Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1970 Corvette LT-1


mustang1989

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Mike.

Been out of the loop for the last week or so. My wife has had a kidney stone that she cannot pass so we're waiting on an appointment now to get it removed after all the Xrays and urology appointments. 

 

I worked on the suspension yesterday and today and sanded all of the molded in wiring off of the inner fender liners/ engine sidewalls. I'll be going back with actual wire harnesses from scratch on this one.

I had the front suspension all painted up and ready for the application of tonal variations between parts when I noticed something off. One thing I learned at the Nats was not to "let certain things go" and I almost did it here.

See the mold lines going chordwise on the leading edges of the control arms?

 

A9Rmhm.jpg


I sanded them off and re-applied the paint. There.....much better!

JOhcEJ.jpg

Sorry to hear that about your wife.  In May I had colostomy surgery and I also had a kidney stone(didn't even know I had one)removed.

And like I said in my previous post, your killing it Buddy.  Keep up the great work, thats gonna be on fine Vette!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Sorry to hear that about your wife.  In May I had colostomy surgery and I also had a kidney stone(didn't even know I had one)removed.

And like I said in my previous post, your killing it Buddy.  Keep up the great work, thats gonna be on fine Vette!!

Thank you for the good word Mike. We should have a path forward as of today. It's been a looooooooooooong week man.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Looking good Joe.👍

Thanks Jeremy,

Little bit by little bit the chassis is getting more complete. About the only things I have left to do now is the exhaust install, apply black BMF over the fuel tank retaining straps and tone down that crossmember to a semi-gloss finish. That'll be easy enough to do as it's just laid in place in the photo below. I will say that getting the exhaust pipe placement may be a little tricky but what I'll do to help that process along is to build another mockup engine from one of the three kits that I have of this car and tack into the chassis so that they'll be in just the right spot. I simply CANNOT believe that this build has taken me this long so far. 

Qx1YP4.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

 I simply CANNOT believe that this build has taken me this long so far. 

 

Yeah, but it’ll totally be worth it.  You’ll be much happier when it’s finished.  And besides, it’s no race.  Enjoy the process.  I know you will too.

 

That being said, I can’t wait for you to get into the body.  I’m slowly tinkering with this same kit.  Watch out for the mold lines by the door handles.  Yikes.😱 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

Yeah, but it’ll totally be worth it.  You’ll be much happier when it’s finished.  And besides, it’s no race.  Enjoy the process.  I know you will too.

 

That being said, I can’t wait for you to get into the body.  I’m slowly tinkering with this same kit.  Watch out for the mold lines by the door handles.  Yikes.😱 

LOL!! I've already seen that. spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Superb work for sure! Fine detailing.

Thanks Donato. 

Had some time today to get some major progress done in regard to the chassis. Managed to clean the exhaust pipes up of all mold lines and paint them up. Mufflers were treated to a Matte Aluminum BMFing. I mocked up a spare engine and set it in place with the chassis upside down to give me an idea of where to position the exhaust and once positioned, installed the crossmember and glued everything into place.

I also received my Black BMF in the mail yesterday so I was able to put that down over the fuel tank retaining straps. Pretty much finished up here save for the exhaust tips installation which will happen once the body is installed permanently over the chassis/ interior module.

7coYJX.jpg

rIahX8.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Donato. 

Had some time today to get some major progress done in regard to the chassis. Managed to clean the exhaust pipes up of all mold lines and paint them up. Mufflers were treated to a Matte Aluminum BMFing. I mocked up a spare engine and set it in place with the chassis upside down to give me an idea of where to position the exhaust and once positioned, installed the crossmember and glued everything into place.

I also received my Black BMF in the mail yesterday so I was able to put that down over the fuel tank retaining straps. Pretty much finished up here save for the exhaust tips installation which will happen once the body is installed permanently over the chassis/ interior module.

7coYJX.jpg

rIahX8.jpg

Interesting how you used BMF on the mufflers.  Question for ya about the black BMF.  I have a sheet bought severasl years ago.  When I burnished it the black was coming off.  Is the new stuff better??

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2023 at 1:16 PM, TransAmMike said:

Interesting how you used BMF on the mufflers.  Question for ya about the black BMF.  I have a sheet bought severasl years ago.  When I burnished it the black was coming off.  Is the new stuff better??

I wished I had better news for you on that front Mike. The new Black BMF seems to have the same issue with too low of tack on the adhesive side. The way I look at it is that you have to know what you're getting into when using it but it works out well to the patient builder. 

On 10/6/2023 at 4:27 PM, slusher said:

Good looking chassis Joe!

 

9 hours ago, kelson said:

Lots of great detail work put into this build!.

Thank you Carl and Curtis for tagging along and for the comments.

 

The next phase of this build will be the installation of the left and right inner fenderwells and detailing them out. I'll be routing engine electrical and headlight vacuum line harnesses on these and then detailing out the engine firewall.

These photos came from my good buddy Brent and will come in handy for the details and build up.


IlVOKb.jpg        G16OTk.jpg


VegsyO.jpg        pOSRma.jpg


LoFAvN.jpg        gv2V94.jpg


X5y9Jp.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Alright.....it's been way too long since my last update so I'll just catch you all up to where I'm at right now with this one......

As with all detailed builds....a guy has to know when to call it and this is where I'm calling it. There are a couple more things that I could add but how far does a guy go?

In any case....this part is completed. I'm now moving on to the car body so I can get this puppy wrapped up this month.

YVpiph.jpg


5CodDn.jpg


6PedyF.jpg

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes sir! As Trevor said above ^^ your usual clean crisp building techniques. I still need to revisit a few of your builds to learn more about how you capture the subtle shades of black. I’ve mentioned it before, but it really makes a huge difference in the overall look of a finished model. Well done!

Cheers, Steve

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2023 at 5:49 PM, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Donato. 

Had some time today to get some major progress done in regard to the chassis. Managed to clean the exhaust pipes up of all mold lines and paint them up. Mufflers were treated to a Matte Aluminum BMFing. I mocked up a spare engine and set it in place with the chassis upside down to give me an idea of where to position the exhaust and once positioned, installed the crossmember and glued everything into place.

I also received my Black BMF in the mail yesterday so I was able to put that down over the fuel tank retaining straps. Pretty much finished up here save for the exhaust tips installation which will happen once the body is installed permanently over the chassis/ interior module.

7coYJX.jpg

rIahX8.jpg

Love to watch as this progresses.  Being a huge C3 fan (and former owner) I’m taking notes too.  Oh, just in case it might affect any further detailing, the item with the restraining straps is the spare tire carrier.  For once, Fortune smiled on me and I never had to use it.
 

Sounds like you were able to burnish the black BMF down without it flaking?  Good to hear.  I’m not sure I’d be that lucky.

Edited by Monty
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...