Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Kenworth K100 in progress

I've been working on this Kenworth for months now, and I was so pleased to get the chassis finished that I've posted some photos. The main reason for the delay is that I decided to tone down the chrome - and cover up any joins in the diesel tanks and other pieces - by priming it all and then spraying it with Alclad laquer. I quite like the result, which is a bit duller and more like a work truck than a show truck. The delay happended when I got it all primed, then the summer came along and it all sat untouched until November! The cab is silver with a cream and brown interior, plus I need to sort out some owner operator decals for the doors. Hope you like.

S5001574.jpg

S5001579.jpg

S5001581.jpg

S5001582.jpg

Simon,

Great progress so far. I to like the weathering, looks good. The Revell Kenworth Aerodyne COE was the very first truck I built when I got back into building model trucks. I would prefer if the kit manufacturers would not chrome the parts. By the time you have cleaned them up, corrected, modified etc. there is no chrome left. I remember the air intake pipe and exhausts were a pain to fit. Now I would probably make my own rather than rely on the kit ones, that way I know they will fit correctly. The truck sits in the window looking out onto the world and is starting to look a bit worse for wear. Maybe sometime in the future I will restore it? Watch for the fit of the cab floor (it was twisted on mine), fit of the doors and the fit of the cab tilt hinges.

Good Luck with the rest of the project.

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

Thanks for the kind comments, lads. Sorry the photos aren't that good, but I've tried to weather the engine and pipework to look like a well-looked after working truck. I can recommend this kit Chris, the detail is good, but it is not a weekend throw-together! I need a rest, like a kerbside Tamiya, after this project :lol:

You are quite right Dave, the intake and exhaust pipework is really awkward to line up. If you have tube bending skills, I'm sure you could make a much nicer exhaust from scratch. The 2-piece exhaust system is a joke! I bodged the intake pipe at first, and it wouldn't let the cab sit level, so it had to come off and be refitted. I think I must have been lucky with the cab hinges, they seem OK. I really agree on the chrome too, I mean the wheels can look beautiful but other parts - diesel tanks, exhaust stacks, air tanks, air horns - either have a mould seam along the side, or a join seam where they glue together. The alclad looks more like polished bare metal, like a working truck might have. Here is the look I was going for - everyday hauler style (photo from Hanks Truck Pictures without permission)

file0045.jpg

Simon,

I like the working trucks 100 times more than show trucks. For me a show truck is a lot of expense for very little return, on the other hand a working truck is capable of doing the job it was designed to do and earn you a living. With regards to bending tubes for plumming exhausts and other pipe work. I don't bend them. Instead I cut small pieces of tube at varying angles and then glue them together to give the desired curves or bends. When the glue has set I use filler/putty and then sand to the required blend radii. Much easier and better!!

Interestingly the twin Turbo NTC 475 Cummins in the kit would be a quiet running engine but more of a whistle from the twin turbos. It is questionable whether the silencers/mufflers would be required since the twin turbo acts like a baffle. This subject was discussed on the ATHS web site some time ago. Apparently in some of the states if a truck was naturaly aspirated it had to have a silencer/muffler, where as if it was turbocharged it didn't. Does anyone have any further details or information regarding this?

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

• 2 weeks later...