the pics......Beautiful Car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know that it was a rare kit, but that would explain why I haven't even another around. It's has some damage to the driver side upper A pillar.

Thanks for the kind words about the Rallye 350

• 2 weeks later...

What's goin' on...

Well Done!!!

In high school I had a (1:1) 1972 442 (WISH I NEVER SOLD IT!!!) For years now building that in 25th scale has been on the to-do list. I too have the 70 Olds Cutlass Jo Han kit. A fella (needless to say I guess) that has been to every Toledo NNL since the first one picked up a resin ram air hood, girll,and plated bumpers for this project(the wing had been removed prior to me getting that car). Also the older Crager SS/T rims and tires from the Glass Pack Corvette kit will be used. Back then the first thing I did was replaced the stock Rallys w/ some Cragers w/ fat Pro Trac's in the rear and the skinnies up front.

One of these years I'll get around to building that :lol: . I never knew there was a 72 442 in a kit. Man I'd like to get one of those or two!!! It's understandable why you want a second one.

Thanks, and I know how you feel about having one. Back in the 80's I had a pair of 71's a hard top & a conv. and when I think back now I just can't beleive I sold them!! I even one time passed up a deal to buy a 70 Ralleye 350 for $800! :lol: oh and then there was the time I could have picked up a 71 442 for $425 with a 455 in it! ;) Man the price we pay for starting a family!! I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Oh well I can have them all now in 1/25th scale!! Just need to find a few JoHan 70' Olds kits! So if anyone has any that you don't want a arm & leg for let me know :lol:

Thanks, and I know how you feel about having one. Back in the 80's I had a pair of 71's a hard top & a conv. and when I think back now I just can't beleive I sold them!! I even one time passed up a deal to buy a 70 Ralleye 350 for $800! :o oh and then there was the time I could have picked up a 71 442 for $425 with a 455 in it! :o Man the price we pay for starting a family!! I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Oh well I can have them all now in 1/25th scale!! Just need to find a few JoHan 70' Olds kits! So if anyone has any that you don't want a arm & leg for let me know :D

Hi, I'm a newbie, but love the site, I have a couple 70 442 kits. Would love to find the Johan 71 442 funnycar.. Anyone want to trade???

Thank You!------------------ B) .........That is a beautiful Rallye.......I've always been a big fan of the Cutlass, having owned a few of them here and there. That Johan 442 kit is a rare one to get ahold of.....I've been chasing down the 442 funnycar versions for years now, but it seems like the money tree is never big enough when I do find them.... :lol: ..........Once again, thank you for posting the pics......Beautiful Car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's an absolutely lovely build.

Is that kit rare?

I've built two years ago, bought two more this year from a hobby shop, and know where I can get three more at normal kit prices....

You just have to live in a country where nobody knows what an Oldsmobile is!