Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plastic Performance Products Tires.

bytownshaker

I scuff them with fine grit sandpaper or scotch bite,sand the tread with a heavier grit, wash them, tape up the tread surface, light coat of gloss clear. Let them dry a couple days, apply lettering decals, let them dry for a few days, then spray with a flat clear. Sounds like a lot, but it's not that hard and the results are worth it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shark said:

I scuff them with fine grit sandpaper or scotch bite,sand the tread with a heavier grit, wash them, tape up the tread surface, light coat of gloss clear. Let them dry a couple days, apply lettering decals, let them dry for a few days, then spray with a flat clear. Sounds like a lot, but it's not that hard and the results are worth it.

This is about what I do. I wash the tires with hot soapy water, scuff the sidewalls lightly with scotchbrite, sand the treads. I use mainly Shabo tire transfers. I have Good Year varieties, Firestone, Hoosier and McCrearys.

I have used tire decals that come with the tires, they work well. I have had some damaged in the packaging of the tires. I use the overnight rule in lots of things, the tire decals fall into this. I then take them outside and put a light coat of Dullcote spray to protect the decals or transfers. Too heavy and the transfers get muddy and blur. I used to use 2 coats spaced out, now I find that 1 is good enough.

11 hours ago, Shark said:

Forgot to mention in my previous response, after putting the decal lettering on and letting them dry, I mist transparent smoke spray paint on them to tone the white down some.

I will have to try this. Is there a brand of paint you prefer?

8 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I will have to try this. Is there a brand of paint you prefer?

Tamiya (TS71), it sprays a lot finer than the other brands.

By the way, where do you find Shabo transfers. I used to use them but haven't been able to find them

• Like 1

Shabos, they are hard to come by. I have quite a bit but they have a shelf life. Older ones don't work so well, to get a set of 4 successful ones, I may waste 1 or 2.

I used to pick them up at shows mostly, also eBay. Try this one guy in Michigan, Model Empire. He sells at shows but has an eBay store. If you don't see them, give him a call.

Thanks on the TS-71, I will add it to my wish list. I have a couple of Dullcote cans, but not sure if Testors still makes them.

Edited by bobss396