Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help fixing Door problem

Ok so im cutting the doors off of an 86 Monte Carlo model (The DONK version) and the part up front by the fenders has come apart from continuous pressure. (the windshield to window piece and the bottom molding to front fender piece) so now my engine part is dangling.

Whats the best fix for this? Just glue it or should i use putty and then sand it down? I was trying to be careful cause I could tell it was fragile with the doors being gone. But no luck.

Surely some of you guys have had this problem when cutting the doors. How did you fix it?

Ok so im cutting the doors off of an 86 Monte Carlo model (The DONK version) and the part up front by the fenders has come apart from continuous pressure. (the windshield to window piece and the bottom molding to front fender piece) so now my engine part is dangling.

Whats the best fix for this? Just glue it or should i use putty and then sand it down? I was trying to be careful cause I could tell it was fragile with the doors being gone. But no luck.

Surely some of you guys have had this problem when cutting the doors. How did you fix it?

Why don't you post a picture here so we can better understand the problem, and then maybe we can help you ;) - dave

The only thing i can think of would be to attach a piece of plastic strip about .015 thick and use a liquid glue such as Testors or Tenax as super glue wont penetrate the material. The idea here is to actually "Weld " the two pieces together . Sometimes it's not a good idea to have opening doors . You need to see if before you cut doors and the like open that there is sufficient material left over after the cuts are made . Ed Shaver

The exact same thing happened with my JoHan 3 way build. Be very careful handling the body, because it will break off at the lower door frame. I used strip brass to stiffen the door frame.

What I plan to do is use some more brass pins when I glue the windshield posts back down, but I going to wait until just before I paint the body....

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

yeah it happened on one side at the lower door area too B)

Right after i did it and posted this topic i started searching and found that really no one cuts the whole door out with a knife...foolish me, I wondered why it took me 2hrs per door. From now on I will do the friction string thing. ARGH!

I saw some of that plasti weld stuff the other day at the hobby shop. I will test that method out Ed.

@Custom, I dont understand what your talking about with the brass thing. Im no expert. do you have pics I could see to help visualize?

Here's a pic of using brass rod for holding the body together....

I carved a channel out with a Dremel tool....

IMG_0463.jpg

Then I used epoxy to glue the rod in....

IMG_0476.jpg

If you use brass strip, you just need to sand a flat spot along the area where you attach it. I owe the credit of this idea to a friend of mine; Ken Hamilton. He's the one who showed me how to keep the body from breaking.

ok I think I see where your going with that....

so just take like a piece of wire from a coat hanger straighten it and then attach it with glue on each side and use putty to mold around it and the inside of the body?

A coat hanger would be to big around. You could also use paper clips they are the right size of wire. Plus they are cheaper than brass rod. Just straiten it out as flat as you can. Epoxy is a two part glue and comes in two bottles. You have to mix it together to make it work. Regular glue will not stick to metal.

Edited by mustanglover1951

Ok heres another tip.Got to your LHS and get some zap a gap and some kicker(accelerator).Then get some brass tubing and do custom hearse's idea.As for the piller if there is a missing part(looks like there is)well my friend just remeber scratch building is fun.Hope this helps you a bit.

I would use straight pins on the posts. I drill a hole in the post at each point where it is broken. I use a pin vice for this operation. Use a drill bit the same size as the straight pin. Glue with Tenax or Proweld, then a tiny bit of epoxy glue. Here is a view of the pin insrted and the pin vice:

IMG_4128_edited-1.jpg

no missing part to the pillar (thats the part between windshield and window right? not a car guy) just very little to attach back to after scoring the door out...

Well you got lucky bro just glue it down with zap a gap then put some kicker on it and boom within about 2 mins its all good.

WARNING Do not get zap a gap on your fingers then spray the kicker on it you will have 3rd degree burns in about 5 mins :)B) .