Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm looking to trade for a complete LS7 engine or a complete kit with an LS7 engine. I have lots to trade. Let me k on what you need.

Later-

I presume you are after a modern LS7 based on the modern LS series engine...but there was a LS7 before that wich was a version of the 454 big block.

5 hours ago, Force said:

I presume you are after a modern LS7 based on the modern LS series engine...but there was a LS7 before that wich was a version of the 454 big block.

I did not know that. I was looking for the modern LS7. Here is what I'd like to shoot for.

Later-

Screenshot_20210422-040348_Chrome.jpg

There ar not to manny kits with the LS7 since there were not many cars equipped with it.

But any LS based engine have the same external design and what you would typically see in difference is the intake which most people switch out or replace between different LS based engines of the same era. Otherwise they look the “same” from 1997 corvette to today. Full-size truck engines have a totally different intake than others and also have a Steel “LS” block. 

Most common kit with LS engine would be any of the newer Camaro or corvette kits or SSR that have the LS2, same generation IV engine as the LS7. SSR is probably  good donor since it has a conventional transmission as do the Camaros, corvette have transaxle.

hope it helps so you can get more options 🙂

6 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

There ar not to manny kits with the LS7 since there were not many cars equipped with it.

But any LS based engine have the same external design and what you would typically see in difference is the intake which most people switch out or replace between different LS based engines of the same era. Otherwise they look the “same” from 1997 corvette to today. Full-size truck engines have a totally different intake than others and also have a Steel “LS” block. 

Most common kit with LS engine would be any of the newer Camaro or corvette kits or SSR that have the LS2, same generation IV engine as the LS7. SSR is probably  good donor since it has a conventional transmission as do the Camaros, corvette have transaxle.

hope it helps so you can get more options 🙂

Thanks for that info. Very helpful! Now to find an SSR or 2014-15 Camaro.

Anybody?

Later-

I noticed afterwards that the revell issue of the SSR comes with a Vortec intake as the trucks have and not a LS2 intake. Se image.

image.png.a23c1cc2b6ed8dab898029a2d95a35c1.png

Edited by Mattilacken
20 minutes ago, Mattilacken said:

I have almost what you are looking for but shipping is a pita to the US. 

I understand completely. I appreciate the info though. If I don't get any bites soon I may just go the eBay route.

Later-

Have you tried Icemancollections? I guess that's right...... He is a member here and on social media. He 3D prints files from other people i believe. He offers a bunch of modern engines, he may have an LS7.........

This one you mean? https://www.ebay.com/itm/362868627264?hash=item547ca7d740:g:iN0AAOSwsgdeDNGB

looks better than the Revell engines in my opinion. I could send a ‘99 truck engine with transmission and a ls6 intake. I have LS6 engines out of the C5 Z06 but I noticed that no one of them engines have belts or pulleys. 

The LS is a great engine but so ugly they have to hide it under a bunch of plastic covers like they do in the original cars. :rolleyes:
I wonder why they can't design a good engine that looks nice nowadays, Chip Foose said one time that the engine is "a jewel in a jewel box and should look good when you open the hood".

Edited by Force
4 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Have you tried Icemancollections? I guess that's right...... He is a member here and on social media. He 3D prints files from other people i believe. He offers a bunch of modern engines, he may have an LS7.........

Thanks for the info. His stuff looks great and I'm sure it is worth the money but for that price I would prefer to get a newer Camaro kit and build the remainder as a curbside.

Later-

4 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Thanks for the info. His stuff looks great and I'm sure it is worth the money but for that price I would prefer to get a newer Camaro kit and build the remainder as a curbside.

Later-

As regards a modern LS7, there is no 1/25 kit of a 2014-2015 Z/28, only a transkit from Plamoz that is well over $100.  The Gen 6 Camaros and C7 Corvettes use a LT1 engine (3rd use of that designation) which is a refinement of the LS engine, but different plenum (plus 1:1 is direct injection).  The Revell 2010 Camaro has a good LS engine (LS3).  But the biggest concern is what type of intake you are seeking for your project.  The Revell ZL1 Camaro uses an LSA which is supercharged but a less detailed engine.  The Corvette kits are all transaxles and, I believe, all dry sump versus wet sump.  The SSR and 99 Silverado Vortec engines are LS based (real ones iron versus aluminum) and different intake.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, Mattilacken said:

I noticed afterwards that the revell issue of the SSR comes with a Vortec intake as the trucks have and not a LS2 intake. Se image.

image.png.a23c1cc2b6ed8dab898029a2d95a35c1.png

Nicely detailed engine. Just enough dark wash to show off the features.

Thanks Fellas for the help. Due to the difficulty of finding one I think I'm going with a twin turbo 396. Never done any turbos before so I'll be pouring through a lot of photos on how they are plumbed. Any body got any decent diagrams?

Later-

Posted (edited)

I don’t have any diagrams that google can’t supply you with. Basic principles, exhaust from engine  to exhaust housing inlet with is the one coming out to the side on the back part. Exhaust outlet in the center rear. Air inlet in the front part center and outlet on the front side. From there to the engine intake, either direct or first through a intercooler. Then the turbo needs a pressure oil feed to the top from the engine, for example from the place where the oil pressure sender sits on top of the engine. And then a bigger gravity oil return to the oil pan.

then you have two safety valves one on the exhaust which is the waste gate that regulates the exhaust pressure and how much exhaust gas goes to the turbo. These are either internally, most oem turbos, or external, aftermarket turbos both by pas the turbo to regulate the boost.

then you have the blowoff valve on the cold side which regulates boost pressure, for example gear shift makes the vacuum drop and makes the blowoff valve to let bost out. 

image.thumb.png.018dac1f4a104f433aeae4ddc539fe30.png

https://drivermod.ca/2017/02/20/turbocharging-for-dummies/

Edited by Mattilacken
4 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Anton,

Thank you SO much for that great explanation! I have seen diagrams before and looked at a ton of pics but your description was extremely helpful in understanding how it all works. I think with your diagram and description I feel more confident about building a twin turbo set up. Thanks again!

Later-

5 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Anton,

Thank you SO much for that great explanation! I have seen diagrams before and looked at a ton of pics but your description was extremely helpful in understanding how it all works. I think with your diagram and description I feel more confident about building a twin turbo set up. Thanks again!

Later-

I am glad I could help 🙂 looking forward to seeing the build, please send me a pm with the link to the thread when you start it 🙂

9 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

I am glad I could help 🙂 looking forward to seeing the build, please send me a pm with the link to the thread when you start it 🙂

Here is the link to where I'm at so far. I didn't think it would be so difficult to find a good LS motor. Plans have changed to a twin turbo 396. Got stalled a bit while I finished my Revell Chopper.

Later-

On 4/30/2021 at 10:16 AM, Modlbldr said:

Thanks for that info. Very helpful! Now to find an SSR or 2014-15 Camaro.

Anybody?

Later-

I'd pick up the AMT ZL-1 Camaro kit it's got a nice engine and manual trans. But in my opinion ZO-6 C-7 Corvette is the best LS engine that is available the best looking and detail, not to mention the supercharger, and using a razor saw to remove the kit clutch housing from the block and any of the Chevrolet bellhousing/transmission combinations will fit the block but I think that the Mustang GT 500OR kit from Revell has the best transmission but you can find a nice six speed manual that the only thing that the engine isn't as in demand in the general population (but I have a couple of gen II Corvettes that need that complete package, six speed and original SBC) that is available in the '93-'95 Camaro/Firebird kits from AMT. But remember, this bellhousing and tranny go right on back of the late LS series engines, just a tip but after carefully sawing the engine and trans apart I like to use liquid glue to glue a piece of .020 plastic on the front of it and trim and file it to match. This will put back the material removed by the saw if you put a good amount of the liquid glue so there won't be a visible separation line.

5 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Thanks for the info.

Is this the C7 kit you're talking about?

https://images.app.goo.gl/N6sMjbGQNS1aE6PW9

Later-

That car is a racer and engine is not a street version.  The C7 Revell street version has an LT engine.  The ZR1 C^ Corvette has a nice engine with supercharger.

image.jpeg.9e55d58b8dfa705b13ca9bb17eb08019.jpeg

The Revell 2006 Z06 engine has an LS7, normally aspirated

Photo: Revell Corvette C6 Z06 box art | REVELL 2006 Corvette Z06 #85-2015  album | DRASTIC PLASTICS MODEL CAR CLUB | Fotki.com, photo and video  sharing made easy.

Both have transaxles, so you would have to adapt a bell housing/transmission to either.

The Revell ZL1 Camaro has a simplified LSA engine (supercharger) but with attached tranny (automatic)

image.jpeg.08c8580791b823ee39e1f6bfe0a2092a.jpeg

The Revell 2010 Camaro has a LS3 engine with attached tranny that is nicely detailed

image.jpeg.8b369b8abcf878d82293e9880ad05986.jpeg

The Revell Silverado or SSR has the Vortec LS with different intake (1:1 is cast iron vs aluminum)

The Revell 2002 Camaro SS has an LS1 engine with attached tranny (their C5 Corvettes have LS1 with transaxle)

35th Anniversary Camaro SS, Revell 85-2380 (2002)

The AMT Gen5 Camaros are curbside, no engine.  The AMT Gen 6 Camaros have LT1 engines (3rd iteration of LT1 designation) that have different intake manifolds/fuel lines (1:1 is direct port injection).