Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bobby Unser dies

TonyK

Calm down. Yes, I used the word "shocked" because people such as Bobby Unser were a big part of my auto racing past as a fan. Then after they retire you don't hear much about them and we go on our merry way and remember them occasionally and hope they're living a good life and one day we read they have died. It's a part of life and I'm glad he lived to 87 but it still shocks me when it happens.

I knew Bobby (and the whole family) for years back in the days I was an official of the Pikes Peak International Auto Hill Climb. Quite the guy, quite a personality! Always had time . . . plenty of time . . . to visit. Some legendary stories about Bobby and the clan.

I haven't seen Bobby in many, many years, but sad to hear of his passing. He's one of those guys you just didn't imagine something as -ordinary- as passing away would ever happen to. He was always larger than life and it seemed he'd live forever.

RIP, Bobby.

🌵😔

Time has a way with catching up with people. Sad when we are reminded of this, but still prompts memories of happy old times.

Back when I was in Albuquerque in the late '80s / early '90s, I worked at one of the offsite airport parking lots, and the Unsers parked their cars there whenever they went flying off somewhere. Brother Al never said much, Bobby was much more talkative. On one occasion, Bobby drove in with a new Cadillac (I forget what type) when GM had only recently began outfitting them with the new Northstar engines. Since I had him in my shuttle van all by himself, I noted how junky Cadillacs were just a few years earlier and then asked him what his impression was of the new Northstars. From the parking lot all the way to his airline outside entrance check-in, he gave me his full review about how much of a vast improvement his car and the engine was. Wish I had been able to tape record that!