Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Braided Fishing Line


Recommended Posts

My late friend, Mark Brown always suggested braided fishing line as braided line on scale models. I hadn't found the stuff I knew he was talking about, until just the other day, while looking for something flexible, to make braided lines to the calipers on my supermodified. This stuff is lead core, and is about .040". It's made by Tuf Line in Grand Junction, CO. I colored these two sections with A: (Closest to the end) silver Sharpie and B: Molotow Chrome pen. I deliberately cropped the photo large, so the detail shows up better. The other photo shows the lead core, which has been somewhat imprinted by the braid. Now, I really understand what Mark was talking about! I am currently searching for other diameters.

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, lucky 130 said:

You can find braided fishing line in several diameters, at Walmart. It is called Spider line, braided, as they make several types. The entire fishing line area can be a detail builders candy shop, been using is for years.  

I bought some Spider Wire. It doesn't look the same as this. It's slicker looking, and lacks the definition of the braid, to my eye. But, yes, there's a lot of fishing gear that can be very useful.

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

Theres a lot of stuff from fishing that can be used on models. Especially from the specialist fly fishing shops that cater to the guys that build custom flies.

I have a bunch of spools of lead free wire in several diameters that I bought from a fly tying outfit!

 

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

That looks pretty good Daniel.  Did you find it locally or have to order it online?

I found this spool in Walmart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

I bought some Spider Wire. It doesn't look the same as this. It's slicker looking, and lacks the definition of the braid, to my eye. But, yes, there's a lot of fishing gear that can be very useful.

I have a bunch of spools of lead free wire in several diameters that I bought from a fly tying outfit!

 

I found this spool in Walmart.

Thanks.  I'll take a look next time I'm there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While the fishing stuff looks ok, if one really pays attentions to scale fidelity, the angle of the braiding is wrong for scaled down braided lines. 
The only scale braided line I know that has the most realistic appearance is from Pro-Tech.  Those really look like scaled down braided lines.  Sure, they cost more, but to me couple more bucks spend on a model to make it look really good is worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, peteski said:

While the fishing stuff looks ok, if one really pays attentions to scale fidelity, the angle of the braiding is wrong for scaled down braided lines. 
The only scale braided line I know that has the most realistic appearance is from Pro-Tech.  Those really look like scaled down braided lines.  Sure, they cost more, but to me couple more bucks spend on a model to make it look really good is worth it.

Not everybody has funds to buy aftermarket stuff you know this way is easier for other people to do it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, peteski said:

While the fishing stuff looks ok, if one really pays attentions to scale fidelity, the angle of the braiding is wrong for scaled down braided lines. 
The only scale braided line I know that has the most realistic appearance is from Pro-Tech.  Those really look like scaled down braided lines.  Sure, they cost more, but to me couple more bucks spend on a model to make it look really good is worth it.

None of the packaged braided lines appear to be in scale, to me. That was always Mark's feeling, as well. That's the only reason I started really looking at the braided fishing line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Zippi said:

What weight line should a fellow be looking for?

I hope to be better equipped to answer that, soon. The first spool I bought (pictured above) was at Walmart. I have one I ordered, arriving soon. I don't recall,  off the top of my head, exactly what it is, but, I ordered it, because it is a smaller diameter. I will report back, once I have it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/8/2021 at 11:17 AM, ACR-E Doug said:

Any chance you have a part number on the package, I looked up Tuf Line and there are a ton of products so I wasn't sure which one was yours.

I can't find definitive a part number (maybe LC18100), but it's their 18# test lead core trolling line, multicolored.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I can't find definitive a part number (maybe LC18100), but it's their 18# test lead core trolling line, multicolored.

Daniel there should be a diameter of the line on the spool someplace. I think you said it was around .040 diameter. What was the test weight of the line. It normally has line test weight and the diameter of the line on the spool and package.  Then I looked up what you have purchased and nothing on the package. LOL  Here is a link that has some info. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/western-filament-tuf-line-xp-1200-yards?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop|Generic|AllProducts|High|SSCCatchAll&gclid=0648975f61b91faea71ff64dd395e2df&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=0648975f61b91faea71ff64dd395e2df

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HI!

I make my own with aluminium wire from Home Depot, laid flat on a counter, nd "cross-rolled" with a flat file (1" wide". The number of file strokes, and the angle of the file in relation to the wire varies the braiding pattern. Not perfect, but cheap, and being solid metal, it keeps any bend or arc you inflect on it. My two cents, for what it's worth...

CT

70 arrogance 3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rick L said:

It’s a good representation. And when you get down to the wire angle, as one mentioned, I’m sure the judges won’t be pulling out their protractor to measure.😆

It is not about what judges do, it is about what looks realistic to me.  Of course if I do enter the model in a contest, that might help.  Of course not many people are bothered by, or notice the braid's angle, but the ones who do will notice the difference (just looking at the lines, not needing to pull out a caliper protractor).

If I have the funds, and I know a source of a better looking braid, I will use it (for my own viewing pleasure).  I don't really build models for the judges -- I do it for my own satisfaction.

Edited by peteski
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, peteski said:

It is not about what judges do, it is about what looks realistic to me.  Of course if I do enter the model in a contest, that might help.  Of course not many people are bothered by, or notice the braid's angle, but the ones who do will notice the difference (just looking at the lines, not needing to pull out a caliper).

If I have the funds, and I know a source of a better looking braid, I will use it (for my own viewing pleasure).  I don't really build models for the judges -- I do it for my own satisfaction.

I prefer using a dial protractor for measuring angles. A caliper involves a little trig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 12:40 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

I would like to note that fishing line becomes smaller in diameter because of better tech. So if you are at a garage sale look for  braided line there.   

Andy, yes, I am thinking that the stuff I remember from when I was young would have the proper look.

 

On 8/13/2021 at 9:46 AM, peteski said:

I don't really build models for the judges -- I do it for my own satisfaction.

Ain't any other reason!

 

On 8/13/2021 at 6:49 AM, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI!

I make my own with aluminium wire from Home Depot, laid flat on a counter, nd "cross-rolled" with a flat file (1" wide". The number of file strokes, and the angle of the file in relation to the wire varies the braiding pattern. Not perfect, but cheap, and being solid metal, it keeps any bend or arc you inflect on it. My two cents, for what it's worth...

CT

 

Claude, I remember trying that when Randy Derr and Jim Drew(?) were doing low-budget, high tech articles on  some ancient clay tablets. When you get it right, it's very convincing! I've revisited it, recently, and find it to be a bit tricky, to get it just "so", but there are applications where I definitely plan  to use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Andy, yes, I am thinking that the stuff I remember from when I was young would have the proper look.

 

Ain't any other reason!

 

Claude, I remember trying that when Randy Derr and Jim Drew(?) were doing low-budget, high tech articles on  some ancient clay tablets. When you get it right, it's very convincing! I've revisited it, recently, and find it to be a bit tricky, to get it just "so", but there are applications where I definitely plan  to use it.

Hi Daniel!

Well, it works for me. I do them in batches, in different aluminium wire sizes. Perfect for brake hoses, fuel lines, heater hoses, and even radiator hoses, if you use the silver solder (solid core) found in electronic shops. 

CT 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...