Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford 3 litre GT prototype

Don't usually build 1/32 but found this kit at an estate sale of a fellow modeler. Was always fascinated by this car and this kit provided me with some unknown history.  The car was built in the Alan Mann shops in 1967 for the 68 season. It utilized the highly successful Ford DFV 3 litre gran prix engine.  Due to its aerodynamic shape  and light weight the car was very fast but unfortunately unreliable.  The project was dropped at the end of 1968.  Model is painted with Humbrol #19 red. The rest of the modifications are in the captions under the pictures. Thanks for looking and comments welcome. 

DSC07317.JPG.fd7b370ad21f912549e1a5b4026640b3.JPG

Making the wheels steer was a priority. It looked easy enough but wasn't. The suspension was very fragile. 

DSC07318.JPG.3a396b7af25786c8de85c44f2b4a7688.JPG

Rear veiw of the car shows off it aerodynamic shape. No engine detail other than the rear deck with the molded in carb covers. This was a simple kit. 

DSC07319.JPG.ec044225dfd8cba918c40238bcd14ff7.JPG

The body was molded in two halves...top and bottom.  I cut the front, rear and sides away from the bottom and glued them to the top. Purpose was to be able to fill in the seams and make a nice smooth body. It also caused some interior fitting problems but all were solved. Wheels are painted Alclad polished aluminium with Humbrol #19 on the spokes. I liked the way Humbrol sprayed but it took some time to dry.  Gold is kit decal. 

2 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Don't usually build 1/32 but found this kit at an estate sale of a fellow modeler. Was always fascinated by this car and this kit provided me with some unknown history.  The car was built in the Alan Mann shops in 1967 for the 68 season. It utilized the highly successful Ford DFV 3 litre gran prix engine.  Due to its aerodynamic shape  and light weight the car was very fast but unfortunately unreliable.  The project was dropped at the end of 1968.  Model is painted with Humbrol #19 red. The rest of the modifications are in the captions under the pictures. Thanks for looking and comments welcome. 

DSC07317.JPG.fd7b370ad21f912549e1a5b4026640b3.JPG

Making the wheels steer was a priority. It looked easy enough but wasn't. The suspension was very fragile. 

DSC07318.JPG.3a396b7af25786c8de85c44f2b4a7688.JPG

Rear veiw of the car shows off it aerodynamic shape. No engine detail other than the rear deck with the molded in carb covers. This was a simple kit. 

DSC07319.JPG.ec044225dfd8cba918c40238bcd14ff7.JPG

The body was molded in two halves...top and bottom.  I cut the front, rear and sides away from the bottom and glued them to the top. Purpose was to be able to fill in the seams and make a nice smooth body. It also caused some interior fitting problems but all were solved. Wheels are painted Alclad polished aluminium with Humbrol #19 on the spokes. I liked the way Humbrol sprayed but it took some time to dry.  Gold is kit decal. 

Very nice model, Rich - I had this one also, but sold it when I could buy a 1/24 version. I can't remember if mine had any decals at all. I even have a book about this car !

34 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice model, Rich - I had this one also, but sold it when I could buy a 1/24 version. I can't remember if mine had any decals at all. I even have a book about this car !

Helmut....who makes your 1/24 version. I have maybe 2-3 1/32 pieces in my entire. collection and would have much preferred this to be 1/24. This model was part of a fellow modelers collection so I took it  and built it  in   honor of him since he passed away only recently. Thank you for the compliment BTW. 

10 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Helmut....who makes your 1/24 version. I have maybe 2-3 1/32 pieces in my entire. collection and would have much preferred this to be 1/24. This model was part of a fellow modelers collection so I took it  and built it  in   honor of him since he passed away only recently. Thank you for the compliment BTW. 

Rich, there are expensve resin kits available from Profile 24 and Model Factory Hiro in 1/24.

A few years ago, I could buy from ebay Italy an old built-up of a rare kit (see here: 

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...