Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits you can't seem to have enough of.

We were discussing this at our show yesterday. I was selling some kits that I probably had 5 to 8 of in my stash. 

Favorites: AMT '40 Ford, '49 Ford and Mercury, '32 Fords. Any cheap NASCAR kit that can be pillaged for parts. MPC modifieds, I have by the case. Funny they were not selling at $15 per. I also have a bunch of AMT early modifieds, despite the cumbersome chassis to build, they are nice kits.

I love the diversity in this list. My weakness back in the day, any Revell ASA kits, mainly for kit bashing. And any Fat Fender and 49/50 Mercs, whether Rods or Customs. Over the past few years I have culled the model herd quite a bit just keeping a few kits to stay busy with. Though lately, thanks to the guys in our group,  Ravenna Automotive Modelers Society | Facebook I have been search for Pro Street deals.

• Like 1

I have too many 69 Camaros from Revell, both in snap and glue form, to count. Half of the built models in my display case are 69 Camaros, with the Revell 63 Corvette snappers in a close second. I also have accumulated a bunch of MPC Jeep CJ-5 kits and the 84 GMC Deserter kits. The Deserter kits will be donors for some other kit conversions.

I’ve got a few kits I consider staples…actually, not even specific kits as SUCH but kits of particular cars I know I’m going to want to build a lot of.  

Model Ts, Model As, Deuces (any shape or window count), 34 Ford trucks and VW Beetles…if those were the only kits available to me for the rest of my life, I probably still wouldn’t run out of projects to accomplish…but those still only constitute probably 50% of my stash…

• Like 1

For me, it's the 88-98 Chev/GMC trucks. I've always loved these, and just seem to be able to find them for cheap.

I have a few dozen of these in various versions, plus a couple of boxes full of parts for them. Could probably build another dozen or so from the parts. 

Oddly enough, I haven't bothered picking up either of the reissues yet. I guess when I can find the originals for significantly less money, it just isn't worth buying the new.

I also gather Porsches. At last count, I'm at 41.

• Like 1

Revell Mustangs.  I've got 5-6 1969-70 of various versions (Boss 429, Mach One, Boss 302) and at least that many early '90's (CHP car, GT).  AND as soon as I find the '71 on a  store shelf it will be added to the collection.  Add to that 3 or 4 S-197 (2004 to 2014 body style) for obvious reasons.

Edited by The Junkman

There are certain kits that I collect, and have every issue of (AMT '59 El Camino for example).  But for some reason I've been picking up early issue MPC '75-'76 Dart Sport kits whenever I have seen them.  The recent reissues are still in good shape, I have one of each.  I guess that keeps prices down on earlier issue kits.  I bought one as a donor kit for a pro stock Demon resin body, but wound up cutting the taillight panel out of the resin body and grafting it into the Dart body.  I've got front wheel openings from an LA Dart body to graft in (the resin body was a copy of an original Demon, and the Duster wheel openings weren’t corrected).  I'll wait for the new Demon kit and use that one as a guide to tying up the loose ends on the conversion.

Pre-Round 2 reissue Darts (often called Dusters on the box) have the molded-in exhaust pipes removed from the chassis (Round 2 put them back).  And these kits have some of the engine parts from the pro stock issues.  The engines and chassis can be used in rebuilding annual kits, as can the glass.  

Any and all Mustang's, mostly Mustang II's last count I have around 15, Fox body's I think I have around 20 of those and the AMT 67 Mustang fastback built only one so far but have 4 more. And a mention to the resin Mustang station wagon body. I had 8 of those, sold some, built one so far.