Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Sedan Gas Tank

Has anyone cast this? I'd love to buy a couple to retrofit to the 5 window chassis. Looked at the instructions online, since I don't have one yet, looks like it might be available in the kit?

Thank you.

Charles

Edited by Calb56
I'm dumb

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious, what is the difference between the sedan kit gas tank and the coupe kit gas tank? 

In 1:1 scale they are the same. There are a couple of different capacities of tanks available but they look very similar and they mount exactly the same. From my experience when building full scale hot rods, the top of the tank is the same no matter what the capacity. The difference comes in how deep The "belly" under the tank is.  I don't know that in scale you would be able to tell the difference between two tanks that only had a few gallons capacity difference.

Ok. I was confused. I thought you meant you wanted to put the 32 sedan gas tank onto the 32 ford coupe. Wasn't sure why you would do that. But putting one onto the 30 ford coupe makes more sense. I have done that conversion to a couple of full scale cars. Done right  it looks like Henry built it that way. If you're putting one on a model a, if the car is on a Model A chassis and fenderless it is tough to get the proportions right. The tank has to be mounted very high sometimes even up into the back of the body in order to look right. On a fenderless Model A coupe (on a stock Model A chassis) for example if the tank is mounted below the bottom of the body it can look like a duck is dragging its butt. If you are using a 32 Ford frame that problem doesn't happen.

A bit of (hopefully) inspiration.

AMT 29 Ford roadster on a Revell 32 Ford chassis.

20201115_231726-vi.jpg

Full scale, full fendered 30 Ford coupe on a stock dimension frame. 

DSCN0067-vi.jpg