Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rustoleum 2X Over a Multi-Media Finish

OK.  I've been building for just about 50 years and have made every mistake in regard to the finishing of model car bodies imaginable.  However, experience tells me that despite my in-depth knowledge of paint (lacquer vis-a-vis enamel vis-a-vis acrylic, and all that), stuff can still happen.

So.  I'm about to try a product I've never used before.

I have an MFH Ferrari '58 250TR that needs a clear coat.  Primer is Tamiya TS white primer over TS light grey primer with a color coat of TS Chrome Yellow.  No worries there, I would just normally use TS13 to clear and polish.  But, I just spent a lot of time masking and then airbrushing Testors Dark Red enamel racing stripes onto that body, and then applying white decal-paper roundels on top of all that.

My go-to in this case would be a Testors gloss enamel clear to be on the safe side, but that seems to have become extinct (and, it yellows, despite what Donn Yost says.  Right out of the can).  I tried misting, and then wet-coating, TS-13 onto a scrapped body with a Scalefinishes enamel finish to which I applied a swatch of the Testors Dark Red enamel and a spare white decal paper roundel.  As I expected, the TS13 lifted the enamel on the wet coat (the Scalefinishes and the Testors were attacked, however I could swear I've used TS13 over Scalefinishes paint without adverse affects), however it had no effect on the decal, which I also expected seeing as how I seal my home-made decals with healthy doses of acrylic lacquer, as is recommended by the manufacturer.

I read about, and saw, the finish Chris from the "Space Coast" (I assume you're in FLA, Chris) achieved using the Rustoleum 2X Clear Gloss.  Chris figures it's an enamel in as that clean up calls for mineral spirits, said it goes on real nice, it obviously polishes out well, etc.  So, I figured, what the hell?  Let's give it a try!

Of course, I will do a test before I use the 2X on my TR.  My questions is: are there any red flags about this clear that I should be aware of?  I don't mind stripping a body and starting from zero, but I've put a lot of time into this particular car and, frankly, I'm getting old and impatient and have a lot of other projects to attend to.  I'd really hate for this one to fail.

Thanks in advance.

PB.