Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ross Gibson Motors

These are resin kits and need to be assembled. You should be able to make them fit into most anything, but some will need more work than others.

You'll have to approach it differently than a kit as well since it is resin. By that I mean preparing the pieces for paint and glue.

Chris

These are resin kits and need to be assembled. You should be able to make them fit into most anything, but some will need more work than others.

You'll have to approach it differently than a kit as well since it is resin. By that I mean preparing the pieces for paint and glue.

Chris

You said a mouthful Chris. I've got a 502 that I've been trying to stuff into a Revell '66 ElCamino. The engine it's self has to be assembled and it's taking (much) more work that I thought it would to fit under the stock hood of the 'Camino.

I have never put together a resin kit. Is there a source where I can get all the info on both assembly and painting? Can resin be glued on to a regular plastic kit?

Resin will take anything for paint even lacuer without a primer. No crazing!

Building will involve some sanding and will make lots of dust if you do it dry. Resin has to be either super glued or epoxyed together. Model glue/cement will not work.

Mr. Can AM,

Thanks for the info. I figured there was something different about this type of material. I must ask, why resin? It seems there is so much in plastic. Are there any advantages with resin?

There are some very nice resin kits, but it seems that most of them are only partial kits and not complete kits. These are new to me, I have never actually seen one, but I am sure that when I finish with the projects I have here, a resin kit would be a great next project. It will be interesting to experiment with one of these.

>I must ask, why resin? It seems there is so much in plastic. Are there

>any advantages with resin?

the advantage of resin is that it is easy to make only a few copies without having to invest millions of dollars (literally) in injection molding equipment that is required to make plastic parts...or at least injection molded plastic parts. resin can be used for 1 to a fair number of copies with little other than the original part and a rubber mold to cast into with possibly some centrifuge like equipment to get rid of bubbles etc.

thats why most garage manufacturers use resin i believe