Model Cars Magazine Forum

List of Moebius Upcoming Kits

Daddyfink

Some of those are second run deals, like the Commandos Plymouth and the stock Comet (unless that is a Comet and not the Cyclone).

The Maverick, on the other hand, IS a big deal.  DD's first '70 Maverick was constructed from a showroom stock car in a very short time frame.  At first, it even had a bench front seat.  That one would be "stock" enough that a showroom version could also be offered...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

Time to start dumping them on fleabay! 

Giggling-gif GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I'm glad that the one I purchased a couple of years ago was inexpensive. It's an original, late-1969-issue annual, 2-in-1, missing only its decals; its styrene slicks were glued together, but that's it. I bought it for two reasons: 
1.) The price was right
2.) It includes the factory-stock goodies (I-6, bench seat - albeit, moulded-in - , wheel covers, etc., etc., in addition to the BOSS 429 and all of the P/S items)

But, yeah... eBay'll be brimming with those Johan-AMT-Testors-et alia kits soon enough.

18 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Factory stock '65 Comet? If that means really straight-from-the-dealer stock - with correct-height front suspension and standard wheel covers and grille - I'm in.

Chris....II expect that this may be a second /FX version that was engineered when the original A/FX version was designed.  I'll leave it to Dave to confirm, deny, or provide further details, but the original engineering work was, as near as I could determine, really well done and fully worthy of an actual kit release.   

Of course, I also realize that is exactly not what you are looking for here...

Best...TB 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm glad that the one I purchased a couple of years ago was inexpensive. It's an original, late-1969-issue annual, 2-in-1, missing only its decals; its styrene slicks were glued together, but that's it. I bought it for two reasons: 
1.) The price was right
2.) It includes the factory-stock goodies (I-6, bench seat - albeit, moulded-in - , wheel covers, etc., etc., in addition to the BOSS 429 and all of the P/S items)

But, yeah... eBay'll be brimming with those Johan-AMT-Testors-et alia kits soon enough.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to grab a couple off the store shelves before they disappeared. The LHS had old stock that was not moving, that is until people figured out that JoHan was done! Then it dried up real fast.

1 hour ago, Khils said:

Go right ahead!

That'll never happen in my lifetime!

0223231319.jpg

Yeah, I am keeping my stuff, but, there is always a dump when things get announced. 

• Like 1

And What would be the difference between the '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone, and the announced Comet Factory Stock kit? Engine, Wheels? Is it just a mixing and matching of parts from the previous two '65 Mercury Comet kits?

I have the Comet Cyclone kits, both the stock and race car versions.
I am wondering if I'll want this new kit too.

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Just a guess here; maybe a 3D scan of the Johan body, with the remainder being designed around the scan? After all, Johan's bodies were - 95% of the time - quite accurate.

I'm with Brian. GOD I HOPE NOT. Johan kits were fine for the advent of color TV but they're badly dated and need to be left in history's dustbin for collectors and nostalgia seekers to enjoy.

The amount of redesign the Johan body would need for modern features like separate door handles and wipers or to accept a proper floorpan chassis with platform style interior instead of a nondescript tub would put it in a position where the labor to design the tooling from the ground up would be equivalent to the labor of sourcing an original, scanning it, and modernizing it.

16 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Time to start dumping them on fleabay! 

Giggling-gif GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Dumping the originals could be a gamble. Many years ago when AMT still existed, there was an ad hanging in a local hobby shop announcing "soon to released" kits from AMT. One of the kits was the '69 Dodge Coronet R/T. It was probably going to have the new (for that time) chassis that was used on the '68 Roar Runner and '70 Super Bee. I had 2 original MPC '69 Coronet R/T's that had been built but were both unpainted with nice chrome and the original boxes. They would have been very easy restorations. I sold them on Ebay for I think about $75.00 each. AMT went belly up, the Coronets never came out, and I was out 2 very nice originals. 

The other side of that is the Revell '30 Model A Coupe. The tooling was damaged and it was unknown if the kit would ever be seen again. Originals were showing up on Ebay for over $100.00 each. Then there was talk that the tooling was going to be repaired. I gambled and sold my 2 unbuilts on Ebay and did quite well.