Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for projects, what do you need 3D files for, or printed?


Recommended Posts

On 7/12/2022 at 5:12 AM, Mike C. said:

Any updates on the '73-'75 Ford truck grills?

Yes, I printed the first prototype a few weeks back. It looked good, but had some issues. I have gone back and revised it to fix those issues and I plan for a second print this weekend when I get home. 

The first draft had an open design with the grill inserts, headlights, turnsignals all as separate parts. If I was a master 3D printer, this might have worked. However what works i 3D space in Fusion 360 does not always turn into a good idea in the print bed. I am making it all one part except for the headlight lenses. My hope is that it will print better and hold its shape better. 

I hope to post up some pictures early next week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To all that have asked for the Chevy/GMC Van grills. They are the next on my list and hope to have something for viewing next week. Once I do one, the rest will be easy as they are all the same outer shape, just the centers are different.

While I will do the Mother Jugs and speed grill. I am guessing there will not be a lot of demand for it, or am I wrong?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Side not next week is the last week I will be taking orders on eBay and the week after is the last week I will be shipping from this month, I am headed to Colorado for vacation so if any of these projects are completed before then I will try to get them ready but I am kinda in a holding pattern for new stuff until August.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I promised I had not forgotten about the G10-G20 Chevy grills. So, here is a rendering of the first one. I promise it is not flat like it appears, it has a peak in the middle just like the real things, but it just does not show up very well when rendered in 2D.  

There will still need to be a bumper and valance made. 

The lenses would be separate parts (4) printed in clear resin. Turn signals will be molded in. 

85 G20 Grill v2.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't forget if you are upgrading the AMT Vans to a different year, be sure to add or remove the extra side bump that was added at some point. Some have it all the way (newest) some only behind the doors (Mid cycle) and some none at all (earliest). 

72 G20 Van.jpg

86 Van.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I added a bumper and valence panel. The bumper and valance are fit together but separate part for painting ease.

I think the grill is an 85, but it gets kind of hard to tell with all the options they had back then. 

If you know for sure, please let me know. It is modeled after a real grill, just not positive on the year.

85 G20 Grill v3.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I'm not interested in this particular grill, I like to make a general  observation.  Since you are planning on making separate clear headlight lenses, why not also do the same for the turn signal lenses?  As they are recessed deep inside the grill, they would be difficult to paint cleanly. Plus having clear lenses greatly improves realism of any model.  Chromed, painted white, amber, or red opaque "lenses" never look very good or realistic.

Yes, someone can take a mold of their grill then cast and trim their own clear lenses, then cut out and replace the solid ones with clear.  But that is a lot of extra work (that I sometimes I end up doing in the name of realism).  It is much, much easier to separate the turn signal lenses in your CAD all, and print them separately.  Why not do it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, peteski said:

While I'm not interested in this particular grill, I like to make a general  observation.  Since you are planning on making separate clear headlight lenses, why not also do the same for the turn signal lenses?  As they are recessed deep inside the grill, they would be difficult to paint cleanly. Plus having clear lenses greatly improves realism of any model.  Chromed, painted white, amber, or red opaque "lenses" never look very good or realistic.

Yes, someone can take a mold of their grill then cast and trim their own clear lenses, then cut out and replace the solid ones with clear.  But that is a lot of extra work (that I sometimes I end up doing in the name of realism).  It is much, much easier to separate the turn signal lenses in your CAD all, and print them separately.  Why not do it?

Because printing really small objects in clear never really turn out clear and small parts are never fun anyways. Then there's the clearance issues. It's completely possible though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That grill is the same as the mid 80s pickup, on the real thing the only difference is the mounting tabs. There are two square turn signals, one for each side, mounted behind the grill. That being said, molded in or separate, I think either way is fine. The turn signal lens would only be slightly smaller than the headlight, and it wouldn't be painted as it's clear with an amber bulb. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

Because printing really small objects in clear never really turn out clear and small parts are never fun anyways. Then there's the clearance issues. It's completely possible though.

If the clear 3D printing is good enough for headlight lenses, it should be good enough for turn signals (which are usually not as crystal-clear as headlights. I was hoping not to hear an excuse, but . . .  How about offering the lenses  printed in regular resin (included when buying the grille)? That way modelers who really strive for realism could use them as masters and cast their own clear resin lenses.  That would sure make it easier than trying to make a mold from the turn signals embedded in the grille.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2022 at 11:03 PM, BullysCustomModelParts said:

How about some Ardun heads for Ford flathead V8s and V8-60s. I have tried to design the myself, but my skills aren't nearly as good as yours.

 

most_beautiful_roadster_2013_3-640x425.webp

mg-9439a_1_orig.jpg

ardun.webp

ARDUNart001blue.jpg

7-ARDUN-1small.jpg

Ardun-headers-engine-view.webp

Already done. And they look like your last picture. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2022 at 5:55 AM, peteski said:

If the clear 3D printing is good enough for headlight lenses, it should be good enough for turn signals (which are usually not as crystal-clear as headlights. I was hoping not to hear an excuse, but . . .  How about offering the lenses  printed in regular resin (included when buying the grille)? That way modelers who really strive for realism could use them as masters and cast their own clear resin lenses.  That would sure make it easier than trying to make a mold from the turn signals embedded in the grille.

To be clear (no pun intended) I had yet to respond and say yes or no.  My plan is never to print these, but to offer the file to someone that can. I can make the lenses a separate part, it will be up to the printer to decide if they want to offer it that way or not. 

I have a bottle of clear resin, I've yet to play with it at all. So, I have no experience with clear. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2022 at 5:55 AM, peteski said:

If the clear 3D printing is good enough for headlight lenses, it should be good enough for turn signals (which are usually not as crystal-clear as headlights. I was hoping not to hear an excuse, but . . .  How about offering the lenses  printed in regular resin (included when buying the grille)? That way modelers who really strive for realism could use them as masters and cast their own clear resin lenses.  That would sure make it easier than trying to make a mold from the turn signals embedded in the grille.

Ask, and you shall receive. Now they are separate parts. It will still be up to the printer (not me) to decide if they want to do it that way.

85 G20 Grill v5.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2022 at 7:55 AM, peteski said:

If the clear 3D printing is good enough for headlight lenses, it should be good enough for turn signals (which are usually not as crystal-clear as headlights. I was hoping not to hear an excuse, but . . .  How about offering the lenses  printed in regular resin (included when buying the grille)? That way modelers who really strive for realism could use them as masters and cast their own clear resin lenses.  That would sure make it easier than trying to make a mold from the turn signals embedded in the grille.

Look I will be as honest as I can, I don't want to dedicate a printer to clear parts, I also think that your attitude is piss poor. As a general rule I am pretty easy going but your comments are rude at best. I don't due this to get insulted so...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Those aren't correct. They're supposed to be square without the grill cutouts.

I am very aware of that. However in order for them to print, the grill has to be thicker in depth. So, to get the lights to have the right "Look" once installed, they have to be notched like that. If I did not put the notch in them, they would be recessed into the grill way too far and look silly. See below, with them installed, they look correct. 

One issue with scale models is that you can't always copy the real thing. Styrene or resin, you have to give up some things, or make changes to create the right look, in scale. 

In real life the grill is shelled out hollow on the back side, I could draw it that way, and probably even print it. However it would be so thin and fragile that you would snap it apart just getting it off the supports, let alone trying to handle it and install it in a car. 

85 G20 Grill v9.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Those aren't correct. They're supposed to be square without the grill cutouts.

Looks pretty close to a '85-'90 to me. I'd imagine the grille cutouts on the lights are so they fit up into the grille to the right depth.

TRUCK YOU! 1986 Chevrolet G20 Van - ChevroletForum

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

I did.

We posted at the same time, I think you owe me a drink.😉🍺

I tell you what, next time you swing through Yakima Washington, I will. However, I am more likely to be in your neighborhood then you in mine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

I tell you what, next time you swing through Yakima Washington, I will. However, I am more likely to be in your neighborhood then you in mine. 

You're on. But I wouldn't bet on that last part though. 

1/2 my family lives on Vancouver Island so I may just get to the west coast sometime. I live on the east coast. So far east, you have to go east from Maine to get here.😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...