Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lacquer on rubber tires?

Yes, you need to use acrylic paints or Future on tires. The plasticizers in the tire compound won't allow enamels to ever dry on tires. I used Tamiya on these, one coat under the tire decals to give them a good surface to adhere to and one on top to even out the shine.

20221124_132231.jpg.8a8ca558cee7ea284ff2275eeecd7cee.jpg

• Like 2

I would not leave it (perpetually sticky) under decals or under another layer of paint.

You can try using paint thinner (like Testors or even hardware store brand) to remove it.  If that doesn't do it, try 91% or stronger Isopropyl alcohol.  Neither should attack the rubber or vinyl tire.  If that wont' do it, try lacquer thinner (but first test it on the back side of the tire).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peteski said:

I would not leave it (perpetually sticky) under decals or under another layer of paint.

You can try using paint thinner (like Testors or even hardware store brand) to remove it.  If that doesn't do it, try 91% or stronger Isopropyl alcohol.  Neither should attack the rubber or vinyl tire.  If that wont' do it, try lacquer thinner (but first test it on the back side of the tire).

Good idea. I'll give that a try. Thanks.