Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Portable Spray Booth*

I've been airbrushing my models outside my garage door and the results or iffy at best.  Without having a better controlled environment I can't really tell what's happening from the test I've been doing.  I did a search on this site but it doesn't seem to work very well.  I may be looking into a portable spray booth down the road.  I can't leave it up all the time so I'll need something once I'm finished airbrushing that I can break down and stow away.  There are ton's of these booths online for sale from $50 to $350 and I've read a lot of reviews about the fans not being strong enough, poor lighting with none replaceable lights, etc.  Any suggestions/advise on brand, size, etc. from someone who owns and uses one of these spray booths would be appreciated.   

Edited by Zippi

I have greatly interest in this as well. I used to just spray in the hallway holding the model with a glove and had dist in my models. if i got one dust free spray i would leave it at that. I recently bought a big Tupperware box from target that has a snap lid and it works great for keeping the dust out, but it has no exhaust. so im left spraying next to the open window and doors with the fan on to direct the spray outside. Not healthy im sure. 

4 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

8CFEF25E-187B-4E47-B508-7D4F49719E68.thumb.jpeg.afd5dad68897de020c764973a59c1160.jpeg

Last September I bought the low end Pace spray booth. It’s strong enough to use with spray cans. I’m very pleased with it.   About $250 delivered.

Ductwork was extra 

Does it have a cover or something to keep dust and cat hair from falling on the model when its drying?

No matter how much vacuuming we do, there is always something landing in my wet paint

Edited by youpey

6 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I am not speaking from direct experience but only what i have researched. these booths, which are also available on Amazon, do not have a sealed motor. If i remember correctly, they have a brushed motor, which can and does spark. 

From what i have read, the sparks can cause the paint to ignite if its flammable paint. 

Again I have not direct experience  just previously seen research 

1 hour ago, youpey said:

I am not speaking from direct experience but only what i have researched. these booths, which are also available on Amazon, do not have a sealed motor. If i remember correctly, they have a brushed motor, which can and does spark. 

From what i have read, the sparks can cause the paint to ignite if its flammable paint. 

Again I have not direct experience  just previously seen research 

I hear ya dude.  I haven't ready anything about any of these spray booths catching fire or anything else but I haven't been looking for it either.  I just airbrush acrylic paints so I guess I'm good to go for now I guess.  

Edited by Zippi

I have one. It's ok. It does take the paint mist out. But of course you're always going to get that spay paint smell as the model dies. I've never use acrylics so I don't know if they smell. And the filters are kind of difficult to find. I do soak the filters in purple power so I can reuse them. 

5 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I have one. It's ok. It does take the paint mist out. But of course you're always going to get that spay paint smell as the model dies. I've never use acrylics so I don't know if they smell. And the filters are kind of difficult to find. I do soak the filters in purple power so I can reuse them. 

Thanks for your input David.  The acrylic paint has no smell that I have noticed.  That's what I like about them.  

You have mentioned in previous posts that you sometime use enamels such as Rust-Oleum. They can be flammable. I can’t  vouch for the others but the electronics of the Pace motor is not exposed to the exhaust and works well for me. 

I don't have pics, but my I use my dad's. He bought a large plastic bin, cut a hole in the back and attached an explosion proof fan. Works perfectly.

I'm going to make something similar using foamcore board. Cheap, strong enough for a paint booth, can make it any size/shape I want, can add all kinds of lighting. Add a fan and a furnace filter in the back, and good to go.

1 minute ago, Rick L said:

You have mentioned in previous posts that you sometime use enamels such as Rust-Oleum. They can be flammable. I can’t  vouch for the others but the electronics of the Pace motor is not exposed to the exhaust and works well for me. 

I do use the Gloss Rust-Oleum (rattle can) and it gets sprayed outside only.  

1 minute ago, iamsuperdan said:

I don't have pics, but my I use my dad's. He bought a large plastic bin, cut a hole in the back and attached an explosion proof fan. Works perfectly.

I'm going to make something similar using foamcore board. Cheap, strong enough for a paint booth, can make it any size/shape I want, can add all kinds of lighting. Add a fan and a furnace filter in the back, and good to go.

Dan.  That's sounds great.  I like the ones you can buy as they close up like a suitcase and I can stow it away when not using.  

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

It looks like the same one offered by Micro Mark but be careful. Wish.com had a spotty reputation at best and outright fraudulent at worst.

I recommend researching them before buying anything from them.

David G. 

11 minutes ago, David G. said:

It looks like the same one offered by Micro Mark but be careful. Wish.com had a spotty reputation at best and outright fraudulent at worst.

I recommend researching them before buying anything from them.

David G. 

Aye-aye captain ☺  Just checking out the option right now.

Edited by Zippi

5 hours ago, Zippi said:

Mine doesn't have lights but I have to wonder if the paint coats them after a while. 

I have one like David G’s that I got from Amazon. It can pull out fumes and dust from a rattle can and is big enough the fit a 1/48 F-4 Phantom inside. My only complaint is that the fan is pretty loud. One of these days I’m going to do a Tim Allen on it and strap a super-quiet bathroom fan onto it.

For filters, I buy cut to size filter material from the hardware store. Cheaper and easier than trying to track down the right size filter for the box.

I also purchased a unit just like David G's at a local hobby shop. I have had it for several years and would think it would be something that would work for you. While some of the booth parts a made of plastic, they do fold down for storage.  What ever you use be sure that the unit is well vented to the outside and change the filter often. Beyond that I haven't had any issues with my unit in years. You will want to setup some sort of additional lighting depending on where you use it. 

Here's the worlds most 'Rube Goldberg' spray booth. I work in my garage and improvised this booth consists of a carboard box, a plastic funnel (with most of the small part cut off) and small vacuum cleaner to suck up the mist.  It works. For awhile and and when it gets clogged up and gunked up, I tear it apart and start with a new box (shown here). With some scraping of overspray and a cleaning of the vacuum cleaner filter and I tape it together and start again. It's marginally better than getting everything in the garage covered with a fine coat of overspray.... -RRR

spray.jpg

43 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Where are all the lids to your rattle cans dude?

I was wondering the same thing LOL....

My spray booth is 2 plastic totes glued together with a filter and vent out the back of the bottom tote. I have a bilge fan hooked on it and vent it out the window.

If I would have mounted some stuff differently it could definitely be portable.

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg