Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1996 Chevrolet C3500 Dually Pickup Truck (Snap) ("New Tool")

martinfan5

Something strikes odd with me about the whole C-1500 molds/ new tool thing. IRC the C-1500 was both issued as the promo, and a full detail kit. MPC made the '88 C-1500 in the full detail kit. while the promo were amt which later the full detail kit and promo kit's were issued by AMT/Ertl Then just AMT. So How did round2 keep the C-1500 monster truck molds, and not anything from the other promo or kit molds. It don't make sense that they didn't own the molds, yet can reproduce the monster truck long bed C-1500 ??? The cab, bed, interior  grill, tail lights, and even engine  are stock  Only the  hood, chassis /suspension are monster truck parts. They have to new tool a complete new copy of the c-1500 - 3500?????? This is very strange if you ask me...

On 12/7/2022 at 3:08 PM, SteveG said:

Here's the printed mockup for the Dually.  In the late '80's and 90's a number of promos were contracted out as finished items and we never owned the tooling.  I believe the Dually was part of that group.   Also shown is a partial first test shot for the C1500.  They were designed at the same time but don't actually share any parts. 

-Steve 

PC074506-Edit.png

PC074510-Edit.png

Didn't Riggs drive one of these duallys in Lethal Weapon? That's something I'll have to get!

Edit: never mind, he drove a GMC. Still, it might be worth a kitbash.

Edited by oldcarfan

1 hour ago, oldcarfan said:

Didn't Riggs drive one of these duallys in Lethal Weapon? That's something I'll have to get!

The Phantom Dually snap kit has the GMC grille. Just doesn't have the GMC letters.

3 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

his is exactly what I've earmarked one of my duallies to replicate! Just haven't gotten around to taking it apart and painting it. 

Would make a cool diorama...pulling down the house!

On 12/7/2022 at 4:08 PM, SteveG said:

Also shown is a partial first test shot for the C1500.  They were designed at the same time but don't actually share any parts. 

That is quite odd that they don't share any parts, because the hood, grill, tail light's and tail gate were the same on the Originals thus  could be used on any of the C-1500's to the 3500. The Tahoe was the one that shared nothing with the pickup's! I not only have the promo's of the ese but the full detailed model's of the short bed, long bed and the style side (step side) As  well as the 3500 dually  so I know those parts can be switched from either the 1500 or the 3500.!

• Like 1

Looking forward to these GMT-400s...I built a few of the original issues back in the day ('88 annual, '90 Sportside, the SS454, the 1500 stock snap and 3500 snap kit), never had the custom dooley version.    Given how popular the OBS is in 1:1 these days, hopefully we will see a variety of aftermarket parts...a GMC conversion and cowl hood would be neat.

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, horsepower said:

Steve, I'm unable to make out any of the interior details, but I would really be happy if it was at least offered an option for the factory bench seat w.

The Extra Cabs had bucket seats. The regular cabs had bench seats. They should be able to do it since it's a new tool.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am sure we are in for multiple versions of these kits, the curbsides are likely cheaper to produce and if sales are strong, they will tool up the engines to offer them as full detail. The dually kit was always curbside, at least this time we will have the option of adding an engine of our choice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I wonder.............if the decal sheet will have a pair of random "454" and "SS" decals on the sheet.

The decal sheets are what I'm most interested in. If they can build on top of the decals that were included with the Coca Cola monster truck, that would signal another vast improvement over the original kits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, av405 said:

The decal sheets are what I'm most interested in. If they can build on top of the decals that were included with the Coca Cola monster truck, that would signal another vast improvement over the original kits.

Yeah, decals are one of the areas where they are east to add value to a kit for cheap. Luckily it looks like they have been increasing the decal amount in other kits, so hopefully they continue that here too!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Looking forward to seeing what wheels it has.

Odds are, only one set.

Actually, there will be two sets of wheels. One set is chrome plated as shown on the box art plus a duplicate set but without the plating that you can paint for a work truck style build. 

-Steve 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1