Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need tips On building a dio Base..

cruzn

My honest suggestion would be to start by looking though the archives here to see if there is anything that fits what you are wanting to do. If I remember right, there was someone that did something very similar.

If that doesn't work for you, I honestly HATE to plug another web site, but The Model Builders web site has some real good discussions on Diorama building. Click the link below to visit them.

The Model Builders Web Site

Hope this helps,

-Scott H.

Hi Dwayne

There a few basics to consider before you start.

1) Size! how many cars do yo wish to display at a time? how much room do you have.

2) Material for base. Plywood or particle board (MDF) will all work but they are heavier than Stytrofoam. Again size determines the structural strength needed for the base.

3) Subject matter? Are you going to show the starting line/christmas tree (most comon design used)? Finish line with win lights and speed traps? Pits with pre/post run activities? or Staging lanes to show lots of vehicles?

The one thing about a drag strip is that the terrain is dead flat and usuall all asphalt or concrete

Once you have these basic questions answered then you can start building in the details

Good luck

Carl

Hi Dwayne

There a few basics to consider before you start.

1) Size! how many cars do yo wish to display at a time? how much room do you have.

2) Material for base. Plywood or particle board (MDF) will all work but they are heavier than Stytrofoam. Again size determines the structural strength needed for the base.

3) Subject matter? Are you going to show the starting line/christmas tree (most comon design used)? Finish line with win lights and speed traps? Pits with pre/post run activities? or Staging lanes to show lots of vehicles?

The one thing about a drag strip is that the terrain is dead flat and usuall all asphalt or concrete

Once you have these basic questions answered then you can start building in the details

Good luck

Carl

Carl...

well Of course I will be using the Xmas tree and starting area. I got a Plug in Model cars Mag with that.

I figure about 18 inches will be the Length that I am shooting for..

the starting area will be My main focus. the tree( which I have )

Mainly I was wondering about the surface of the strip itself..

I didn't want to use sandpaper . even tho that looks ok..

I was thunking about the Material Underneath to be a dense foam Like tyvex for insulation purposes on a House

and was curious in I need a barrier under that?

or just a coat of Paint and go from there..

thanks

My honest suggestion would be to start by looking though the archives here to see if there is anything that fits what you are wanting to do. If I remember right, there was someone that did something very similar.

If that doesn't work for you, I honestly HATE to plug another web site, but The Model Builders web site has some real good discussions on Diorama building. Click the link below to visit them.

The Model Builders Web Site

Hope this helps,

-Scott H.

Scott.

thanks for that tip.. I did go back and Look in the archives here and did see a thread that will work.. I even commented on it a Year or so ago.. I had forgot that I had seen that Thread here..