Model Cars Magazine Forum

Doug's Headers AWB '65 Chevy 2 Much

magicmustang

Been wanting to do this for years. Found decals from Freemont Racing Specialties. Body and engine are from AMT AWB Rat Packer Chevy II kit. Wheels, chassis and interior are from the AMT AWB Mustang GT kit. Threepoint rollbar, injectors, radiator and headers are from the parts box. Paint is Testors rattlecan laquer Fiery Orange. I know the real car was a sedan but I already had the coupe body.  

Doug's headers Chey II AWB May 2021.JPG

Doug's headers Chevy II AWB May 2021 engine.JPG

Doug's Headers engine.jpg

doug's headers wheelstand.jpg

Edited by magicmustang
  • Like 1

• magicmustang changed the title to Doug's Headers AWB '65 Chevy 2 Much

I love it! One of the best best builds using this AWB Chevy II kit that I’ve seen, especially that side shot, it all just look’s “right”, nice job! I have been holding off paying thru the nose for the less-than-perfect AMT rat pack kit hoping Moebius might still release the SWB sedan or coupe kit (a gasser?). 

I think this car might still be in the NHRA Motor Sports Museum collection in Pomona, CA. This museum officially re-opened on May 1 (reservations required) and I highly recommend a visit to all drag racing modelers here. Amazing historic original drag cars, photos, memorabilia.

7 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

I love it! One of the best best builds using this AWB Chevy II kit that I’ve seen, especially that side shot, it all just look’s “right”, nice job! I have been holding off paying thru the nose for the less-than-perfect AMT rat pack kit hoping Moebius might still release the SWB sedan or coupe kit (a gasser?). 

I think this car might still be in the NHRA Motor Sports Museum collection in Pomona, CA. This museum officially re-opened on May 1 (reservations required) and I highly recommend a visit to all drag racing modelers here. Amazing historic original drag cars, photos, memorabilia.

Thank you sir, the decals really helped to complete the look and there are a bunch of pics of the original on the Fotki site. I believe the car in the museum was the replica build as the original was wrecked after it was sold in '66 or '67.

Edited by magicmustang

1 hour ago, Nitrobarry said:

Thumbs up on this one!

I agree! Very nice! 

2 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

I have been holding off paying thru the nose for the less-than-perfect AMT rat pack kit hoping Moebius might still release the SWB sedan or coupe kit (a gasser?). 

If you want to build the Doug's car, you won't be able to do it from either Mobius kit. One's a hardtop and the 2DS is a '65, which has a different roof from the more common '62-'64s. :( And of course neither will have the altered wheelbase. 

All hope is not lost, however. MCW has a '63 2DS body that looks just about perfect for the Doug's car. 

https://mcwfinishes.com/shop/ols/products/1963-chevrolet-ii-2dr-sedan-funny-car

11 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Very nice.  Were you at least tempted to convert it to a sedan with some scratch built door posts?

Thank you.

Yes, I thought about it, but in order to make it right, I would also have to put an edging around the upper inner window frames and widen the rear posts. Would have been beyond my patience level (I have plenty of projects that are back in their box, dying a slow death on the "Shelf of Doom").     

Edited by magicmustang

1 hour ago, Scott8950 said:

Very nicely done.. Someone makes a awb post top chevy ll I'm just not sure who. I got mine in a trade and the guy had no info. 

Thanks, Snake says Model Car World makes one (AWB '63 Chevy II sedan).

Edited by magicmustang

• 2 weeks later...

If you'd like to see some of these old-school Novas tearing up the strip again, Watch Street Outlaws America's List on Discovery Channel, Monday nights. They pitting 20 of America's fastest, baddest "street" cars against each other, heads-up, and there are two 1G Novas on the list--and two '66-'67s, too. Very most way extremely cool! 

• 3 weeks later...