Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 956 Joest Racing (Le Mans winner 1984)

When the factory cars DNF in 1984, the private teams took the laurels for Porsche: Tamiya's kit built out-of-the-box in 1987 or 88. Don't ask me why, but the engine cover wouldn't sit right where it should (my fault, maybe) - otherwise: a typical Tamiya kit:

P1010262.JPG.05f4d79e667a8bbb1157672849892758.JPG

P1010259.JPG.3d8a5c4a9ef40496419bf021ca262c8f.JPG

P1010258.JPG.bca90f2c802be126ab886385129a145f.JPG

P1010260.JPG.93b597e5a15faaeec2b3ceb78ab85cbd.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 1:40 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

Sweet job Helmut,  that three tone paint job couldn't have been an easy trick. You pulled it off nicely. 

Thanks, Rich - the narrow white stripe across the engine cover is a decal, the rest had to be masked.

5 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Super nice!

Thank you, Larry!

4 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thanks, Chris!

4 hours ago, TonyK said:

Great looking model! I have this still in the box because that paint scheme looked like work.

Thanks Tony - it is a bit work, but not too much!

On 6/10/2021 at 8:23 PM, Gramps46 said:

Very well done and gives the rest of us encouragement to give it a go.

Thank you Gary - I used several decals from a second sheet and applied them over the first (they were not very opaque) - especially the "Pierlant Imperial" let the yellow (!) paint shine through.

On 6/12/2021 at 6:23 AM, slusher said:

Looks great, well done!

Thank you, Carl !

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Your Porsche looks great. You have encouraged me to get mine one out of the stash and give it a go.

Thank you, Albert - don't hesitate - just start it (we all are hoarding and collecting way too many kits instead of building them...)

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 5:39 PM, Venom said:

I really like the look of this race car... the paint and decals must have taken some patience and skill... Nice work.

Thank you Josh - but the paint is not very good - you still can see the edges of the masking tape.

3 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Thank you Josh - but the paint is not very good - you still can see the edges of the masking tape.

Helmut, it is not always the paint or anything else in particular that makes or breaks a model’s appearance. This is even true sometimes on real cars. There is a totally original ‘68 Charger in my town that’s green with a white stripe around the back and you can see all the spidery little crackles in the paint of the stripe. The car’s body has small dings and dents along the sides, but it is one of the coolest Chargers I have ever seen and I think they would ruin it if they were to restore the paint. That being said, some cars just have “the look” and I believe it applies with model cars as well, and your model is one of those cars for me.👍

16 hours ago, Venom said:

Helmut, it is not always the paint or anything else in particular that makes or breaks a model’s appearance. This is even true sometimes on real cars. There is a totally original ‘68 Charger in my town that’s green with a white stripe around the back and you can see all the spidery little crackles in the paint of the stripe. The car’s body has small dings and dents along the sides, but it is one of the coolest Chargers I have ever seen and I think they would ruin it if they were to restore the paint. That being said, some cars just have “the look” and I believe it applies with model cars as well, and your model is one of those cars for me.👍

Thank you for the compliments, Josh !

11 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Most excellent! That came out really nice. Also is one of my favorite racing liveries.

Thank you Mike (I'm certainly aware of all the shortcomings and/or mistakes in all of my builds).