Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1966 Chevy Nova Pro Street (amt)*

Zippi

11 minutes ago, Rick L said:

Personally, I think 12,000 might be a little overkill. The Novus will take over pretty well. I stoped at 2000 on this 33.

D6298694-9821-46F2-BBAE-CA4DB4BCDAFD.jpeg

Nice looking coupe Rick.  Is that at 32?

“33” from Revell. One of the poorest designed models I’ve worked on. The roof, windshield and windows were a separate unit from the body???? It took a lot of bodywork to hide the seam. I also filled in the trunk line.

Edited by Rick L

Not to move away from the painting issues but I was noticing on the wheels which look nice murdered out that I would maybe think about drilling out the holes which it would make them look more realistic .... just my thoughts.  

On the paint I also like using the Tamiya line and I also use the Mr Hobby clear as well as the Tamiya clear and you can purchase the Mr Hobby clear from Amazon.

Edited by Metalmad

Seth,  I've seen the Mr Hobby products on ebay and Amazon.  I just prefer to buy locally that way if I need something it's just a 10 min trip to the hobby shop and if they don't have it in stock they can get it in the next day or two and no shipping cost. 

I pulled the Nova body and hood out of the drink (91% Isopropyl Alcohol) this morning.  I was worried it may loosen the glue on the hood scoop but all is good.  Like the test body I stripped the Nova same way.  It just requires a little sanding and a lite prime and it's ready to paint.  This solution doesn't seem to have any affect on the Rust-Oleum 2X primer but it doesn't matter.  

I primed the body in black this time as the grey looks a little light to me so maybe the black primer with darken the grey up a little.        

20210516_082325.jpg

20210516_082336.jpg

20210516_093643.jpg

Edited by Zippi

Well.....I feel like a salmon swimming up stream fellows, not making much headway.  I sprayed the Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey and it just didn't turn out very well.  Not sure what happened as I sprayed it the same way I've been spraying with the air pressure at 20 psi, mixed the paint 50/50 with lacquer thinner, weather was about the same and I'm now airbrushing in my makeshift spray booth.  Not only that, when I came out to the garage this morning I was checking out where I'm at on the Nova build and noticed the master cylinder is missing.  I have no idea when it may have came off.  I swept the floor and emptied the trash and no master cylinder.  I stripped the body once again, sanded it, cleaned it, and re-primed it.  All looks good at this point.  This painting has got me stumped. I can normally figure things out but man oh man.  I know a better environment for airbrushing would really help but that just isn't in the cards for me.  I think at this point there is no need to proceed forward as I feel I would just get the same bad results.  I have some work I need to do on my 1949 Chevy pickup 1:1 so maybe a good long break is what I need.           

20210518_075535.jpg

20210518_084607.jpg

2 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Whoa Bob, did you strip the red off the Nova???

I did strip the Red off the 65 Impala.  Once the clear leveled out and cured, it looked like the rattle can was spitting.  Just not having any luck with the paint.  

4 hours ago, Zippi said:

I did strip the Red off the 65 Impala.  Once the clear leveled out and cured, it looked like the rattle can was spitting.  Just not having any luck with the paint.  

I see now its the Impy, but it looked so good; well shoot.  I'm not having a great deal of luck with my '55.  I did manage to get the second color redone and now I'm  not satisfied with the 1st color.

I'm gonna post a couple of pics in my WIP later tbhis evening.

12 hours ago, Zippi said:

Well.....I feel like a salmon swimming up stream fellows, not making much headway.  I sprayed the Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey and it just didn't turn out very well.  Not sure what happened as I sprayed it the same way I've been spraying with the air pressure at 20 psi, mixed the paint 50/50 with lacquer thinner, weather was about the same and I'm now airbrushing in my makeshift spray booth.  Not only that, when I came out to the garage this morning I was checking out where I'm at on the Nova build and noticed the master cylinder is missing.  I have no idea when it may have came off.  I swept the floor and emptied the trash and no master cylinder.  I stripped the body once again, sanded it, cleaned it, and re-primed it.  All looks good at this point.  This painting has got me stumped. I can normally figure things out but man oh man.  I know a better environment for airbrushing would really help but that just isn't in the cards for me.  I think at this point there is no need to proceed forward as I feel I would just get the same bad results.        

20210518_084607.jpg

What I'd do at this point is just drive on and finish it off in that primer, which doesn't look bad at all. If your luck changes or your painting skills improve in the future, you can always go back and repaint it right over that primer. You've already murdered out the chrome so it will be a consistent look, and possibly a very cool one. Drive on! B)

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

What I'd do at this point is just drive on and finish it off in that primer, which doesn't look bad at all. If your luck changes or your painting skills improve in the future, you can always go back and repaint it right over that primer. You've already murdered out the chrome so it will be a consistent look, and possibly a very cool one. Drive on! B)

Thanks Snake.  I'll take that into consideration.

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks Snake.  I'll take that into consideration.

Well....after adjusting the tie rods this morning on my 1:1 1949 Chevy pickup I kept thinking about my paint issue. I checked my notes and one thing that was always consistent was the primer.  So, I thought why not try the Rust-Oleum top coat and see what happens since the Rush-Oleum primer seems to lay down really well.  I made a trip to the local Rural King and bought a can of Winter Gray Gloss and sprayed this over the Rust-Oleum black primer and I've gotta say it looks pretty good and I haven't sprayed the Clear Gloss yet.  I still have my 65 Impala test body in primer so I'll continue to work with spaying the craft and Tamyia acrylic paints.    

20210519_110513.jpg

20210519_134223.jpg

20210519_134727.jpg

20210519_134743.jpg

Looks good my friend.  I know you have soured on craft paint but I wish you would consider trying the  Anita's (Rusto product) craft paint.  Not sure if you know about spraying the paint and almost immediately using the hair dryer to level it. I does work.

20 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Looks good my friend.  I know you have soured on craft paint but I wish you would consider trying the  Anita's (Rusto product) craft paint.  Not sure if you know about spraying the paint and almost immediately using the hair dryer to level it. I does work.

Mike, I did try the Anita's gloss black and red.  I still have some left along with the Tamiya acrylic paint as well.  I'll still be doing some airbrushing test on the Impala body.  Ill get it figured out its just taking longer than I thought it would.

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

Mike, I did try the Anita's gloss black and red.  I still have some left along with the Tamiya acrylic paint as well.  I'll still be doing some airbrushing test on the Impala body.  Ill get it figured out its just taking longer than I thought it would.

I'm probably wrong in saying this (and this will likely be disputed by some), but I'm not really sure one can really achieve the same results with acrylic (model or craft) that you can with lacquers and enamels. Again, I just love the easy cleanup.

18 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I'm probably wrong in saying this (and this will likely be disputed by some), but I'm not really sure one can really achieve the same results with acrylic (model or craft) that you can with lacquers and enamels. Again, I just love the easy cleanup.

Yup.  I also like the ease of cleanup with the acrylic paints.  That's why I started with acrylics. The lacquer sure looks so much better though.

After letting the Rust-Oleum Winter Gray dry for about 25 hrs I just sprayed the Rust-Oleum Clear Gloss on the body about 15 min ago.  Has a little orange peel but everything looks uniform and the best to date so far.  I'll probably let this cure until Monday and see how it looks.  Not sure if I'll we sand or just polish it.  The last couple times I wet sanded I went a little to much and burnt through one of the edges.     

20210520_122100.jpg

20210520_122111.jpg

I did go back after about 3 hrs and spray 2 more WET coats of the clear gloss.  It looks wet and much better now.  I thought it was going to run on me so I kept rotating the body for about 5 min.  It finally settled down and leveled out.      

20210520_144730.jpg

20210520_144737.jpg

20210520_144746.jpg