Model Cars Magazine Forum

What was your first model car?

On 6/21/2023 at 10:08 AM, Rodent said:

My first 1/25th scale kits were the AMT '64 Galaxie Craftsman, molded in kind of a burgandy, and an AMT "Trophy" '49 Ford. I got them at the same time when I was 7 and had my tonsils out. I was able to put the '64 together, but Dad helped with the '49. He built a few kits in the early 1960s after having a work accident that left him pretty much disabled for about 3 years.

I had smaller scale kits, ships, and planes as well. I really don't remember if they came before or after the Fords.

I still have my 64 Ford galaxie with a 427 it's so old that the Chrome on the front bumper and grill is disappearing and turning to the White plastic. 😵‍💫😱

7 hours ago, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

I wish at that time somebody made an Edsel so I could use the tail lights on a 57 Ford.

You mean the Edsel wagon lights in the '57 kit? I have a set of the pieces that came in the original release of the '57 that accepted those lenses. 

• Like 1

Andy: so make a mold and resin-copy them for posterity?  :-<)

Delivering PPG paint to a local body shop five years ago. I saw a 'barn' custom '57 Ford with Edsel lenses AND a '57 DeSoto grille -- classic!  Completely dechromed, otherwise, in white.   

Wick

A 1/32nd scale Airfix Bentley Blower way back I think in the late 50's early 60's. They have flogged this old kit with its solid wire wheels to death over the years as re releases. 

Funny thing is though, Airfix got the radiator winged B badge in the correct position on this ancient  kit, but cocked up badly on their big 1/12th scale Blower despite having access to the actual car. The big one has been re released a number of times without this glaring error ever being corrected, but oddly enough somewhere down the line they took the time and trouble to change the number plate! The newer number plate is on a car that is owned by Bentley Motors, so possibly it may have had to be changed due to a licencing issue? Ralph Lauren owns the blower with the original plate that Airfix had on the model. His car was previously owned by Tony Bamford the boss of JCB. It was whilst in the hands of its further previous owner Neil Corner that Airfix produced the 1/12th scale kit.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

These weren't the very first models I built but close to it. They left a lasting impression on me though. Been wanting to get the '66 Impala again and build it as a stock car like I did when I was a kid.

amt_66impala.jpg

revell_57chevy.jpg

• Like 1

To the best of my memory my first model car was "the Deuce" a 1932 Model B Ford from AMT in 1959.  I was 8 years old at the time and my oldest sister who always had an interest in art and painting helped me assemble it.  I'm pretty sure we didn't paint it but I seem to recall applying decals.  A few years later I had more success building the Visible V8 which I found tremendously informative in the operation of the internal combustion engine.  I've built models off and on over the years but only since retirement in 2016 have I become immersed in the hobby.

Mine was either the Monogram Green Hornet or the Black Widow. When I run across the tires or moon discs at swap meets, I get an instant flashback to 1961 or 1962. 

We had a Christmas gift exchange when I was in 2nd grade in our school, it had to be real cheap stuff, new or used. I got a Pyro Jersey Bounce kit... not my style at the time. I swapped it to my older brother for a used Hardy Boys book.

• Like 1

Im pretty sure it was a red Jaguar. I was young, in the early 70s, and my dad enrolled me in this model of the month club. Every month they sent you a model kit, packed nicely in a brown, cardboard box, in the mail. My very first model from the club was the Lunar Module, and the second was the red Jaguar. One of those long nose, 12 cylinder cars. So not my first model, but my first car model. 

• Like 2

1940 ford panel truck and 40 ford touring given to me by my dad from his collection of unbuilt kits from the 50s still have both in cabinet were they been since 1974 when I built them after that they bought me kits 1-2 a month plus every gift I gotten from anyone was a model car or truck still to this day never had time to build them all my 3rd kit was vega poison kit still have but needs restoration because dad was a Chevy man and had lots cars at one time got lots Chevy kits 

On 3/29/2024 at 8:18 AM, TonyK said:

These weren't the very first models I built but close to it. They left a lasting impression on me though. Been wanting to get the '66 Impala again and build it as a stock car like I did when I was a kid.

amt_66impala.jpg

revell_57chevy.jpg

I share your interest in the '66 Impala SS being an original owner of a 1:1 back in the day. I also built the AMT kit when it came out and it would still be a great kit and the price of one may be more affordable now with the Revell model on the market. I would suggest trying to build the Revell version as it is slightly better with additional detailing that AMT did not have. Much the same can be said for the Revell kit in the box you show. 

Bob, funny you should mention the old Mono tires; I had the Green Hornet, Model A tub, Sizler, and some other of their kits, and all the tires are gone from my parts box -- which is unusual 'cause I don't toss things away.  The funny Moon discs, yes.  I never liked the Mono axle/wheel mounting, and it broke easily. (I had three younger brothers!)  In rebuilding these old models, I have been stuck with 1/25 sizes.  I did the repop 'Slingshot' this year, and was able to swap some Sizler slicks and 5-spokers onto it, which are a bit too modern (intro in '63) for the late-50's style kit. 

Finding tires nowadays that look like the old Firestone Super-Sport (Indy or road racing) skins is difficult, and I need some.  Most are 1/24, also; my Strombecker Scarab and Comet Panther kits had them, but only one now is in my stash.  I wonder if anyone has a source for this profile tire?  Resin or 3-D would be okay.  I want to finish builds of two vintage Bonneville-racers, but need the tires.  I tried Indycals resins, but they seem undersized for my kits, even tho 1/25.  If I were really adept at casting, I'd make some of the Comet tire that I still have, at least.  I get too many rejects when I attempt tires!  The old 'Stones were really tall profiles, as one can see in photos of old skool racers, and many cars ran big 'n littles, requiring two sizes.  I tried 'Wanted' but not much luck.  Oh well...  Wick

On 4/7/2024 at 11:28 PM, Brutalform said:

Im pretty sure it was a red Jaguar. I was young, in the early 70s, and my dad enrolled me in this model of the month club. Every month they sent you a model kit, packed nicely in a brown, cardboard box, in the mail. My very first model from the club was the Lunar Module, and the second was the red Jaguar. One of those long nose, 12 cylinder cars. So not my first model, but my first car model. 

This one?

IMG_0373.thumb.jpeg.746a6d6220e55392393cdccb9af2dfcd.jpeg

IMG_0377.thumb.jpeg.01b5a4586b8863b7b058d43b9d40c83d.jpeg

Edited by Bainford

My mom gave me a Monogram 1934 Ford to put together on a trip to see my older brother who was stationed in Norfolk. 

I was 7 years old... and the car ended up looking like a 7 year old tried to put it together in the back of a '57 Chrysler. 

It was the start though!  

image.png.409845fe278a2e8f8aef867cada772b8.png

Edited by Big_John